Waitlist Email

With all respect due for FA. It would be great just to get an idea of current wait times by fractal administration. 6 , 8 , 10 , 12 months from when waitlist e mail sent ? Some approximate estimate. If it’s based on other companies actions in the market and FA can’t predict that, that is understandable. I would just like to know some kind of new update.
If you read backwards, Fractal has given updates when they know something.

I actually have nothing really against the Quad, I just don’t care for how the company operates, and yes, no way no how am I spending $1800+ on a modeler without an IEC. That’s super lame. I’m sitting right with my FM3/Stomp combo for now, but I’m on the FM9 list too.
Pros and cons. You can look at the FM3 rigs thread with people having inconvenient setups trying to route IEC cables through their pedalboards for convenience whereas the QC could be powered with a good pedal power supply like any pedal. Or even with a power bank.

I prefer an IEC connector and built in powersupply too but the QC is probably my favorite modeler form factor. It packs more I/O, mic preamps and far more onboard knobs/switches in a box smaller than the FM3 and if that means an external power supply, to me that's a perfectly ok tradeoff.

It's a really cool device only hampered by the work-in-progress software. NeuralDSP seems to be having similar struggles to Fractal for getting components. Even Line6 guys have said they have had to scramble to find the suppliers for the Helix components.

My advice for people who need a modeler right now would be to pick up a Helix LT or Floor. While not as powerful as a FM9 or QC, it is a really easy to use do-it-all unit that would perform the same kind of things you'd want out of a FM9. Then when your spot on the waitlist comes up, sell the Helix and get the FM9. Or put them head to head and pick the one that works for you.

With all respect due for FA. It would be great just to get an idea of current wait times by fractal administration. 6 , 8 , 10 , 12 months from when waitlist e mail sent ? Some approximate estimate. If it’s based on other companies actions in the market and FA can’t predict that, that is understandable. I would just like to know some kind of new update.
I don't think they know when they will have the parts they need. The last rumblings I heard months ago was they were targeting restocking in the summer, but I would consider that the best case scenario at the moment.

The waitlist is paused at August 28, approximately 4am.
I am August 28th at 3:07 am. I still am waiting. I did some checking around when they ran out and I was within an hour of the last ones out I am pretty sure. So axe3 and fm3 for now, but It's nice seeing the updates hit the fm9!!
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/1lvoavk6XtvA6mVdkw" width="480" height="269" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="">via GIPHY</a></p>

I got my confirmation e-mail February 12th, 2022. It would be wishful thinking to hope I get mine as a Christmas present I would assume. First time attempt to purchase a Fractal Audio Systems product has NOT gotten off on a good stride. I hope they are able to learn from this, look into possible, foreseeable, production disruptions in the future and announce releases accordingly.

I got my confirmation e-mail February 12th, 2022. It would be wishful thinking to hope I get mine as a Christmas present I would assume. First time attempt to purchase a Fractal Audio Systems product has NOT gotten off on a good stride. I hope they are able to learn from this, look into possible, foreseeable, production disruptions in the future and announce releases accordingly.
“Learn from this”? “Foreseeable”?

Care to educate the rest of us how those could be accomplished?

Sure, glad to educate … contact ALL suppliers and pre order as many parts as you can afford months before the release. I understand some companies can’t afford to buy a lot of parts and assemble a lot of products beforehand but that being said what they can control is the release date then. Hold off until you have a massive amount ready to ship.

There are also situations that they couldn’t predict that happen after the release date which of course I cannot blame them for but you can always learn from what has happened with the FM9 production issues going forward. Hope this helps clarify.

Sure, glad to educate … contact ALL suppliers and pre order as many parts as you can afford months before the release. I understand some companies can’t afford to buy a lot of parts and assemble a lot of products beforehand but that being said what they can control is the release date then. Hold off until you have a massive amount ready to ship.

There are also situations that they couldn’t predict that happen after the release date which of course I cannot blame them for but you can always learn from what has happened with the FM9 production issues going forward. Hope this helps clarify.
That's a lot of wisdom you packed in there. I'm sure that'll help.

contact ALL suppliers and pre order as many parts as you can afford months before the release.
Inventory is a huge cost for any manufacturer. Asking them to stockpile enough inventory to see them through a first-ever, record-setting, worldwide shortage means asking them to multiply that huge cost by many times.

And what about the people who make, say, the circuit boards in your product? Now you have to ask all your suppliers to incur that huge inventory cost on your behalf. They won't.

