VAI hears 1/1000th of a second latency in Modeling (No Way cheap shot)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@lqdsnddist - I know you've mentioned before some statistics on the measured ability of the human ear to detect latency...

And as someone mentioned above, 1ms latency is equivalent to moving a VERY small distance from the speakers.

If he was affected by 1ms delay he would need to always stand very close to his cabs and not be running around the stage.

I like Steve. I've been to Vai Academy twice. He's insanely talented and has a deep philosophy and is a very open guy.

But I have to call bullshit.

At the 2019 Vai Academy @Admin M@ was in a session with Steve talking about signal processing and he made a similar comment on latency. It really irritated me... Matt seemed to take it like the pro he is.

Oh, well. I don't expect it will change.

Some famous people is on cults like Scientology, others hear voices, others can hear things beyond the speed of sound

@lqdsnddist - I know you've mentioned before some statistics on the measured ability of the human ear to detect latency...

And as someone mentioned above, 1ms latency is equivalent to moving a VERY small distance from the speakers.

If he was affected by 1ms delay he would need to always stand very close to his cabs and not be running around the stage.

I like Steve. I've been to Vai Academy twice. He's insanely talented and has a deep philosophy and is a very open guy.

But I have to call bullshit.

At the 2019 Vai Academy @Admin M@ was in a session with Steve talking about signal processing and he made a similar comment on latency. It really irritated me... Matt seemed to take it like the pro he is.

Oh, well. I don't expect it will change.

Guys like Steve seem to be intimately in tune with their instruments. If he says he can FEEL it (he didn't say he could HEAR it) then I don't have much reason not to believe him.

I don't see why he would feel the need to cook up such an elaborate bullshit response when he's pretty well known for being genuine, helpful, and generous with his time and insight. When he was asked why he changed the Jem he simply said, "because I can". Didn't cook up a bullshit story. When asked why he doesn't like modeling he could have just as easily said, "because I don't".

When he was asked why he changed the Jem he simply said, "because I can". Didn't cook up a bullshit story. When asked why he doesn't like modeling he could have just as easily said, "because I don't".

Except, he started bashing digital modelers. Nobody asked him.

Guys like Steve seem to be intimately in tune with their instruments. If he says he can FEEL it (he didn't say he could HEAR it) then I don't have much reason not to believe him.

I don't see why he would feel the need to cook up such an elaborate bullshit response when he's pretty well known for being genuine, helpful, and generous with his time and insight. When he was asked why he changed the Jem he simply said, "because I can". Didn't cook up a bullshit story. When asked why he doesn't like modeling he could have just as easily said, "because I don't".
Have you ever experienced latency?

You can't feel it without hearing it because that is how you perceive latency - you hear a note later than you played it.

Except, he started bashing digital modelers. Nobody asked him.

Beato asked him his philosphy on modelers. So yes, he was asked for his opinion.

Interestingly enough, I play through an Axe-Fx and I didn't find his comments to be bashing the unit. Only why chooses not to use it in that fashion.

It's quite interesting how ones bias can color how one perceives the exact same information as someone else...

FWIW, Hass panning (delaying one side of a split mono signal) is in the 3-5 ms range, and though you don't hear it as a delay, your brain reassembles the stereo image in your consciousness as "panned to the side that arrived first". Unless the modeler amp was being run in parallel with a regular analog amp in a dual amp rig, you would not be able to detect it....

I'm not arguing that.

You said he "feels it" not "hears it". I'm saying that is semantics because you can't have one without the other.

tomato, tomahto...

Again, I simply don't see why he would feel the need to cook up such an elaborate bullshit story, and reiterate it over the years, to explain why his preference is to not use modeling.

Vai is going to have to start demanding specific air temperatures and elevations to perform in soon, because those little changes in atompsheric conditions can have a slight (but surely perceivable by him) change in the speed of sound..... totally results in too much lag
Sorry to disappoint. The EJ battery legend is true.

Again, I simply don't see why he would feel the need to cook up such an elaborate bullshit story, and reiterate it over the years, to explain why his preference is to not use modeling.
People have complex minds... I don't pretend to know.

We have different opinions, that's fine. I don't need to argue the point.

Meh, some don't like modelling some do. Thing to remember Vai is a businessman, and a good one, what he is doing is selling his signature Synergy module.

This is one of many reasons why I have meticulously trained my YouTube algo to avoid Beato. Collateral damage like avoiding Music is Win and a few other music YouTubers is a result but you cant make an omelette...

I don’t think he means he literally feels 1ms. However, I suspect he does hear and feel something different. It may be the timing, dynamics and envelope shape are different than what he is accustomed to. It could be caused by modeling or the playback system.

An interesting experiment would be to record a real amp and various modelers to measure latency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom