V6 firmware: Time to Release the Monster - Speaker Resonance Page

I went back to the Fractal defaults with 7 they just seemed more alive and "right" with the new firmware

I went back to the Fractal defaults with 7 they just seemed more alive and "right" with the new firmware

As have I; I'm finding I like 7.0 defaults as I'm starting with a clean slate, but the time spent playing with the speaker resonance was really worth it and enlightening...

For an even more "in the room feel" try adding another stereo cab block into the signal chain. This time use the second JM Far Field cab IR. For example, I am having great results with Scott Peterson's BE patch with the following IR's. Cab 1 - #64 or #44 and #29, Cab 2 - #37 and #28. Right away this was even more in your face. This approach will also allow you to mix speakers for a more custom sound. I was trying to mix in 2 NF speakers just like the real Dave Friedman cabinets, Greenbacks and Vintage 30's.

Adjust you eq block in the amp settings to slightly modify the midranges to taste. I used Scott's suggested settings for the speaker resonance but left alone the factory HI freq and HI res settings.

Try and enjoy

Yeah, the bass seems better controlled in 7.0, so I'm preferring the stock resonance settings too.

Sigh...

Any way to reset *just* the spkr tab to stock without also resetting every other control?

I'm running the defaults with 7.0.

I'd still like to think the process has value; because through the process people learn what they like and do not like based on them using their ears.

The process definitely has value. I learned a lot from this thread (despite going back to default values in FW 7.0). As always, your enthusiasm is what shines through, as is your willingness to share your various discoveries.

So, having said that... and despite this thread kind of fizzling out the way it did, I'd still like to thank you for it and the time you put into making your process available to the rest of us. Very helpful in the the long run.

Yeah, the bass seems better controlled in 7.0, so I'm preferring the stock resonance settings too.

Sigh...

Any way to reset *just* the spkr tab to stock without also resetting every other control?

Yes. If you use Axe-edit, you can double click on the center of the virtual knob and it will reset that specific parameter.

I'm running the defaults with 7.0.
I'd still like to think the process has value; because through the process people learn what they like and do not like based on them using their ears.

This is what I found - I dialed in some v7 patches using SP's v6 speaker tab settings...and didn't like them much. Any thoughts as to why we like the default speaker settings now? Did v7 change the default way in which the amp reacts with the cab so that it's more aligned to the curve you were implementing in v6? Or did the new pre/power-amp modeling make things more realistic prior to the cab?

It doesn't much matter now I suppose, just wondering. I did spend a lot more time with the speaker tab due to the above method and learned a few things, so it was a worthwhile exercise. As always, thanks for pushing the knowledge Scott.

V7 changed the approach for me.

I had to rethink everything from scratch and went back to square one and rethought my own methods; just relearning the box. I like major firmware upgrades that allow for simplification; V7 greatly enhanced that aspect.

I tried lots of different approaches before I settled on one for me using V7: I am using Red Wire IR's again - typically the same speaker in stereo, with one being a SM57 0" Cap Edge and one being a R121 0" Cap mixed 50/50 and *both* panned center. Using the stock internal cabs works for this to a point; it sounds more focused and less clouded if you do it by dropping in the actual IR's from Red Wires IMHO. No Motor Drive, no Room from the cab block. Every other value stock/default. For some cleaner amps (especially the Fender's) I prefer the EV-RE20 instead of the SM57. I have been working this way now for a few weeks, sounds great. I did some work with Fractal Forum member Big Joe Daddy and he agreed the SM57/R121 mix is the bomb for dirty stuff; and the RE20/R121 mix works great on cleaner stuff.

Doing that, I can dial in most any amp very quickly. Sounds and more importantly, it feels phenomenal post V7. I've edited the thread title to denote that this was a V6 based approach.

o_O good Lord I came to the same conclusions!

Except I'm using the mix in the RW IR's at 0.5", same positions as Scott's.

Oh, and I keep tuning the low res freq.

Great info Scott - thanks.

So do you mean you're not mixing in an FF cab? Edit: I see your new v7 post - you're not mixing FF any more. Got it.

Whats the difference between NF and FF IR's? Basically how do i tell them apart?

In the Axe-FX II they all carry the "JM" moniker. Also, in the Red Wire and Own Hammer commercially available IR's, they are clearly named "Far Field".

Whats the difference between NF and FF IR's?
Near-field IRs are created by close-miking the speaker—in other words, they're miked in the near field. Far-field IRs are shot with the mic farther away, where room reflections can influence the capture.

And in the special case of the JM far field IR's, he took great care to capture the IR's at least 1 meter from the speaker but with *no* boundary reflections.

Richard

Dear Scott,

very interesting Post.
I am still wondering, why the "Speaker" param is within the amp parameters. As far as I understand this is the inter-action of the speaker impedance to the output transformer of the amp. This means that the output transformer would not have this frequency and impedance characteristics with a true 8ohm load or even with another speaker. Correct?
So why not model the impedance curve within the cabinet parameters - this would stay the same then for all amp models but would be individual for every cab..

The interaction between the specific output transformer and the specific speaker is what the axe fx processer would have to simulate.

In my understanding this is how a real amp interacts with a real speaker.

Am I wrong?

Regards

Dear Scott,

very interesting Post.
I am still wondering, why the "Speaker" param is within the amp parameters. As far as I understand this is the inter-action of the speaker impedance to the output transformer of the amp. This means that the output transformer would not have this frequency and impedance characteristics with a true 8ohm load or even with another speaker. Correct?
So why not model the impedance curve within the cabinet parameters - this would stay the same then for all amp models but would be individual for every cab..

The interaction between the specific output transformer and the specific speaker is what the axe fx processer would have to simulate.

In my understanding this is how a real amp interacts with a real speaker.

Am I wrong?

Regards

A speaker's impedance curve shows how the speaker's impedance varies with frequency. The nominal impedance (4, 8, 16 ohms) is 1.15 time the minimum impedance of the speaker and is used as a reference for matching a speaker to an amp - the speaker does not operate at a constant 4/8/16 ohms.

The varying impedance interacts with the output transformer which causes the impedance of the output transformer, as seen by the power tubes, to also vary. As the impedance curve is related to the speaker it would make sense to put this data in the Cab block but the impedance curve data interacts with the power amp so, I assume, Fractal put the Speaker Resonance page in the Amp block to keep from having to actively pass this data between the Cab and Amp blocks.

Back
Top Bottom