Welcome to the New Axe-Fx Forum

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
As the long-time members know, our beloved forum at setbb is sleeping with the fishes. This is unfortunate as there was a wealth of information there and on the order of 30,000 posts IIRC. I don't know if we'll be able to recover any of that old forum.

I think we should make this our new home and build it up even if setbb comes back online. Fractal Audio is hosting this on our server and I'll be doing monthly backups of the database.

CC

FractalAudio said:
As the long-time members know, our beloved forum at setbb is sleeping with the fishes. This is unfortunate as there was a wealth of information there and on the order of 30,000 posts IIRC. I don't know if we'll be able to recover any of that old forum.

I think we should make this our new home and build it up even if setbb comes back online. Fractal Audio is hosting this on our server and I'll be doing monthly backups of the database.

CC

Thanks again for doing this.

FWIW, there's a nifty script called automysqlbackup that makes SQL database backup very easy to do.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=101066

I use it for a site that I run and has been both trouble free and a lifesaver as well...

Thanks for getting this site up so fast. Also, thanks to Guitardojo for keeping our AxeFx fix going during the interruption. :cool:

Great job all around guys!!!

I do have one request (that is, if it's universally accepted)...

On most forums (including the old AxeFX forum), if you followed an external link then it would open it in a new window/tab. Here it leaves the forum to open the link in the same window. I thought maybe that was a user setting, but I don't see an option for that so I assume it's a BB setting.

mwc2112 said:
On most forums (including the old AxeFX forum), if you followed an external link then it would open it in a new window/tab. Here it leaves the forum to open the link in the same window. I thought maybe that was a user setting, but I don't see an option for that so I assume it's a BB setting.
Great minds think alike! :cool:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4&p=227#p227

It's very nice to find everybody home again. :D

I hope that setbb will be repaired soon. It would be great if we can recover the old database from the bottom of the ocean.

Cheers!

Manuel

Piing said:
I hope that setbb will be repaired soon. It would be great if we can recover the old database from the bottom of the ocean.
That would be awesome but somehow I have a sinking feeling that they are completely toast.

Even if they do come back up, no one in their right mind would continue to do business with them after being down for so long. After four plus days of being down, in this day & age of the fast-paced superhighway want it yesterday crowd, you are pretty much toast. People just lose interest too quickly these days and have no patience for incompetent web hosting/tech support. In setbb's case, I would say they had no real tech support...and quite possibly, a sufficient lack of funding to keep it going.

Cheers,
Dan

No, not another forum please :D

I think that, in the case that we can recover the old forum databse, we should study the possibility to restore it here. If that's not possible, we can not leave that site "frozen", because everything would be deleted if there's no activity in the forum for 30 days. Anyway, that's only conjecture. Let's wait to see if they're able to re-open the setbb.com site (I believe that nobody will ever trust that free forum host again)

Piing said:
I think that, in the case that we can recover the old forum databse, we should study the possibility to restore it here. If that's not possible, we can not leave that site "frozen", because everything would be deleted if there's no activity in the forum for 30 days. Anyway, that's only conjecture. Let's wait to see if they're able to re-open the setbb.com site (I believe that nobody will ever trust that free forum host again)
If they do come back up and you are somehow able to get a copy of the DB, I am pretty sure that someone has found a way to convert setbb's format into a suitable phpBB format.

How is the new PC working now? Did you sort out the heat problems?

Cheers,
Dan

Kramer_5150 said:
Piing said:
If they do come back up and you are somehow able to get a copy of the DB, I am pretty sure that someone has found a way to convert setbb's format into a suitable phpBB format.
This is a question for quonsar now.

Back
Top Bottom