What doesn't the Axe Fx do effect wise

Mutronics Mutator, i know with two or more Filterblocks a Drive and Env Follower/LFOs you can come close but i like to have al this in a single Block so an enhanced Filter Block would be nice!

Keytone Exchanger Pro.
Boss Multi Overtone.
Boss Hi-Band Flanger.

So what? FA gear plays really nice with these pedals on my floorboard....

So as someone who's not necessarily as knowledgeable about the wonderful world of guitar pedals and effects, I started thinking: Are there any effect pedals (or types of effects, which is probably the better way of putting it) that the Axe can't/doesn't do?

Besides the fart pedal. I know that the Axe doesn't have a "Classic Gas" effect block yet.
Yours is a valid question, as there are always going to be things not in the Axe Axe Fx III line. This is true of amp and cab blocks, as well the number of scenes/channels/controllers available that might be a limitation for some but are a limitless ocean to most. The better question for every player is “What do I need/use that it doesn’t do?” Some here have listed theirs, and each is true for the player who needs it. I encourage you to delve into the plethora of effects it can do, as it’s astounding, and not get too caught up in the one it won’t. Should you eventually need something that can’t be done, grab a “real” version of what you’re missing and stick it in line with your Axe Fx. You really can “have it all your way” with that approach.

I’m not taking your question as negative, by the way. It’s a good thing to know if you’re a heavy esoteric effects user considering an Axe Axe Fx III purchase. I’m just encouraging you towards making the music you make and not worrying over shortcomings you may never notice.

The Ibanez DM2000 is a digital delay with a 1023ms delay time and hold capabilities (i.e., basic looper). The cool thing is, it has a modulation function that slows then speeds up the delay and shifts the pitch of the original signal. At the slowest time, it is about an octave below and at the fastest time it is about an octave above. I have yet been able to re-create this on the AXEFX.

The Ibanez DM2000 is a digital delay with a 1023ms delay time and hold capabilities (i.e., basic looper). The cool thing is, it has a modulation function that slows then speeds up the delay and shifts the pitch of the original signal. At the slowest time, it is about an octave below and at the fastest time it is about an octave above. I have yet been able to re-create this on the AXEFX.

Maybe post a wish for a modifier on the time parameter?

Then you could lfo it or use a cc exp pedal

Yours is a valid question, as there are always going to be things not in the Axe Axe Fx III line. This is true of amp and cab blocks, as well the number of scenes/channels/controllers available that might be a limitation for some but are a limitless ocean to most. The better question for every player is “What do I need/use that it doesn’t do?” Some here have listed theirs, and each is true for the player who needs it. I encourage you to delve into the plethora of effects it can do, as it’s astounding, and not get too caught up in the one it won’t. Should you eventually need something that can’t be done, grab a “real” version of what you’re missing and stick it in line with your Axe Fx. You really can “have it all your way” with that approach.

I’m not taking your question as negative, by the way. It’s a good thing to know if you’re a heavy esoteric effects user considering an Axe Axe Fx III purchase. I’m just encouraging you towards making the music you make and not worrying over shortcomings you may never notice.
Yeah, my question came about as I was watching a few "how to get that sound" type videos, and seeing if the Axe had an equivalent, and was seeing that the Axe seemed to have at least some kind of an answer for everything (although not always an exact 1:1 match), which just got me thinking what else is out there in the pedal world beyond my standard knowledge of distortion/wah/chorus/reverb etc.

Yeah, my question came about as I was watching a few "how to get that sound" type videos, and seeing if the Axe had an equivalent, and was seeing that the Axe seemed to have at least some kind of an answer for everything (although not always an exact 1:1 match), which just got me thinking what else is out there in the pedal world beyond my standard knowledge of distortion/wah/chorus/reverb etc.
I see what you mean, and it is a valid question. Like you, I rarely use effects requiring a deep dive, having grown up on simple “stomp boxes” with limited controls. It is amazing to see what some of the guys come up with here.

The only external effect I sometimes use is a Dawner Prince Boonar. It sounds like my Binson Echorec, more than anything I have created in Axe Edit, or that I’ve been able to find through the forum (so far).

As has already been said: mimiq and freqout are probably the most obvious.

On a more esoteric front, the only pedal I keep in my chain is a Dwarfcraft Great Destroyer, and there may be some way to combine assorted things to approximate that, but, if there is, it's beyond me.

Chaos type pedals like the Great Destroyer and some of the ZVex fuzz stuff are tough to pull off in the Axe FX. Sometimes there's no substitute for the weird chaos and noise of a self oscillating analog circuit.

Assign an LFO to the motor speed parameter in the mono tape mode.

Keytone Exchanger Pro.
Boss Multi Overtone.
Boss Hi-Band Flanger.

So what? FA gear plays really nice with these pedals on my floorboard....
The hf2 is pretty much a bf2 with a shorter delay time so you can play with the flanger max and min time. Alternatively the resonator block can cop a cool high band sound using modifiers.

Assign an LFO to the motor speed parameter in the mono tape mode.

The hf2 is pretty much a bf2 with a shorter delay time so you can play with the flanger max and min time. Alternatively the resonator block can cop a cool high band sound using modifiers.

Hi Leon,

Tried both and came close. But when I A/B the results against the real thing, it’s just not the same. But to be honest, my HF2 has seen battle and maybe it doesn’t sound the same as when it rolled out of the factory anymore. It’s full of vibe and mojo for sure and I love it, but that might be a factor. And maybe I’m just not the most proficient knobturner when it comes to the AF. That could be another factor for sure. 😀
And the resonates thing came closest in my opinion, fwiw……

Back
Top Bottom