What to do when a luthier doesn't deliver?

Hi and thanks for all the comments. There's a lot to respond to if I were to answer each post individually and you all have very good points and/or useful ideas. Believe me, I'm kicking myself for some of the decisions I made in 2013, but when I first ordered that guitar my life circumstances were quite different to how they are now. Every delay in production has represented extra cost to me which has become a burden.

I can say that I've spoken to a local lawyer already who has collected and assembled some useful information about the builder indicating that he is alive and his business is in operation. How I'll proceed is as yet undecided on my part. I have to consider the various costs of the proceedings vs the actual value of the guitar and my investment up to this point.

I think what I had really hoped for by posting this story was that maybe somebody would offer some information about the builder and their dealings with him. I thought if any readers were in the same boat or if they knew somebody else who was that the ID of the builder would be obvious. Either that or perhaps that the 'flames' from the thread might prompt the builder to address the issue personally. I am still in a huge hole regarding verifiable information on the instrument due to the fact that I can only go on what the builder has relayed to me via numerous emails and a single long phone call. The photographs I've received do not tell much of a story.

Regarding the question on why I would trust this guy -- I had spoken to two people who played his guitars in the past but neither had exactly 'regular' customer relations with him as they are high profile players and both located in the USA; not just a pleb Aussie fusion addict like me. One is now deceased, the other had not purchased the guitar directly from the builder. Both vouched for the quality of the builder's work; one encouraged me to wait it out as he was certain the guitar would appear eventually.

There was only a reader who contacted me personally and from our discussions we determined that he had work done by this luthier on his guitars in the past when he lived in Monterey. He had nothing bad to say about the guy and in fact complimented his work. But he did say that the luthier in question was S...L...O...W! Not new info.

I'm still hoping that perhaps the luthier is actually working on the guitar and that there will be some imminent contact prior to me having to commence any legal proceedings against the guy. He has been very personable and helpful in his actual communications. He just disappears for long periods and often. Maybe he was really just having a bad patch? God only knows.

However, the fact remains, no matter how bad things may get for an individual, it pays to keep your customers in the loop and the questioning of your professional reliability out of the forums.

I'll certainly update this post should I have any further information that would be useful to the community.

Thanks All!

Last edited:
Wow, what a nightmare. The only custom build I have had was a Holdsworth headless by Carvin, and was stress free and timely, obviously not the same type of situation..although I’m guessing that the late great A.H. Might have been one of the guys you consulted about your lame ass luthier.

Wow, what a nightmare. The only custom build I have had was a Holdsworth headless by Carvin, and was stress free and timely, obviously not the same type of situation..although I’m guessing that the late great A.H. Might have been one of the guys you consulted about your lame ass luthier.
HH2X?

I'm puzzled by your reluctance to give his name. As it stands, speculation points to Bill DeLap. If it isn't him, he is getting some undeserved conjecture from those of us who are guessing. If it is him, he deserves to be called out and other potential customers deserve to be informed of your experience with him, as long as all details are factual. You haven't attacked him personally or presented hyperbole. You've even given him the benefit of the doubt. You are a more patient man than I.

I just ordered a chambered Kiesel Vader 6. Eleven week delivery with a custom top that was hand-picked, cut, and finished by Kiesel himself. With all of Kiesel's options, outstanding pricing, and superb customer service and communication, I'm not surprised DeLap has vanished.

Last edited:
I guess I'm just treading carefully around identifying the luthier because I didn't know where things stood up until now.

Update: Since Saturday the builder has contacted me several times. He seems to be making progress and even sent a picture with a promise of more to come today/tomorrow. He actually gave some pretty reasonable explanations as to his current delays and appears to be making amends.

Over the weekend I was in communication with two guys who own guitars built by him - both reported that he can be difficult with his constant delays but worth the wait for great instruments.

I have no intention of seeking to have this thread deleted as I think it should be out there for others to help them make good decisions about the builder they choose. I hope that in the near future I can report about the finalization of the instrument. Thanks for the support, information and good advice thus far.

Last edited:
Man, sorry for all your troubles - that really stinks. But yeah - 4 years - there isn't an excuse that anyone could offer that could explain that to me. Just out of principal I would have done whatever I could to get all of my money back and outed him everywhere. Especially for the sh***y customer service. Huge pet peeve of mine though. And of course, also as stated - things might be more tricky dealing internationally.

I really hope things work out for you and that you DO get a great guitar that you love out of the deal, especially for all the hassle and heartache you've had to put up with.

Last edited:
Update: Since Saturday the builder has contacted me several times - I don't think he was prompted by the gearpage post.
:rolleyes:
He actually gave some pretty reasonable explanations as to his current delays.
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just keep telling yourself .... 75% of payment made .... and it's been four years now !!

I suggest you keep your posts updated at least once a week - they seem to have some strange coincidental link with communication lines being opened again.

The end result remains to be seen. I'll certainly report if anything happens.

As an aside, there's a lot more interest in this story than any of the threads I read relating to guitar synthesis and MIDI controllers! I guess it's something we can all relate to :)

And, let it be known...I love this forum! Go Fractal Audio!

Hi Fractal Audio forumites,

I’m please to inform you that the luthier I posted about originally has finally delivered the guitar I had been so worried about. It took close to 5 years but it’s in my hands now. I’m very happy with the guitar and certainly can’t fault the craftsmanship or the tone/resonant quality it embodies. Honestly, I still don’t understand exactly why it took so long but the builder showed himself to be a decent fellow in our exchanges surrounding the final payments and delivery of the instrument. It was a pretty hot topic for a while there but I’m glad I can finally lay it to rest and get down to playing some music on a really fine instrument now. Thanks for all the input everybody gave along the way.

Cheers,
Luke

Glad you FINALLY got your guitar.. but seriously, FIVE years ?????
You have FAR more patience than I, but being 1/2 way around the globe does limit one's ability to "fight back" and address the delays.
Did you ever find out why it took so long?

Hi Fractal Audio forumites,

I’m please to inform you that the luthier I posted about originally has finally delivered the guitar I had been so worried about. It took close to 5 years but it’s in my hands now. I’m very happy with the guitar and certainly can’t fault the craftsmanship or the tone/resonant quality it embodies. Honestly, I still don’t understand exactly why it took so long but the builder showed himself to be a decent fellow in our exchanges surrounding the final payments and delivery of the instrument. It was a pretty hot topic for a while there but I’m glad I can finally lay it to rest and get down to playing some music on a really fine instrument now. Thanks for all the input everybody gave along the way.

Cheers,
Luke

Great!

Can we see a photo of such beauty?

Back
Top Bottom