V6 firmware: Time to Release the Monster - Speaker Resonance Page

So I updated to 7.0 and I defaulted the speaker Resonance settings back to fractals (F) numbers. I played around for a while then plugged in Scott and Jay's (SJ) recommendation for the low and mid and man it just sounds great. I left the high frequency F settings after listening to the debate and it sounds huge. The F settings overall to me sound thinner and more produced where SJ settings sound more like a real amp in the room. So now I have a hybrid ;) things are sounding great.

The 'down to brass tacks' suggestions for the amp's speaker resonance portion worked great fro my jcm 800 and HBE pre sets -fuller bigger tone smoothing harshness and providing a little more low end wth out flub. I tried it on a Fender amp and it was a little muddy. By the way what is 'OP' ? Everyone uses that like we all know what it means......

Thanks guys. So Is it just me or are the dials in AE very hard to get exact to the numbers suggested in the OP? Is there a trick I am missing.

Tried that but it went back to the default value. Must be because I am using a MAC. The fix was just putting the curser in the box and using the arrows to get there.

I don't know about Axe Edit myself these days. I was getting way too many screwy things going on using it, so now I'm all front panel. I don't have any of the supremely weird things happening to my presets on the Axe since I stopped using it.

Tried that but it went back to the default value. Must be because I am using a MAC. The fix was just putting the curser in the box and using the arrows to get there.

I'm on a Mac, and the key is to hit <return> or <enter> after you type the number in. If you don't it will not stick.

Terry.

Scott Peterson said:
Speaker Resonance Tab

Suggested settings:

Low Res Freq: Find the Resonant Frequency of the NF (Near Field Speaker) you use in your Cab block. (Sources are the manufacturer's of the speakers). Add 10Hz to that value.
Low Res Q: 1.556
Low Resonance: 3.55

Mid Res Freq: 726Hz
Mid Res Q: 0.355
Mid Resonance: -1.20db

Hi Freq: 2900Hz
Hi Resonance: 1.56

Cab Block:
NF/FF cab suggestions by amp/tone

Fender (or Fender Like tones): NF) C12N (RW) or whatever you prefer / (FF) JM 112 EMI Open Back

Vox (or Vox like tones): (NF) Top Boost Blue (RW) or whatever you prefer / (FF) JM EMI 112 Open Back

Marshall: (NF) OH 412 SLM G65; though I really go by taste on this, also use the H75 OH a lot / (FF) JM 212 G12-65

Higher Gain:(NF) OH SLM V30 or whatever you prefer / (FF) JM 212 G12-65 (FF)

How to get true V7 sound?

Just to make sure I don't do some unnecessary tweaking, after updating to V7 I'll have to reset the amp block by double clicking bypass button, and reset all speaker resonnace tab by Scott's suggestion? Right?
Would be nice to have these parameters optionally as global parameters!

What happened if I don't reset the amp block, will it still sound like V6 or worse?

Just to make sure I don't do some unnecessary tweaking, after updating to V7 I'll have to reset the amp block by double clicking bypass button...?
It's better to reset the amp by selecting a different amp type, returning to the original amp type, and then saving the preset. That will just reset the advanced parameters. Double-clicking the bypass button willr eset all the amp's parameters, including the gain and EQ you originally dialed in.

Rex said:
It's better to reset the amp by selecting a different amp type, returning to the original amp type, and then saving the preset. That will just reset the advanced parameters. Double-clicking the bypass button willr eset all the amp's parameters, including the gain and EQ you originally dialed in.

Thanks for the tip, I didn't know of these different ways for resetting. Very helpfull.

Scott Peterson said:
I am reassessing my entire approach right now with V7... so for my recommendations for V7 (if they matter to you) stay tuned.

Sure it matters! Waiting for your new V7 approach eagerly!

Heres how my Framus 2x12 (Vintage 30's 8Ω) Impedance curve looks like.
2x12vintage30s.jpg

Peak is at 120Hz.

Can anyone please Plot a 4x12 with REW (Room EQ Wizard) or any other impedance plotting software.
This would be helpful.

Attachments

• 2x12vintage30s.jpg
    2x12vintage30s.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom