V6 firmware: Time to Release the Monster - Speaker Resonance Page

Pirate chicks? Don't you know pirate chicks are really dudes? And some pirate dudes were chicks? That's because of the output transformer thing. Ninja chicks ftw.
Ohhhh. scantily clad ninja chicks....

Wow. I'm glad I found this. One of the most important posts I've ever come across- this should be required reading for all Axe Fx users.

I could be wrong - and indeed openly confess to not having re-read the whole thread - but I suspect that much of this might have been superseded by advances in other areas...
unsure.gif

If so, please point me in the right direction. When I implemented the changes mentioned here, many of my guitar tones improved dramatically. To my ears, this is still relevant information I was unaware of. But of course, I'm always open to further suggestions.

The information in this thread is still good. However, much has changed since FW 6. Check the release notes from later firmware to find things you can try that might be even more powerful tone-changers.And trust your ears. Much old information is still good information.

FWIW - I used this approach up till version 7 and have not used it since.

To each their own. If you it works for you; it works for you.

I really dig this approach for taming magnetic feedback when using high gain sounds on single coil pickups (I'm playing through the Matrix FR212 cab) - no high frequency squeals but still lots of single coil goodness even at high volumes and with a fair amount of gain. It's good. Goooood.

What does NF/FF refer to regarding setting up a cab block?
NF (near field) and FF (far field) describe where the microphone was placed when the IR was captured—either right in front of the speaker or farther away from it.

FWIW - I used this approach up till version 7 and have not used it since.

To each their own. If you it works for you; it works for you.

+1.

Since the advent of UR, I spend more time taking the 'spiky' nature out of UR with speaker drive than bothering with resonance (although I tighten up occasionally with raising LFRes.)

He means Low Frequency Resonance. I bump that up a little sometimes if an amp could use a little more in the bottom without getting to flubby.

Back
Top Bottom