Very Serious Concern: Computing Power

slothy one

Inspired
Hey guys,

I'm a bit confused. I own a standard, and when I go to preset 152 - Velvet Sun, it saiys "Excess CPU Usage! Reduce Load." This seems to go against what it says in the Manual:

"The Axe-Fx uses worst-case scenarios in determining whether enough power is left to place an
effect and may not let you place an effect even if seemingly enough power is left. For example the
chorus can use up to 8% of the CPU if set to 8 voices and with controllers attached to all its
parameters. However it normally only uses a few percent. The Axe-Fx assumes the worst case and
checks to see if CPU utilization is less than 98 - 8 = 90%. This is done to prevent overloading the
CPU if the number of voices is increased."

The manual also says: "Despite the huge arsenal of effects at your disposal, the Axe-Fx first-and-foremost emphasizes sound quality"

I'm confused why the Axe-Fx would allow those components into the patch if they made the patch stutter due to too much CPU load. The worst-case scenario in this patch makes it stutter, and the manual makes it seem like they wouldn't have allowed that component to be added. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks

That preset was made with older firmware. Thanks for pointing this out. We need to modify the preset.

It depends on your setup. I own a standard and that preset works just fine even with the latest firmware. My best guess: it's due to me running it with a power amp & cab, hence I have the cabinet sim defeated, so the CPU is under the limit. Well if that preset needs tweaking, then so be it, but please dont tweak it too much, its a bloody good preset !

It depends on your setup. I own a standard and that preset works just fine even with the latest firmware. My best guess: it's due to me running it with a power amp & cab, hence I have the cabinet sim defeated, so the CPU is under the limit. Well if that preset needs tweaking, then so be it, but please dont tweak it too much, its a bloody good preset !

Disabling an effect does not reduce cpu usage. All it does is essentially put the mix=0%. It is still processing the effect, so that's not it. Cliff modifying a stock preset will not effect yours unless you overwrite it.

Current presets are from Dec 2009... there's been 7+ firmware upgrades since then.. I guess factory presets need to be redone :)

Disabling an effect does not reduce cpu usage. All it does is essentially put the mix=0%. It is still processing the effect, so that's not it. Cliff modifying a stock preset will not effect yours unless you overwrite it.

Interesting. Then why does my preset work, and his doesn't?

@craig Different firmware versions?

If you remove REVERB 2, the preset should run on the Standard. Adding a little bit of DIFFUSION on DELAY 2 helps make up for this difference of sound. Or, you can add a little side route to let chain A send a little verb to chain B. Here's an attempt... Can someone with a Standard test this?

Attachments

• Velvet Sun.syx
    2 KB · Views: 2
maybe along the same lines, i tried to update my friend's axe ultra... got the firmware to the latest; downloaded the presets from the support section and they would not load.

i think they still have the old system ID manufacturer or whatever that was, so they wouldn't install of course.

If you use AxeEdit to load presets it will update the sysex id when needed.

If I remember correctly you can just shunt one of the compressors and the patch will work. It didn't need much for mine to work.

Back
Top Bottom