[Video] My Oh My - That Soldano (Solo 100)

Smittefar

Axe-Master
So @yek's amp series made me try the Soldano - And to me Soldano means Gary Moore more than anything else. It is good ... It is really good. So good in fact that I did something that you are not supposed to do - I started playing Parisienne Walkways. Here in Europe, it is a no-no on par with Sweet Home Alabama and Sweet Child o Mine.

The rhythm track is recorded with the clean channel (Solo 100 clean) and the leads are recorded with the lead channel (Solo 100 lead). In the first chorus, I have my volume knob at 4-5, I turn it up to 10 for the second chorus.

Preset attached: Scene 1 is lead, cleans are scene 2

Attachments

• Soldano.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 73
Thanks for sharing the pre set bro,..I will check it out over the weekend!!
I never bonded with the SLO in the box hopefully this will change!!

Sounds great! I toured for a few years with an SLO100 but admittedly I've never given this model a good go... I'll have to dig in and check it out :)

I think it's worth a loooooong go - I tried it when I first got the Ax8, but did not really gel with it. When Yek did his series on it, there were suggested settings, and that made the whole difference. I think it is extremely touch sensitive and dynamic. Even with the compressor, I have in front.

Thanks for sharing the pre set bro,..I will check it out over the weekend!!
I never bonded with the SLO in the box hopefully this will change!!
I agree. I heard and SLO live and it was beautiful. I am not able to get a sound like that out of the models. No big deal, as there are many other models that are great in the AX8.

Gary used Soldano much later on in his career. Parisienne Walkways was a Mesa combo. Nice sound in your video though.
SLO are great amps though. I have a real SLO 100 in my studio and it sounds fantastic.

That is probably true, the Soldano is here with him :)

My favourite version of Parisienne Walkways has to be the Montreux one, where he plays Marshalls

damn, bro, you should not be posting this, makes me miss those real amps again just when I travel to the FRFR site ;-)) Don´t those tubes sound really nice?

That is probably true, the Soldano is here with him :)

Yes, here is an excerpt from an interview with Chris Tsangarides who engineered and co produced.

"Phil Lynott's Fender Precision bass was DI'd and also recorded off a combination of Ampeg Portaflex and Marshall amps and cabinets. Gary Moore's 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard — which he had acquired from blues rocker Peter Green after Skid Row had opened a show for Fleetwood Mac and, with Green's help, secured a CBS record deal — went through a Mesa Boogie combo that was plugged into a 4x12 cabinet and miked with a Neumann U87."

First video sounded great with the SLO. Can't play the second one in the UK as there is some sort of problem with Eagle Rock and being played in the UK....

Man that sounds killer! And I bet you didn't have to blow your ears out cranking it to absurd levels to get that tone!:)

@Hhuent , I do not really miss the tube amps. I think the sounds, I get out of the Ax8 are stunning (at least they are to me). Easily on par with the best tube amp setups, I have owned (which, I will admit, is a fairly limited selection)

@vinnyburns , thanks for that info. It is a pitty that you cannot watch the second GM video. The entire Montreux 2010 concert is a stunning palette of wonderful playing and great guitar tones. I believe there are five or six HQ songs from the show on YT.

@bishop5150 , thanks, and you are right. I actually recorded this clip, while the wife was tugging in the 3 year old upstairs. That would not have been possible with the real deal.

So @yek's amp series made me try the Soldano - And to me Soldano means Gary Moore more than anything else. It is good ... It is really good. So good in fact that I did something that you are not supposed to do - I started playing Parisienne Walkways. Here in Europe, it is a no-no on par with Sweet Home Alabama and Sweet Child o Mine.

The rhythm track is recorded with the clean channel (Solo 100 clean) and the leads are recorded with the lead channel (Solo 100 lead). In the first chorus, I have my volume knob at 4-5, I turn it up to 10 for the second chorus.

Preset attached: Scene 1 is lead, cleans are scene 2

Do you make your presets based on how they sound recorded? Reason I ask is I loaded your preset into my AX8 and ran it through my monitor and it was super thin sounding. This has happened to me numerous times in the past so I'm trying to ascertain if guys are making 2 sets of presets, one for live and one for recording. Do you use this preset live? It sounds stellar in your recording though.

I made the preset for my KRK rokit RP6 G2 (phew what a name) studio monitors. I have not tried this preset through our PA yet. I only make one set of presets, and for the most part, I find that presets made for my studio monitors translate fairly well to our PA. If anything, I had to raise the treble a bit. Could it be my guitar that is dark or yours that is bright?

I made the preset for my KRK rokit RP6 G2 (phew what a name) studio monitors. I have not tried this preset through our PA yet. I only make one set of presets, and for the most part, I find that presets made for my studio monitors translate fairly well to our PA. If anything, I had to raise the treble a bit. Could it be my guitar that is dark or yours that is bright?

Ya, I guess. I find I run into this a lot so I wanted to ask. Could be that I like an "amp in room" vibe to my presets, which normally has less high end. Thanks for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom