What Cab is loaded when importing presets?

Cpt737

Hi everyone. Quick question.
On AxeFX III when you import a preset (axe change etc), what cab does axe fx put into cab block if you do not have the original IR in your library?
Does it load a random factory IR from the library?
If you have the same IR with the imported preset, does it load the same one?
Im just kind of confused about the information delivered with .syx files.
Thanks in advance for the answers. Have a great day.

Last edited:
It doesn't know anything about what IRs are what, or what you meant. It loads the ones in the positions the imported preset says to use, even if they're empty, or contain IRs that are nothing like what was intended by the preset author.

Folks hope that will change some day.

For instance, if you load a preset from a friend that has the cab set to User1 #18, a purchased IR they loaded in their AF3, in your AF3 the same User1 #18 location could be blank, could have a different IR than what you friend owns, or you might have also purchased the same IR, and so happened to put it in the same user location.
In the scenario where your User1 #18 is blank (empty), you would get no sound past the cab block. If you have a different IR saved into User1 #18, you would most likely hear a different sounding output, when you play through the same preset.
If the IR in the fictional preset is one from a factory locations, the same IR will load on your AF3 and you will hear something similar to what your friend heard. Of course guitar, pickups, strings, fingers, attack, ..... will all influence the final sound. Hope this is helps. Cheers, Lee

For instance, if you load a preset from a friend that has the cab set to User1 #18, a purchased IR they loaded in their AF3, in your AF3 the same User1 #18 location could be blank, could have a different IR than what you friend owns, or you might have also purchased the same IR, and so happened to put it in the same user location.
In the scenario where your User1 #18 is blank (empty), you would get no sound past the cab block. If you have a different IR saved into User1 #18, you would most likely hear a different sounding output, when you play through the same preset.
If the IR in the fictional preset is one from a factory locations, the same IR will load on your AF3 and you will hear something similar to what your friend heard. Of course guitar, pickups, strings, fingers, attack, ..... will all influence the final sound. Hope this is helps. Cheers, Lee
Ahh that clarified it thank you for great explanation. I dunno that makes preset sharing somewhat pointless where you can end up sounding totally different than intended by the author. Definetly seems like something that can be improved where the IR info included in the preset file.

Ahh that clarified it thank you for great explanation. I dunno that makes preset sharing somewhat pointless where you can end up sounding totally different than intended by the author. Definetly seems like something that can be improved where the IR info included in the preset file.
Sharing presets with non-factory IRs isn't very practical...

That can cause some limitations, but there are lots of really good built-in IRs included in the AF3, and quite a few of those were for-fee IRs, from a number of different makers. Most of those for-fee IRs were originally only available by purchase, on the earlier (pre AF3) AxeFX units. So, if you create presets around the included core IRs, which have a great sonic range, you can easily avoid the mentioned limitations.

People do still decide to purchase additional IRs (myself included at times), but it is more to enhance an already great (and extensive) catalog of IRs, rather than to discount their value.

I hope you’ll find the time to explore the included IRs. One tip that I found useful, since there are so many, is to click the push-pin icon towards the top of the screen, while in the IR Picker screen. This lets you use the arrow keys on the keyboard to quickly move around, continually hearing the current preset and the sonic fingerprint of the IRs on which your cursor lands.

There is almost always room for improvement in systems, but this can help in the interim! Cheers, Lee

Dave,
Thanks for sharing that! I hope that comes to fruition! I somehow missed the linked thread last year. It was shortly after I returned from Japan, so I’ll use that as my excuse. Lol

I wish it could also analyze the IRs and have a sort by tonality. Many times an IR of a given speaker / mic combo will sound so diff than another of the same two (no surprise, with even minor adjustments of the collection mic creating significant tonal changes), that I’d find it interesting to see if any sonic analysis could generate usable data to more rapidly choose an IR.

Cheers,
Lee

I had a little bit of trouble understanding what they have posted with all the tehnical programming language but it is awesome that its being discussed. Pretty sure there are so many factors that have to be considered and tested to make it user friendly. Thanks for sharing I missed this one as welI. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom