What Studio Monitors

maxolla

Inspired
I've recently been forced to buy some studio monitors to replace the ones my son blew up for me. They were Rokit 5s. I have to say I like the sound of them for electronic music but they did not represent guitar modeled tone so well. That being said the price point on them was pretty decent.

Mark said that he uses the M-audio BX8s so I'm considering checking them out. What monitors are yall using and how do you like them with your Axe setups?

Love my JBL LSR 305P set. I read a lot about them before buying and decided that you would need to be paying 4-5x as much to get anything that sounded noticeably better.

Love my JBL LSR 305P set. I read a lot about them before buying and decided that you would need to be paying 4-5x as much to get anything that sounded noticeably better.
Cool, do you have anything to compare them to? Have you owned any others?

I have not owned any other studio monitors. All my info on anything other than the JBL 305s is from hours of online research, so take that for what it is worth!

There are several threads about monitors.. For me the most important thing is the relation between monitor room size treatment and volume level.. For example if you re in a very small room and play at bedroom levels something bigger of 5" monitor will be useless..

Thanks guys. Food for thought. I have a matrix FRFR wedge that I use sometimes but I have found it to be a bit boxy sounding. I've been sum-what successful with an EQ at the end of the fx chain to dial it out but I still love the sound of my headphones over it. I have some Berringer Truth monitors and I'm not impressed with them either. The Rokit 5s are definitely not great either. I wonder if the ADAM A7Xs are worth the price tag compared to the Yamahas. More investigation needed.

There are several threads about monitors.. For me the most important thing is the relation between monitor room size treatment and volume level.. For example if you re in a very small room and play at bedroom levels something bigger of 5" monitor will be useless..

Yup. There most hundreds of detailed monitor threads on this forum. It is probably one
of the most discussed topics. @Gl4th has done a few extensive threads and breakdowns
of late, too.

Thanks guys. Food for thought. I have a matrix FRFR wedge that I use sometimes but I have found it to be a bit boxy sounding. I've been sum-what successful with an EQ at the end of the fx chain to dial it out but I still love the sound of my headphones over it. I have some Berringer Truth monitors and I'm not impressed with them either. The Rokit 5s are definitely not great either. I wonder if the ADAM A7Xs are worth the price tag compared to the Yamahas. More investigation needed.
The Adam’s are worth the difference to me. I think there is a fairly recent thread on this in the AFX3 section. The Adams won over. Adam T7V are also worth looking as a cheaper alternate.

I also have a set JBL LSR305 which sound decent with my AX8. if I had to I’d take those of the Yamahas which I find harsh.

Budget? Because if you are just asking what monitors I like... ATC, Barefoot in the right room, Focal trio, some Genelecs and the Neumann Kh310a? I think it is, is pretty good. If you are looking at the other end then the Kali's are pretty good, Presonus both eris and Sceptre, Adam A7x are popular.

Is budget a concern? My off the cuff thoughts - Adams are highly regarded and pricey. The yamaha hs7's/8's are sometimes described as more 'musical' and for the price point a very good bargain. I'd say if you can, go to a music shop and audition if you can. If i were in the market right now for monitors I'd say it come down to these two. If you're coming from Rokits , i'd say you'd be more than happy with the Yamaha's. I used to have Rokit 8's and I'd never go back to Rokits.

Presonus Eris on a budget, Presonus Scepter S8s if you have some cash to spend, Genelec 8050Bs if you have lots of cash hanging about.

After doing a lot of reading I bought the A7X…and did not like them in my un-treated room with a far-from-optimal setup.

So I bought the HS7 which work much better for me in my room.

At the time we were in lockdown so I could not go to a store for auditioning. Maybe I will do that later on, I won’t loose too much on the HS7 if would do so

There was a thread a while back that these were discontinued...
Exactly, they have been discontinued. A new A series will be released soon, but honestly, after my experience with the A7X I won't get another pair from Adam. They are a bit hyped, not the product I expected.

Last edited:
Here I made a comparison chart based on MY experience (and MY premises): https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/focal-shape-65-vs-adam-a7x.182695/post-2248066

What I've learned in my journey to find studio monitors is:
  1. You really need to try them in your room. What may work for someone may not work for you. Don't be swayed by the assumption: it costs more = it's the best. For many people the HS is perfect, and I believe that, for many people the A7X is the holy gral, and that's fine. For others, neither is fine.
  2. The simple (and sometimes rude) answer you can often get "treat your room" is really too simplistic. Some rooms have such configurations that even treated cannot render optimally and even if it were possible a 100% flat, perfect room does NOT exist. So look for monitors that work best for you, in your room, and that meet your taste.
  3. Don't consider the controls on the back an unnecessary gimmick. Sure, you can make up for it with room correction software, but that doesn't necessarily meet your needs. For example, Sonarworks doesn't work for me. In fact, it doesn't allow you to treat the sound passing through the Axe-Fx IN unless you open the DAW and set it as a monitoring plugin. I don't always use the Axe-Fx to record, I also use it (often) just to play, I have no way to intervene on my sound. Sure you can export to IR and add a block, but if upstream you buy monitors with effective room controls, well...in my opinion it's better.
I've bolded and underlined "MY" several times, because I don't want to open up more debates and fights between different schools of thought. I don't want to convince anyone, I don't want to be persuaded by anyone. I just report my experience.

Back
Top Bottom