What are you listening to right now?

Not listening to this for the vocals. Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner are great. Wikipedia notes that Gibson gave these two an award for playing the solos on Aerosmith's Train Kept A Rollin' on their second album - Get Your Wings. Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner also toured with Alice Cooper. I saw them at the Seattle Coliseum (now Climate Pledge Arena) in the 1970s (Welcome To My Nightmare tour?). A really great band.

Lou Reed was definitely a trip.
I know . . . years ago I saw him at a festival in Seattle called Bumbershoot. He was the headliner, and the "show" consisted of him sitting in a chair reading Edgar Allen Poe's The Raven. What a yawn. But it was probably better than listening to him sing. He wrote some great songs, and was very influential in The Velvet Underground, but can't say I like listening to him sing.

Dude!

This band features a local Connecticut guitarist I've jammed with before, Johnny Larson. Larson and I played at the Suffield Grange Hall back in '80 in a one-night-only band called "The Press." I was rhythm/lead guitar, wore cheesy dark business suit, white shirt and black tie. Larson was lead guitar, wore a Grannie's wig, summer duster, fuzzy slippers and extinguished cigarette hanging out of his mouth. We had practiced for 2 days and nights straight before the Grange performance. We were allowed to play until the beer kegs ran out (took all of 50 minutes for that). After one hour of high school 1st year anniversary reunion performance, they told us to close up shop and head home.

Larson joined Ugly Kid Joe after and toured the local tri-state area.

Last edited:
Actually, my oscillating fan, my air conditioner, and my tinnitus, with my back feeling the cool breeze. Preferring a quiet evening at home before bed compared to the usual racket of evening TV...

I saw Gentle Giant in the 1970s as an opening act for Jethro Tull. I had not listened to their music prior to that show. Incredible musicianship and really interesting music.

Saw an interview with them on the Make Weird Music channel on YouTube and they were saying how Tull was fun to tour with. They they noted that Yes ignored them and was all high and mighty acting.

Saw an interview with them on the Make Weird Music channel on YouTube and they were saying how Tull was fun to tour with. They they noted that Yes ignored them and was all high and mighty acting.
I saw yes 3 times in the mid to late 70s. First was three headed dragon stage setup (Yessongs?). Then Going for the One and Tormato. Some much of my memory is distorted by time and use of mind altering substances. Your comment makes me wonder if I saw them with Yes or Tull. I think it was Tull, but I guess I'm not 100%.

I love Yes' music, but they seem like a sorry lot as human beings. At least some of them. My wife and I saw Rick Wakeman recently do a solo show. It was in Seattle at the Neptune theater in the last year. $65 a ticket to listen to Rick Wakeman ramble on about living in his village, with a smattering of acoustic piano here and there. He seemed like a nice, down to earth bloke. My wife loved it. I was disappointed because it wasn't what I remembered after seeing Rick Wakeman with Yes. I wanted the keyboard solo on YesSongs. There wasn't even a synth on stage. He did play the piano part of Cat Steven's Morning Has Broken. But it was mostly talking about conversations and events in the village where he now lives.

I also went to the recent Alan White memorial concert at the Seattle Paramount. I also have a drummer friend who met Alan White personally. He said Alan was a nice guy and approachable. All of the musicians at the memorial concert also spoke warmly of Alan White. So two of the members of Yes seem to be decent humans. It makes me wonder where all the friction came/comes from. Last time I checked there were two different touring versions of Yes, both containing original members. Strange stuff . . .

Trevor Rabin was at the Alan White memorial concert. It was sad to see him because it looked like he had suffered a stroke. He had a compression brace on his fretting hand and wrist. He was also walking very unsteadily. The performance was augmented with tapes because Trevor couldn't play the faster runs (for example the lead in Owner of a Lonely Heart). I'm 62 years old and it was a reminder of my own human frailty. I had surgery on my fretting hand in 2018. I still can't practice remotely as much as I once did. No intention of being a downer about this, but getting old is a reality that hits home when you get there.

Back
Top Bottom