Version 6.00 Preview

Part of the "trick" (if that's the right word) in getting the best results, presumably, will be to choose an existing amp block that is the most similar to the reference amp. Based on what criteria, though? If someone wanted to try to amp match a boutique amp that is sort of like an old Fender Tremolux, for example, would they choose the Bassguy amp block and hope for the best? Keep experimenting with different amp blocks until the user is happy with the results?

I think it'll be really interesting at that to try a comparative misfits of amps to accomplish some cool characters. Ex: Choose a "Texas Star Lead" or perhaps a "Shiver Clean" for a Fender Twin. I think the results will be pleasantly surprising with this type of experimenting in choosing the "base models" for the new matching feature.

I think it'll be really interesting at that to try a comparative misfits of amps to accomplish some cool characters. Ex: Choose a "Texas Star Lead" or perhaps a "Shiver Clean" for a Fender Twin. I think the results will be pleasantly surprising with this type of experimenting in choosing the "base models" for the new matching feature.

Yes...lots of possibilities for experimenting, but if the goal is to match the reference amp as closely as possible, then some of the surprises you get may not be so welcome.

Don't get me wrong, though. I'm really impressed by every clip that's been made so far. I'm just wondering how it'll work when trying to match an amp that's not already in the model collection. Will it be pretty accurate or not? That's all I'm wondering.

Speaking of collections...

How rad would it be for Cliff to release a preset bank where he has tone matched his amp collection? The one he uses for reference for coding the models?

Richard

Speaking of collections...

How rad would it be for Cliff to release a preset bank where he has tone matched his amp collection? The one he uses for reference for coding the models?

Richard

How many amps does he have? Any idea?

I bet I have more (or maybe not...who knows) ;) But the idea of sharing amp and tone matched presets is what has me pretty excited.

There are alot of good guitar tones people are probably not even thinking about that are already isolated. For example, capturing Warren DiMartini's intros on "Lay it Down" and "You're in Love". Other good ones include Iron Maiden's "Two Minutes to Midnight" or even something like Jimmy Page on "Heartbreaker".

There are going to be alot of great riffs people can capture without having to isolate tracks, etc.

Money For Nothing,lets see...

Not to mention that it should be possible to loop short snippets to obtain larger samples.
I'm thinking the guitar solo in LZ's "You Shook Me..."

I'd be interested in how the matched tone sounded before matching.

Maybe we could have three samples in the next preview?

Amp, Axe & Axe matched

Yes...lots of possibilities for experimenting, but if the goal is to match the reference amp as closely as possible, then some of the surprises you get may not be so welcome.

Don't get me wrong, though. I'm really impressed by every clip that's been made so far. I'm just wondering how it'll work when trying to match an amp that's not already in the model collection. Will it be pretty accurate or not? That's all I'm wondering.

Sure there are many amp models and ways to make something sound bad. That would be pretty easy to do. And of course you wouldn't use a "Plexi" as a "base amp" to achieve a "Rectifier". However you may want to try a "Cameron". Obviously "trial and error" and some basic common sense is called to order here.

Personally am totally stoked about some of the different flavors that could be pulled out of this technique. And with using different spices I think this will be a winning approach to it all along with the traditional choice of amps to match. :p

Last edited:
thought 6.0 would be released today :D
I'm hoping that it will be before the end of the month. The idea of wading through some idiot's April Fool's joke thread isn't very appealing to me. I've got a horribly evil sense of humor, but even I know that is over the line.

timautry said:
For those looking for a few good Joe Bonamassa guitar sources... these are YouTube, but isolated and reasonably clean and dry!

Joe Bonamassa - YouTube

This one has a lot of different tones... but a bit cleaner....

Joe Bonamasa Rockin' The Blues Guitarist DVD Part 1 - YouTube

these clips have reverb, but the cool part is he plays each amp separately...

Guitar Center Sessions: Joe Bonamassa, Amp Rig - YouTube

So my question is... can you Tone match two different amps in one Preset and combine? To get a tone-matched pair of JB's amps??

Cliff? Adam???

Does anyone know which axe II cab would be closest to the cabs that bonamassa is using? I think he explains it in the 3rd video.
Thanks

Sure there are many amp models and ways to make something sound bad. That would be pretty easy to do. And of course you wouldn't use a "Plexi" as a "base amp" to achieve a "Rectifier". However you may want to try a "Cameron". Obviously "trial and error" and some basic common sense is called to order here.

Personally am totally stoked about some of the different flavors that could be pulled out of this technique. And with using different spices I think this will be a winning approach to it all along with the traditional choice of amps to match. :p

Well, right...For the Plexi, you'd choose a Plexi, and for the Rectifier, you'd choose a Rectifier. If someone owns a Boogie Mark I, then I don't know what they'd choose. I don't have all the amp models at my fingertips to know what's available. Maybe a safe bet would be to choose a Mark II C+ model?

Anyway, I really have no clue what amp blocks I'd choose to try to match many of the amps in my personal collection. It's pretty much a stab in the dark in a lot of cases.

Does anyone know which axe II cab would be closest to the cabs that bonamassa is using? I think he explains it in the 3rd video.
Thanks
EVM12L cabs. He uses 4x12 cabs, divided internally and wired stereo (unless he has changed that). IMO, the big problem with his rig would be the Jubilee, as there is nothing in the Axe-Fx II that is similar enough (unless I missed something?). For the cabs... Good EVM12L IRs. If you find some truly sweet ones, please share :D I will be attempting some soon, but these have been rough for me. A single mic (and thus single IR).. would be nice to *find* one that actually sounds, erm, "right." :D

Reactions: jon
EVM12L cabs. -->. A single mic (and thus single IR).. would be nice to *find* one that actually sounds, erm, "right." :D

After the tone matching is out and I know definitely what equippment is necessary (microphone) I then then IR capture my old Thiele with an old EVM12L and share.Lets see wether that is close,at least it sounds close playing through an elder Marshall(minus my unability in talent and fingers)

Roland

Back
Top Bottom