I understand some companies can’t afford to buy a lot of parts and assemble a lot of products beforehand but that being said what they can control is the release date then. Hold off until you have a massive amount ready to ship.
You're asking them to not sell anything until they have a massive stockpile to sell. "No income for you until you've made enough of them to weather a worldwide crisis." Or, to put it another way, "If I have to wait, everybody has to wait." Not gonna happen. No company (or individual worker) is going to walk away from a paycheck like that.

"Hey, Fractalites! We have this great new product to sell. But we don't have enough of them for everybody, so no one gets one."

There are also situations that they couldn’t predict that happen after the release date which of course I cannot blame them for but you can always learn from what has happened with the FM9 production issues going forward.
That's the situation we're in. Fractal found out they couldn't get parts after production had begun. When it starts to look like you might run out of inventory to sell, you sell what you can right now.

Last edited:

Here's straight from the horse's mouth some months ago, paraphrased, because I don't recall the exact wording...

"We (FAS) had ordered parts in anticipation of the chip shortage, but once our orders were locked in, the suppliers backed out on providing the parts, for whatever reason."

You can guess as much as you want regards this, but as you know, much larger companies required the chips for their products, and FAS kinda got the shaft. As unfair as this seems to FM9 buyers, the likely, and don't shoot the messenger here, reason for shafting FAS was the larger companies outbid FAS and the chip manufacturers were offered more money than was agreed upon with FAS.

Is that legal? Yup. Ethical? Nope. Although I don't know the details of the agreement, I do know that FAS had ordered chips for the FM9 but the suppliers backed out on supplying them. You can do the math.

IIRC, the quote was originally from a FAS news release on their website. It may or may not be there now. Yet, as memory serves, that is basically what was said.

Exactly. It was very rude of the pandemic and global supply issues to not give the whole world a few years notice that they were coming ;-)

Here's straight from the horse's mouth some months ago, paraphrased, because I don't recall the exact wording...

"We (FAS) had ordered parts in anticipation of the chip shortage, but once our orders were locked in, the suppliers backed out on providing the parts, for whatever reason."

Yup. Unless a single entity is handling everything from mining raw materials to manufacturing and assembly, you can do everything right and still be on the losing end of supply chain and labor shortages. I think any even moderately intelligent business has been trying to think creatively about how to adjust for all of this since it began. Even so, there are still elements beyond their control.

Again, you know FAS is not a big company, right? You know there’s a pandemic going on still, with massive shortages on everything, coupled with a war that’s causing elemental shortages required for chip production, right?

I know it’s fun to armchair quarterback what Fractal should have done differently this time, but the truth is they’re doing everything they can. They don’t love not selling you a $1600 modeler.

Yup. Unless a single entity is handling everything from mining raw materials to manufacturing and assembly, you can do everything right and still be on the losing end of supply chain and labor shortages. I think any even moderately intelligent business has been trying to think creatively about how to adjust for all of this since it began. Even so, there are still elements beyond their control.
Elements like who can command the highest contract bid and state that their product is a consumer necessity, is likely what swayed the chip manufacturers. IMHO, it was about money, and who could outbid the other company.

You know, business contracts can be nullified within a certain timeframe if other business entities horn in on the deal and outbid the original contract price. Vehicles, computers, electronics, etc. If enough buzz is created, it can happen.

I really don't think that's any way to be successful. Though I suppose if you give a business your money, theoretically, the trade-off is that you receive something in return. And be thankful for it. How can anyone be thankful for something we have not received yet?

Fortunately, FAS is one business that does not take your money upfront and make you wait. The consensus would be very much a hue and cry if that were the case, which it is not. And a better business model than requiring even a downpayment on an item, which many businesses require for work order security deposit.

FAS, although still waiting on our supply chain, are fortunate people in this sense. Am I'm happy to say that you gotta appreciate FAS' business model, for not edging into "security deposit" territory.

Tell me you don't work in semiconductors without telling me you don't work in semiconductors...

Companies who have done everything right with respect to ordering and forecasting are still having trouble getting parts. Unless you're Apple or a similar mega-company with a massive stick to swing, you're second rate--or less.

Exactly. It was very rude of the pandemic and global supply issues to not give the whole world a few years notice that they were coming ;-)
The difference between, like it used to be, globalized & 'Just in Time' supply chain management and the current local & 'Just in Case' trend.

Back
Top Bottom