Well, My Axe-II just internally combusted!

CyberFerret

Power User
About 15 minutes ago...

I was having a Skype guitar lesson with my teacher. Just playing away and suddenly I realised I wasn't getting any sound. I looked across at the Axe-II and noticed that the LCD was just a plain yellow glow.

As I was reaching over to turn it off, the LCD started to rapidly flicker, then there was a *loud* POP sound and the whole unit just shut down, accompanied by a strong electrical burning smell. :shock

Now it won't power up at all, understandably.

Sucks big time, as I bought it second hand from a guy on the Gear Page, so there is no warranty on this unit, and I live on the other side of the world, so the roundtrip freight back to Fractal is going to cost about 50% the cost of a new unit.

I am going to remove it from the rack case its in, and open it up to take a look inside. I am really really hoping that it is a blown fuse, but the acrid smell that still permeates the room as I type this makes me think otherwise!!! :(

I had the exact same thing happen. Fried power supply. G66 sent me a new one the same day, but you will probably have to pay for one if you don't have warranty.

I had the exact same thing happen. Fried power supply. G66 sent me a new one the same day, but you will probably have to pay for one if you don't have warranty.

Yeah, I just opened up the unit, and the fuse LOOKS ok, but there is definitely a 'burnt' smell around the power supply. Can't see any obvious blown caps or anything.

The power supply looks fairly straightforward to swap out, so I am thinking I have to buy a new one. Any idea what the replacement units costs? Do I have to order direct from Fractal or from their Australian distributors?

Yeah, I just opened up the unit, and the fuse LOOKS ok, but there is definitely a 'burnt' smell around the power supply. Can't see any obvious blown caps or anything.

The power supply looks fairly straightforward to swap out, so I am thinking I have to buy a new one. Any idea what the replacement units costs? Do I have to order direct from Fractal or from their Australian distributors?

Yeah, couldn't find any visible signs on the defective power supply either. It's very easy to replace. Don't know about the cost, though!

LPT42 Emerson / Astec Power | Mouser

Thanks guys - I contacted Independent Music this morning and left a message, but haven't heard back from them yet (It's Saturday morning here).

shasha - Thanks for that link, I just went ahead and ordered the PSU anyhow. It costs just under $100 shipped to me here. Should I order two? :D

Lucky I'm not in a super hurry, but I do have a gig next Sunday so I hope it arrives in time.

Side Note: I have an Ultra sitting here too - is the power supply in that the same? Wondering if I can swap the two around and then put the new supply back in the Ultra?

I have a spare power supply, Fractal sent me a new one under warranty but when I went to swap it out I found a loose extra screw underneath the board that was probably just shorting it out (I never smelled anything it just stopped powering up). I figure the old one still probably works but I never tried it, just popped in the new one (very easy). I offered to send it back but they said don't worry about it. Not sure the shipping there (I'm in Nashville) but if you want to try it out or have a spare let me know and I'll send it out to you. I could test it out first, would only take a couple minutes.

Mike

Last edited:
What an awesome guy!

I have a spare power supply, Fractal sent me a new one under warranty but when I went to swap it out I found a loose extra screw underneath the board that was probably just shorting it out (I never smelled anything it just stopped powering up). I figure the old one still probably works but I never tried it, just popped in the new one (very easy). I offered to send it back but they said don't worry about it. Not sure the shipping there (I'm in Nashville) but if you want to try it out or have a spare let me know and I'll send it out to you. I could test it out first, would only take a couple minutes.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for your very generous offer !! I have already ordered a PSU from Mouser as per shasha's link above, but if I get another problem, I'll drop you a PM.

swass is right about the brotherhood. Good to see Axe-FX users helping each other out... :)

Cheers,
Devan

this confirms my thoughts about the power supply on the II. after reading about all these failure problems, I´m starting to think the power supply is under dimensioned. I see the display dims when I engage the tuner or I´m connected to usb. not a good sign at all. what a luck my unit is still on warranty! hope you solve it!!

Mike,

Thanks for your very generous offer !! I have already ordered a PSU from Mouser as per shasha's link above, but if I get another problem, I'll drop you a PM.

swass is right about the brotherhood. Good to see Axe-FX users helping each other out... :)

Cheers,
Devan

Anytime Devan. Hope you get it sorted out quickly!!

Mike

I'm on the fience for buying the AXDE-FX II, I hope Fractal sorts out the power supply issue. I've read several other messages from users that had the same issue.
It certainly sounds like PS is either of questionable reliability, or the PS is underated for the current demand from the AXE-FX II.

Does the replacement PS offer better margins for current demand over the original?
This is a large worry, especially for professional users.

I'm not knocking the AXE-FX II. It's quite the acheivement, to say the least!

Mike

:shock

I'm tearing up! Bravo Radix! Very cool gesture.

Back
Top Bottom