[VIDEO] Ax8 tutorials, tips and tricks - compiled list

Hey! Well I just made a quick video on how I set up my Ax8 with the Set List Maker App, to auto change via midi the tempo of the delays and the preset selection.

Step By Step, just in case someone don't understand my "English" explanation lol.

1 - Create The Ax8 Presets. I currently have 13 presets, from bank 1-1 to bank 2-5
2 - On the Set List Maker App, I have all the songs my band play, with the tempo for each song
3 - Create all the Midi preset in SetListMaker
4 - Assign the program change for each Midi Preset (in the Ax8 use manual, the program change for Bank 1 Preset 1 is (0-0), for bank 1 preset 2 is (0-1) and etc etc.
5 - Assign the midi preset each song will use
6 - Create you layout for the shows, and select (start midi on song selection)
7 - Create the show and select the songs order

Start the show!

Hope you like it, and let me know if I can help with the setup.

Some of the material I did for the video tutorial series on the 1000+ Dream Rigs for the AX8 is helpful generally as well to AX8 users.

Here is the playlist link (there are multiple videos).

They cover a lot fo topics like getting hardware set up for live use, loading user cabs, loading presets, foot-switches assignments, etc. Hope it is helpful to newcomers to the AX8.

Also, here is a tutorial video I did on how to set up a global custom harmony scale in your Axe-Fx/AX8, using the Allman Brother's song "Jessica".

There is an "AllMyBrothers" bonus preset in most of my TonePacks that uses this particular scale to nail the harmony guitar parts. Video's concepts translate to AX8. Enjoy!

Hey everyone,

I'm a noob so I'm looking for some basic help how on to use this thing. My questions are:

1) Do I create the presents on the unit or in AX8-Edit?
2) I bought my unit used and it comes with Austin Buddy presets. I don't use 99% of these tones and I don't want them on there. Is there a way for me to get all these presets off my AX8 and saved onto my computer in case I want to use them later?
3) How do I limit the AX8 to just my own presets? I'm about to record a demo and I really don't see myself using more than 2 or 3 tones total.
4) Scenes - correct me if I'm wrong but those are basically situations where certain fx pedals are turned on or turned off, right? So I don't have to tap-dance on stage turning effects on or off? Alternatively can I just setup the buttons 1-8 on the board to toggle the on/off of effects in the chain?
5) If someone uploads a preset to the exchange, that usually does not include a cabinet, right?
6) Is an 'impulse reponse' (IR) just a cabinet or is that something else?
7) Live situation: I have a headrush 12" speaker which seems fine for at home, but in a live situation I believe I would still prefer to use a 4x12 cabinet. Is there a 4x12 FRFR cabinet to use with this thing? If not, what to AX8 users do if they still like a 4x12 cab?
8) Do the other newer Fractal units have a more user-friendly interface? I find the AX8 a little odd to mess with on the board itself, so my thinking is that I'd dial my sound on Ax8-Edit and just use the Ax8 to play live.
9) Can Ax8-Edit be used as a VST Plugin (for example to add coloration to a midi or audio signal in my DAW)?

Any help is appreciated!

Jesse

Hey everyone,

I'm a noob so I'm looking for some basic help how on to use this thing. My questions are:

1) Do I create the presents on the unit or in AX8-Edit?
2) I bought my unit used and it comes with Austin Buddy presets. I don't use 99% of these tones and I don't want them on there. Is there a way for me to get all these presets off my AX8 and saved onto my computer in case I want to use them later?
3) How do I limit the AX8 to just my own presets? I'm about to record a demo and I really don't see myself using more than 2 or 3 tones total.
4) Scenes - correct me if I'm wrong but those are basically situations where certain fx pedals are turned on or turned off, right? So I don't have to tap-dance on stage turning effects on or off? Alternatively can I just setup the buttons 1-8 on the board to toggle the on/off of effects in the chain?
5) If someone uploads a preset to the exchange, that usually does not include a cabinet, right?
6) Is an 'impulse reponse' (IR) just a cabinet or is that something else?
7) Live situation: I have a headrush 12" speaker which seems fine for at home, but in a live situation I believe I would still prefer to use a 4x12 cabinet. Is there a 4x12 FRFR cabinet to use with this thing? If not, what to AX8 users do if they still like a 4x12 cab?
8) Do the other newer Fractal units have a more user-friendly interface? I find the AX8 a little odd to mess with on the board itself, so my thinking is that I'd dial my sound on Ax8-Edit and just use the Ax8 to play live.
9) Can Ax8-Edit be used as a VST Plugin (for example to add coloration to a midi or audio signal in my DAW)?

