VAI hears 1/1000th of a second latency in Modeling (No Way cheap shot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PincoTech

Experienced
Absolutely ridiculous and arrogant.
If he was talking about 15ms, like in cheaper and older modeling okay, i get it.
Every circuit on the planet regardless of software has latency.
When you're talking about 2-3 milliseconds, its not even an argument.
I love VAI, but man, stating a lie, to convince consumers that tubes are the only way, is deceiving.

Modeling has advanced so much, that swings below the belt are needed apparently.

His supposedly revolutionary interchangeable tube modules, were already invented long ago.
Remember the Seymour Duncan Convertible in 84'? I had one

I've always looked up to him, even 40 years ago, when he released his first 4 track "Attitude song"
A low blow like that turns me off big time.
grrrrrrrr

He starts talking about modeling at 7:45 into this video.

I love Steve Vai. He uses an Axe FXIIXL+ live for his effects only. I don't hear the latency he is talking about when playing live, but I'm not Steve Vai. I do hear latency when recording sometimes, but I don't think that is the Axe FX's fault.

Last edited:
I saw that interview, didn't find it arrogant at all. Modeling isn't for everyone. He stated his reasons why he uses something else while also stating that others use it with great results.

The irony of it all is that while he's explaining all of this, right behind him in his rack, is an Axe-Fx II.

HUGE Vai fan, but he goes on to say that all of his analog tube amp stuff goes through the AXE 2 for effects before hitting the cabs. Doesn't this make his point moot?
His vocal animation of latency fired me up, cause I do remember those days, and they’re well in the past. Heck I can get down to 10ms latency using an iPhone 10 & Bias

I saw that interview, didn't find it arrogant at all. Modeling isn't for everyone. He stated his reasons why he uses something else while also stating that others use it with great results.

The irony of it all is that while he's explaining all of this, right behind him in his rack, is an Axe-Fx II.
I could just see his agenda. All for sales. I’m a huge vai fan too

I could just see his agenda. All for sales. I’m a huge vai fan too
Perhaps, though it didn't come across as a sales pitch for something else to me. To be fair, he didn't say he hears the latency, he says he feels it and it makes him feel disconnected from the instrument. Might sound ridiculous to me, but what do I know? I play my guitar in my living room through my Axe-Fx in the evenings for about 20 minutes before I pass out in my chair. LOL.

He's obviously trying to sell the Synergy stuff. He has talked about this latency thing numerous times. He used to be way harder on modeling not too long ago, but I suspect he can't really fall back on anything else at this point than the latency only he can feel. I love Vai, but it's so blatantly obvious that this is business. But then again, we're talking about the guy who (at least at one point) used Bogners hidden backstage instead of the Legacys he was endorsing. Not totally unheard of though. Nuno Bettencourt did the same thing, and I'm sure there are other examples.

Last edited:
He's obviously trying to sell the Synergy stuff. I love Vai, but it's so blatantly obvious. But then again, we're talking about the guy who (at least at one point) used Bogners hidden backstage instead of the Legacys he was endorsing. Not totally unheard of though. Nuno Bettencourt did the same thing, and I'm sure there are other examples.
His vocal animation of 1ms was actually more like 50ms lol. I love Vai, even love tubes, although have no need for them. He’s misleading the younger generation by saying modeling has latency, and going as far as talking about 1ms. I just looked at the gear page and obviously other people are picking up on this, and they’re pissed

Some people like pineapple on their pizza.... he’s selling amps. Always has. I don’t think it’s possible to hear 1ms. I also don’t agree on the argument about modelers disappearing in a mix live. Anything can be dialed in and disappear in a mix, happens all the time, even with tubes.

Sonic waves need about 3ms to travel one meter.

So in 1ms the sound coming from any speaker travels about 30cm.

Just let that sink in and think about how stepping away one meter or even two from your cab makes you feel a "lag". Right, it doesn't.

It's perfectly okay to not like something. That's how the world goes. I just find it hard to respect peoples opinions (and sometimes the people themselves) when thy try to justify their taste by obvious BS scientifically wrong lies.

Vai is, arguably, at the pinnacle of talent when it comes to both guitar and music composition for guitar. What goes on in the mind of someone so impossibly deep into the instrument and so utterly capable with that instrument is very hard for anyone else to comprehend.

You reach a point in your mastery of a subject where what might be unnoticeable minutiae to anyone else become peas under your proverbial mattress. Vai is most certainly at that point with the guitar as he approaches the instrument.

I can no more judge his opinions of how technology benefits or hinders his ability to perform on his instrument and translate his musical ideas into reality than he could on areas of life where I have mastery (which are not, alas, at all music performance related).

Edit: also, we all have to put food on the table.

Vai is going to have to start demanding specific air temperatures and elevations to perform in soon, because those little changes in atompsheric conditions can have a slight (but surely perceivable by him) change in the speed of sound..... totally results in too much lag

i wonder if he complains about the latency between his speaker and mic? That’d be about 1ms. How on earth does he play live? Or get thru a session? Must be extremely trying times for a man of his prowess.
He must also have some kinda new, “Nearer than Near Field” monitors..
“Milliseconds? No way, Microseconds, guess again... Nanoseconds, uh-ahh, try again.. Vaiseconds.. yeah 😎

i feel like Rick heard "i don't do modeling" and then had an AHA moment and really asked hard to get the question answered. he left so much of it in the final edit of the video. it seems like Rick doesn't like modeling and wanted someone of Vai's stature to say why for his own peace of mind.

i have no doubt that Vai can sense things that others can't, and i feel i was exaggerating a bit with the 1 ms statement. if he doesn't like modeling, that's fine. but i feel like Rick torpedoed that question. you could see his eyes light up just before he asked the question.

i feel like Rick heard "i don't do modeling" and then had an AHA moment and really asked hard to get the question answered. he left so much of it in the final edit of the video. it seems like Rick doesn't like modeling and wanted someone of Vai's stature to say why for his own peace of mind.

i have no doubt that Vai can sense things that others can't, and i feel i was exaggerating a bit with the 1 ms statement. if he doesn't like modeling, that's fine. but i feel like Rick torpedoed that question. you could see his eyes light up just before he asked the question.
Nailed it Chris!!!

I've watched Rick a lot, and he HATES modeling.
I felt all that too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom