What MFC lay-outs and settings are people using to control Scenes?

... so would a four switch external would access all eight Scenes?

The MFC supports 2 physical stereo switch connections which translate into 4 switches. 4 (latching) switches give access to 8 scenes, because each switch controls 2 scenes (CC off = scene A, CC on = scene B). To switch to a specific scene requires one or two stomps.

I guess companies such as Bright Onion and Mission Eng. can build such switches. No use ordering one with switch LEDs because "Switch Links" (grouping) doesn't work with external switches.

The MFC supports 2 physical stereo switch connections which translate into 4 switches. 4 (latching) switches give access to 8 scenes, because each switch controls 2 scenes (CC off = scene A, CC on = scene B). To switch to a specific scene requires one or two stomps.

I guess companies such as Bright Onion and Mission Eng. can build such switches. No use ordering one with switch LEDs because "Switch Links" (grouping) doesn't work with external switches.

SO this is the optimum option - ie the only way to operate all eight scenes without taking up MFC IAs.

That's what I'm thinking too. I don't know if I'll ever need all 8 scenes in a given preset, but good to know there's a way to do it.

Tracking this thread ;) thanks for all the insight. Not sure how I would really make use of scenes at this point. I use the first 15 as presets now, and pop into reveal mode if I need to turn on a rotary or whatever. That is rare, like twice a show. Besides that-I don't even use IA's. The bottom 5 presets are amps, clean-wet, clean dry, JTM, heavy, heavier. The next row starts with 2 lead patches, but I could dump either one if I need more room. The other 8 are synths(floyd stuff, rebel yell etc), violin, flute, B3, airraid(war pigs) and other wierdness. Only things that get used in a show get into the weird slots. I have a global boost, which is where I THINK I would use the scenes. Since it can be too much in one preset and not enough in another, I could use my boost button to bounce me up to 2 and the button next to it to get me back to 1? My weak brain could handle that in a show. I'd only be using the tuner button, but I tune by the front panel anyway, the MFC doesnt work well for me for that. The surviving a preset swap would be a concern though. I know I'd forget that.

I have a global boost, which is where I THINK I would use the scenes. Since it can be too much in one preset and not enough in another, I could use my boost button to bounce me up to 2 and the button next to it to get me back to 1? My weak brain could handle that in a show. .

So your scenes could boost each patch in various ways to suit that patch... as the scenes could be different for each patch?

Replying to original topic:
I was thinking whats the best way to incorporate scenes into MFC without losing access to iAs, so i decided i will leave my MFC as it is and have external Boss dual footswitch connected to the back of MFC, for 2 additional scenes

As mentioned here somewhere before, I'm currently in the last tests of an extension module for the MFC I build which I plan to offer to anyone, one of the first things I thought when I first see the "scene" option is that the extension which house 4 switches can perfectly take care of that.

BTW, what do you think would be best, should I use momentary or latching ?
Thanks.

So your scenes could boost each patch in various ways to suit that patch... as the scenes could be different for each patch?

Yeah, which is probably not using the feature to the max, but for a gig-I dont want to tap dance.

So how I have it now, I took out my boost switch and changed it to a scene 1/2 button instead. Then on each preset, I switched to the scene 2-turned off all that stuff! and set it to how I wanted in. In most, I used a Y amp(just a copy and then tweaked for more volume, a little more comp, drive) and then turned on a reverb or delay block. In one, I just turned on a drive block and a reverb.

I also ordered a stroborack-because I need more lights and everyone knows that more lights make you play better-so my tuner IA will become my rotary, which is the only effect I need to turn on for a gig(this week), outside of a wah-which is already set to a pretty red pedal(M). After that, I won't need to reveal or mess with anything out of the norm when playing. My eyes arent what they used to be. So-15 presets, rotary and scene will be the next stopping point.

IMAG0361.jpg

I stopped using the Alternate Preset method. The MFC doesn't always respond quickly enough, cumbersome to program, and in the heat of the momentthe system can be a bit confusing.

Now using the 1st 4 preset switches with PC mapping to access 4 scenes in my main preset.

And a single IA switch on my MFC selects scene 2 in other presets.
No need for a dedicated scene 1 switch, because the preset switch already selects scene 1.

Last edited:
Now using the 1st 4 preset switches with PC mapping to access 4 scenes in my main preset.

In my opinion (and for me personal) using PC Mapping is the most efficient and comfortable solution to get the most with minor work out of the scenes ... so, i want to that also that way! The only solution to switch to preset XY with scene higher than 1 by just pressing ONE button!

I really (and i know, i penetrate on this issue ...) wish, that i could use Axe-Fx PC mapping to control scenes AND selecting Preset Numbers higher than BANK A (128) AT ONCE! I really hope Cliff find a way to max out PC MAP FROM from 128 to 383!!!

Does anyone know if this will exist? (Scene UP / Scene Down)

Wait a minute: maybe I missed something, but the whole up/down toggle idea; isn't it cumbersome when you want to use for example scene 1 then quickly go to scene 5, then to scene 2? In other words, tap-dancing?

I stopped using the Alternate Preset method. The MFC doesn't always respond quickly enough, cumbersome to program, and in the heat of the momentthe system can be a bit confusing.

And a single IA switch on my MFC selects scene 2 in other presets.
No need for a dedicated scene 1 switch, because the preset switch already selects scene 1.

Does this method still incorporate Axe-FX2 mode? Or is it only MFC mode?

Wait a minute: maybe I missed something, but the whole up/down toggle idea; isn't it cumbersome when you want to use for example scene 1 then quickly go to scene 5, then to scene 2? In other words, tap-dancing?
Yes, it can be cumbersome. But for some pedals, it's the only way to even get to more than two secenes. Cumbersome is way better than impossible. :)

Isnt that the same as having 5 presets per bank and the rest ia's. Thats how i use it now so each bank i have 5 presets per song 1-5 clean,ryh,solo1,solo2,???.the rest i could punch in any ia an then step on 1-5 to go back to your main sound How is using the scenes different? Just trying to learn here LOL

Could someone explain how to do this?

Is this something that i could use in set mode? so that the UP/DOWN switches cycle thru songs in a set and then buttons 1-5 change between scenes? My hope would be to then remove the scene switches by pressing the reveal button during a song?

ive read the manual twice since yesterday but an still getting lost in how to implement MFC presets.

and to clarify something for me:

when you hit EDIT> SONG/SET> the first thing you see is "Song001 P01=P000"

Is the "P01" referring to MFC 'presets'? Are these presets in song/set mode the ones that are editable via EDIT> PRESET?

So i think i got my terminology correct, the manual calls that parameter the "Song Preset (aka "slot number")"

Last edited:
Isnt that the same as having 5 presets per bank and the rest ia's. Thats how i use it now so each bank i have 5 presets per song 1-5 clean,ryh,solo1,solo2,???.the rest i could punch in any ia an then step on 1-5 to go back to your main sound How is using the scenes different? Just trying to learn here LOL

Yes, it's similar. But using scenes instead of presets gets you gapless switching, easier preset programming, better deay/reverb spillover.

Back
Top Bottom