Version 6.00 Preview

This sounds like it's going to be a pile of fun to play with! Very much looking forward to checking out the power amp modeling update. Thanks yet again to the folks at FAS and to the beta testers for all of the time and effort you put into making the best even better!

...oh, almost forgot: thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou for bringing the FAS Super Tweed back!! This was one of my favorite models in the Standard/Ultra.

Side note: I used to own a 1958 Tweed Deluxe chassis many years ago that Andy Marshall at THD Electronics brought back from the dead. Transformers, chassis, lamp housing, and the 'Fender Deluxe' name plate were original parts - everything else was gone or destroyed. Andy restored it to factory spec save for the use of a 1/4" speaker out Jack. and the channels being internally jumpered. He built a narrow panel tweed head box for the restored chassis. I purchased this amp through the local Buy & Sell for a couple hundred dollars. When I showed up to test drive the amp it was sitting atop a Marshall 'basketweave' A-cab. One power chord and I knew it was going home with me. It came stocked with NOS tubes (all FDA's IIRC). At the time I demo'd the amp the owner has a socketed solid state rectifier installed. This and the Marshall 4x12 turned the amp into a whole different beast - a super tweed! I later had a replica narrow panel tweed Deluxe cabinet built, found a period correct Jensen (original cone), and a NOS rectifier tube. Restored to its original form it was easily the best sounding Fender tweed era amp I have ever heard or played through. I found that I was able to get the FAS Super Tweed to sound just like I remember that little tweed Deluxe head and 4x12 from 20+ years ago. This is why I dug the FAS Super Tweed so much and why I'm looking so forward to having this model back.

^ Keep in mind that the Fas Super Tweed won't sound the same as it did in the previous units. That doesn't mean it won't sound as good or better than before, but it will be different for sure!!

I was hoping that 6.00 would have been released this weekend since I am doing extensive A/B tests between the KPA and the AFII and feel like 6.00 will change things so much that these tests will be meaningless. Oh well, no wine before its time.

^ Keep in mind that the Fas Super Tweed won't sound the same as it did in the previous units. That doesn't mean it won't sound as good or better than before, but it will be different for sure!!

This is true. If it ports as well as the 'Buttery' sim did I'll be one happy camper! :)

It's Gonna Be BIG

Fellow Forumites:

I can share unofficially that your remarkable beta team is doing its best to keep up with Fractal/Cliff, who apparently never, ever sleeps ...can tell you from experience that Firmware version 6.0 and the stock amp tone matching of the AXE II amps to the real amps is going to blow your mind... things you ALREADY loved will get even better. Amps I used to pass over pretty quickly like the Hiwatt are unbelievable now.

You don't need to be an amp geek and tweak the advanced pages really much at all in FW 6.0, the newly-matched amps behave/sound like "the real things" do. Rolling your volume knob down works just like it does on real amps IMHO, things clean up...it's going to be much much much harder (if not impossible) to distinguish which is real amp sound which is AXE FX II 6.0 (as some clips already are indicating).

Patience WILL be rewarded! Do let these amazing Fractal guys with beta team pounding get everything right/take that time -- because as Cliff said earlier it's apparently a 3-way release to get everything working together in complete harmony (symphony?) -- new MFC firmware, new AXE II firmware,and updated Axe-Edit/Manage.

There is a Doyle Bramhall Sr. (RIP) song, of Austin Texas music fame, that comes to mind...so I quote:

"And it's gonna big for someone... and that someone might be me....it's going to big for someone...oh I just got a feelin' ya'll!"

Fellow Forumites:

I can share unofficially that your remarkable beta team is doing its best to keep up with Fractal/Cliff, who apparently never, ever sleeps ...can tell you from experience that Firmware version 6.0 and the stock amp tone matching of the AXE II amps to the real amps is going to blow your mind... things you ALREADY loved will get even better. Amps I used to pass over pretty quickly like the Hiwatt are unbelievable now.

You're as impressed with the new tone and amp matching features as you are with the revisions that have been made to all of the amp models in the Axe II? I just wanted to make sure I understood what you wrote above correctly.