Any help is appreciated!

Jesse
On number 2, yes - use FractalBot to back up all your presets to your computer. You can reinstall them later if you need to. Watch Dream Rigs tutorial videos on YouTube, they cover some of this “how to” stuff. Enjoy!

@epidemika
1. You can create presets either on the AX8 or with AX8 Edit.
3. Once you follow AB advice for #2 you can delete all existing presets if you choose. You can also just move them to a section or bank that you won't regularly use.
4. Scenes can do multiple things at once with a press of a switch.
5. Usually come with a cab, unless it is non Fractal IR.
6. IR = Cab! : )
7. I have the HR 1x12 and 2 1x8. I would just start with the 1x12, It goes PLENTY loud!
As you continue your journey you will find out more about what FRFR cabs are out there and what most users on this forum use.
8. It seems most people use AX8 edit to program and the knobs live for minor adjustments. Use it however you like.
9. I don't think so.

I am a long time Fractal user. I absolutely love everything I have purchased from them.
It has helped me as a musician, band member and I enjoy playing now more than ever!

Check out videos by Leon Todd @2112 Chris Axe Fx Tutorials @chris There is a lot of great stuff out there.
Enjoy the journey!

Last edited:
Hello to everyone.i got an ax8 two weeks ago.i can say as user of kemper it is really awesome on stage for live perfomances with PA or connecting to an amp fx return it is so really easy to use all parameters and etc.but the problem is that i can not understand while i am using with my audio interface at home with logic pro x the sound becomes incredibley high end fizzy and the body of the guitar sound is low and thick.i couldnt understand why.is there any solutions that you can suggest i need help please🙏🙏🙏.i use focusrite 1st gen 2i2 and yamaha hs 50 monitors with mac

Hello to everyone.i got an ax8 two weeks ago.i can say as user of kemper it is really awesome on stage for live perfomances with PA or connecting to an amp fx return it is so really easy to use all parameters and etc.but the problem is that i can not understand while i am using with my audio interface at home with logic pro x the sound becomes incredibley high end fizzy and the body of the guitar sound is low and thick.i couldnt understand why.is there any solutions that you can suggest i need help please🙏🙏🙏.i use focusrite 1st gen 2i2 and yamaha hs 50 monitors with mac
Check to make sure your Focusrite is not adding gain to the signal. On some units you can’t use the XLR ins that have automatic gain; you have to use the 1/4 TRS ins to bypass it. I know this was true for the Focusrite Scarletts. Also, true to use the AX8 S/PDIF output and instead and bypass the analog stuff when recording. Hope that helps!

Check to make sure your Focusrite is not adding gain to the signal. On some units you can’t use the XLR ins that have automatic gain; you have to use the 1/4 TRS ins to bypass it. I know this was true for the Focusrite Scarletts. Also, true to use the AX8 S/PDIF output and instead and bypass the analog stuff when recording. Hope that helps!
Thanks for your reply and help i have tried to use ax8 until this day with xlr output but zero gain on my audio interface and i do not have spdif in out on my scarlett.i will try to use it with trs cable.i also have fractal humbuster jacks🙏🙏

Thanks for your reply and help i have tried to use ax8 until this day with xlr output but zero gain on my audio interface and i do not have spdif in out on my scarlett.i will try to use it with trs cable.i also have fractal humbuster jacks🙏🙏
Read that Focusrite manual. But if it sounds way different going out the AX8 XLRs to the TRS ins of the focusrite, you’ll know that was the issue.

Read that Focusrite manual. But if it sounds way different going out the AX8 XLRs to the TRS ins of the focusrite, you’ll know that was the issue.
Thank you so much.i have tried to record a track today with humbuster jacks as stereo the sound is absolutely ok for me comparing to xlr output.🙏🙏

Back
Top Bottom