What to do when a luthier doesn't deliver?

He kindly gave me very a small discount but we negotiated for me to provide some of my own parts/case to cut costs which helped. Fortunately, a friend assisted in the delivery which greatly reduced the overall cost - shipping/insurance/tax could've been a killer.

Yes, I do post a lot on the vguitar forum! I have two guitars with FTP systems mounted - one with GK & FTP, the other a solo FTP. One I purchased for this guitar but hasn't been/won't be installed in the traditional sense.

It's a longish complicated story why there's no FTP on this guitar now, but if you're interested please read on.

The build was ordered in 2013 when I was committed to GK tech - I used various Roland/Boss GR/GI/VG/GP devices over the years. I eventually had a chance to try an FTP in 2016 and fell in love instantly. I decided I wanted both GK/FTP in the guitar but there was no space with the pickup routing/placement and Fishman don't make an internal kit for consumers. The builder and I vacillated over whether or not to scrap the GK noting it had already been routed for the installation. I tested Midi Guitar 2 as a possible cheap yet effective alternative at one stage - I still dabble with it quite a bit. So much changed in the guitar synthesis world since 2013 - It's been hard to keep up!!!

I also still had some Roland/Boss and later Antares gear that I liked to use. So I decided to research how I might modify the existing installation to accommodate a modular FTP system. I did a proof of concept with a Roland Ready Strat (with help from vguitar forum members) where I hooked an FTP into the board of the GK with a custom built cable that enabled simultaneous GK/FTP output via a single hex pickup. Unfortunately, I wasn't entirely happy with the weaker signal results and I lacked the technical expertise to develop the mod in order to solve the problem at the time. Also, it was kind of clunky, required more invasive drilling, and could easily fall off.

I'm currently talking to a custom electronics guy about how to make a 13-pin cable --> FTP device so I can simply plug the FTP into the 13-pin slot when I need wireless MIDI in addition to the GK. It's definitely possible. To be continued...

I will get around to posting some sound samples soon. I made some vids of me testing it out on the first day it arrived but they were badly filmed and recorded with straight iPhone audio. I need to redo 'em.

Thanks for all the kind words about the guitar! I'm still glowing :)

Back
Top Bottom