Vibrato or pitch modulation a la warped vinyl

dspry

Hello

I've built a Warmoth Tele Deluxe and wasn't able to fit it with a tremolo bridge. I wasn't all that set on it originally but as I didn't have the option it's sparked my desire to have the ability to do some kind of warbley pitch thing. I've looked at a few pitch-shifting tremolo and vibrato pedals but none seem to do this sound. There's a plug-in called Vinyl by iZotope (among quite a few others) that are able to create this effect and I was wondering if the Axe-FX has the ability to do this well.

What do you think?

PS - a second quick q - can you rout two amp blocks into one cabinet block?

As for the second question, yes I believe that would just involve running the two amp blocks in stereo into the single cab block, one panned hard left, the other hard right. Would need to be a stereo cab setting though.

dspry said:
Hello

I've built a Warmoth Tele Deluxe and wasn't able to fit it with a tremolo bridge. I wasn't all that set on it originally but as I didn't have the option it's sparked my desire to have the ability to do some kind of warbley pitch thing. I've looked at a few pitch-shifting tremolo and vibrato pedals but none seem to do this sound. There's a plug-in called Vinyl by iZotope (among quite a few others) that are able to create this effect and I was wondering if the Axe-FX has the ability to do this well.

What do you think?

PS - a second quick q - can you rout two amp blocks into one cabinet block?

Using the chorus or pitch detune at 100% ought to make things warbly.

I have suggested/requested a vinyl simulation, either as a algo or as a preset using already existing algos. I's really like that, I have not been able to recreate the sounds that izotope vinyl can do. I'd love to have a clean sound with a vinyl vibe to it, with crackling, lofi sound and warble. The only thing I really can't do is the crackle. Maybe with a synth block doing white noise or random...dunno.

You can introduce a regular vibrato, like a VB-2, with either the delay or chorus configured in a wet-only mode. And you can make the vibrato inconsistent, the way it would be on an LP, with some creative use of the controllers applied to the modulation parameters.

And you can introduce noise with an ordinary distortion or the tape distortion.

But if you really want the sound of a warped LP, you need to apply the effects to your entire mix. Not just the guitar. It might be an interesting effect to apply to the guitar, but the defects in an LP will apply to the vocals, drums, reverb, guitar, bass, keyboards, etc, all at the same time.

MrMunky said:
You can introduce a regular vibrato, like a VB-2, with either the delay or chorus configured in a wet-only mode. And you can make the vibrato inconsistent, the way it would be on an LP, with some creative use of the controllers applied to the modulation parameters.

But if you really want the sound of a warped LP, you need to apply the effects to your entire mix. Not just the guitar. It might be an interesting effect to apply to the guitar, but the defects in an LP will apply to the vocals, drums, reverb, guitar, bass, keyboards, etc, all at the same time.

Yea, but I imagine such an effect would work out great on guitar (or vox..or keys..or anything) alone, even though on a "real" lp, the "effect" would affect everything...

MrMunky said:

Using vibrato set to 100% wet that's got the depth and speed connected to the ADSR or envelope detectors and have them modulate the intensity of the effect the harder to you pick or whatnot. That'd be pretty freaking sweet actually. Gotta try that!

JohnLutz said:
How would you use tape distortion to simulate vinyl crackling?

I wouldn't. I'd use an extremely low frequency "random" waveform synth, its frequency slightly modulated, into a superfast-random-modulated highpass filter. I'd add a second synth to generate some noise and the 53Hz hum I hear in my kids' record player. Use a parametric EQ to sweeten the vintage vibe. For the "left in the car on a hot day" warped vinyl effect that the plugin offers, I'd run this whole thing into a delay whose time is modulated both finely (via a random LFO) and coarsely (via the delay's built in modulation). I'd use 0.75Hz for 45RPM or .55Hz for 33RPM. I'd mix in some narrow bandwidth guitar and compressors and it would sound something like this:

http://www.mysticworks.com/Vinyl_RPM.mp3

Signal path: Guitar-> Axe-Fx ->Sound Forge

:)

Matman said:
JohnLutz said:

I wouldn't. I'd use an extremely low frequency "random" waveform synth, its frequency slightly modulated, into a superfast-random-modulated highpass filter. I'd add a second synth to generate some noise and the 53Hz hum I hear in my kids' record player. Use a parametric EQ to sweeten the vintage vibe. For the "left in the car on a hot day" warped vinyl effect that the plugin offers, I'd run this whole thing into a delay whose time is modulated both finely (via a random LFO) and coarsely (via the delay's built in modulation). I'd use 0.75Hz for 45RPM or .55Hz for 33RPM. I'd mix in some narrow bandwidth guitar and compressors and it would sound something like this:

Haha, well done! :lol:

Matman said:
JohnLutz said:

damn!
that sounds excellent!

sweet intro sound - I can hear how it wants to crossfade to a clean sound when a drum intro comes in - 1/4 rest on 'one' (or '5' to be more precise) and *Bam* big, bad Ultra clean sound.

How about posting your settings? I got the crackling synths, but I
couldn't get the warped vinyl effect. Appreciate any help.

matman, you are an absolute tweak freak!!! utter genius! can't wait till i get my ultra so i can do this shit! very very impressed.

Back
Top Bottom