Thanks!

You're as impressed with the new tone and amp matching features as you are with the revisions that have been made to all of the amp models in the Axe II? I just wanted to make sure I understood what you wrote above correctly.

Thanks!

Yes I am -- loved it before, but often had to tweak a lot to get some amps where I liked them... but now, totally blown away and (this is important) IT IS EASIER TO DIAL IT IN FROM THE GET-GO, BECAUSE IT SOUNDS GREAT/REALISTIC TO START, AT DEFAULT... you'll see it in most cases it sounds like the real amps do for those who have played them, or have listened to those great tones on records.

Really, we've never had it so good. I used to visit Austin Vintage Guitars and played a LOT of cool vintage amps over the years...and this black box fulfills my amp GAS in spades. It FEELS like playing an amp and responds like an amp. Never have to worry about tubes or it blowing up either. Modeling technology has *finally* gotten there, and especially under Cliff & company's perseverance, he simply does not stop working at nailing it until something is damn perfect... this firmware is going to set the bar.

Public kudos and thanks to the staff at FAS for the continuing updates and improvements. It's an expensive unit, but honestly this level of support along with the base quality and flexibility make it money well spent.

With boutique amps at $2000-$4000 dollars apiece, I bought 70 of them in one fell swoop with an AXE FX II. Sorry to sound like an advertisement. But selling all my amps (save 1) more than paid for everything, and I truly have not missed a single one of them.

Last edited:
With boutique amps at $2000-$4000 dollars apiece, I bought 70 of them in one feel swoop with an AXE FX II. Sorry to sound like an advertisement. But selling all my amps (save 1) more than paid for everything, and I truly have not missed a single one of them.
Yeah. Every time that I think about what it was that I sold off and replaced with this little box it was the equivalent of trading in 4 rusty bicycles and a half eaten ham sandwich for a Ferrari. And there's only a little bit of sarcasm in there, the value for this thing is insane if you take into account everything that it can do and at what level.

I love the Axe Fx and have since June 2009. I love that it keeps getting improved. I love Cliff's dedication to that end....that being said, the hyperbole that prefaces every FW release gets a bit tiring. Glad you're excited but beta testers seem to do that every time...jus sayin'

Words cannot express the excitement instilled in me!!!

My new quote for Cliff & Company... "ALL YOUR AMPS ARE BELONG TO US!" :twisted

6.0 feels like it's going to be Cliff's first FW where the Axe meets its true potential. I'm sure there will be more refinements to come, but this feels like milestone for sure.

Last edited:
Sorry in advance, Ive tried to keep up with all the threads, but 2 questions:

1) Are all amp models reworked persay, and mainly in what way, tweaks to default parameters, or new global power amp modeling?
2) Will this mean drastic changes to presets we have personally made/altered tweaks, requiring a start from scratch suggestion again, or can some minor tweaks be made to existing, "liked" patches/presets? thanks for anyone that knows.

Fellow Forumites:

You don't need to be an amp geek and tweak the advanced pages really much at all in FW 6.0, the newly-matched amps behave/sound like "the real things" do. Rolling your volume knob down works just like it does on real amps IMHO, things clean up...it's going to be much much much harder (if not impossible) to distinguish which is real amp sound which is AXE FX II 6.0 (as some clips already are indicating).

Patience WILL be rewarded! Do let these amazing Fractal guys with beta team pounding get everything right/take that time -- because as Cliff said earlier it's apparently a 3-way release to get everything working together in complete harmony (symphony?) -- new MFC firmware, new AXE II firmware,and updated Axe-Edit/Manage.

There is a Doyle Bramhall Sr. (RIP) song, of Austin Texas music fame, that comes to mind...so I quote:

"And it's gonna big for someone... and that someone might be me....it's going to big for someone...oh I just got a feelin' ya'll!"

funny Doyle Bramhall (jr I assume) went to my high school, over the years Ive heard him getting more and more famous, I didnt even know in hs he played guitar, now considered one of the top texas blues dudes?

Back
Top Bottom