V10 Firmware

Spent some time with FW10 and the new presets over the last few days and I'm fully on board with any mention of this being the best the Axe has ever sounded by quite a margin. The Axe II was my first jump into modeling and I've played vintage type amps for many years up to now- FW10 sounds and feels like playing through these amps. The new IRs are a huge jump forward as well. Hats off to Cliff and the guys at FAS for this accomplishment. I had to take a day off work this week just to enjoy this thing with an empty house.

Still just playing with an amp and a cab haven't touched an effect yet. What a blast, but I don't think my neighbors like guitar feedback at 11pm. Didn't realize how late it was last night!!

Last night was a plexi night for me! as a big boogie fan, i tried a change last night and boy it was fun! marshall plexi paired with rat sounded awesome!

Does FW 10 offer the simple roll back where you can conveniently go back to 9.xx, 8.xx, and 7.xx? That is what blew me away about FW 9!! I have FW 9 sounding soo amazing that I'm only upgrading to if that roll back feature is offered so I can conveniently go back if need be.

Thanks!
rich

Does FW 10 offer the simple roll back where you can conveniently go back to 9.xx, 8.xx, and 7.xx? That is what blew me away about FW 9!! I have FW 9 sounding soo amazing that I'm only upgrading to if that roll back feature is offered so I can conveniently go back if need be.

Thanks!
rich

yes you can still select..

Simple question about resetting the amp. Do I have to switch to another amp and then right back? Or do I have to select another amp, save, and select my amp again? I'm assuming it's the former, because many of the parameters change when I select a new amp.

Simple question about resetting the amp. Do I have to switch to another amp and then right back? Or do I have to select another amp, save, and select my amp again? I'm assuming it's the former, because many of the parameters change when I select a new amp.

The former.

Thanks!
rich

It is not really 9.xx, so don't bother. It won't sound the same, because the engine changed and cannot do 9.xx anymore. I suggest doing what I am doing ... bitching like crazy and updating to 10 as fast as I can! It is worth it so far, it really does sound beter than 9.

As a new Axe-Fx owner, this is my first FW update so go easy on my noob-ness...

Don't know how else to articulate, but is it possible for something to go wrong in a FW update? I don't have Axe Edit, so I used the non Axe-Edit method Cliff outlines. The update seemed to work just fine. I didn't encounter any issues with the actual update and powered the Axe off/on after the update finished.

However, my self-made patches sound funky now (extremely bass/flub-heavy, among other things), and the remaining factory presets (the v9 ones that I haven't touched) are all over the board as far as volume, EQ, etc. Output LED's are going nuts (red) and I nearly blew my ears out a couple times while browsing. I'm not looking forward to having to manually adjust every single factory patch.

Is it possible something has gone awry? If so, what should I do? I'm not a gigging musician, so I have a lot of freedom here to reset/start over, if necessary.

Last edited:
As a new Axe-Fx owner, this is my first FW update so go easy on my noob-ness...

Don't know how else to articulate, but is it possible for something to go wrong in a FW update? I don't have Axe Edit, so I used the non Axe-Edit method Cliff outlines. The update seemed to work just fine. I didn't encounter any issues with the actual update and powered the Axe off/on after the update finished.

However, my self-made patches sound funky now (extremely bass/flub-heavy, among other things), and the remaining factory presets (the v9 ones that I haven't touched) are all over the board as far as volume, EQ, etc. Output LED's are going nuts (red) and I nearly blew my ears out a couple times while browsing. I'm not looking forward to having to manually adjust every single factory patch.

Is it possible something has gone awry? If so, what should I do? I'm not a gigging musician, so I have a lot of freedom here to reset/start over, if necessary.

Scrap the V9 factory presets and download the V10 factory presets.

Roll through your self-made patches and reset the amp by selecting the amp block, changing the amp type to anything but what it is currently set to and then change it back.

Then tweak volume, eq, etc. as desired to your liking.

Some have had issues for various reasons, but I found it very simple to achieve Holy Shitballs Bliss.

Scrap the V9 factory presets and download the V10 factory presets.

Roll through your self-made patches and reset the amp by selecting the amp block, changing the amp type to anything but what it is currently set to and then change it back.

Then tweak volume, eq, etc. as desired to your liking.

Some have had issues for various reasons, but I found it very simple to achieve Holy Shitballs Bliss.

Excellent, thanks! I'll give those things a try tonight.

EDIT/UPDATE: Worked like a charm. Everything sounds amazing now!

Last edited:
v10 is unbelievable. At first it sounded a bit...not crunchy enough...to my ears. If that means anything to anyone. LOL So... I did a complete restore/reset on my AxeFXII and MFC101, just to be safe, and then tried it again. Whatever happened or whatever I had changed previously was gone, and the new presets sound AMAZING. I'm a noob guitarist, but even I can tell how sweet everything sounds. GREAT job Fractal! And FractalBot is a great idea as well. Bravo!

I updated from Axe edit. The Axe-FX was showing slow progress but Axe edit showed zero progress. I restarted both. Same story so I decided to follow the carrot and let it play out. The black box finished, ask me to reboot. It did indeed update to 10.0 but the Axe edit froze.

The new firmware sounds different but I like almost all the changes better. I did switch out a couple of different amps for my presets. I like the Twin for the very clean amp but still use the Deluxe for my broken up clean. I reverted back to the Plexi for my Marshall crunch. I'm still just digging into it but I can say I'm very pleased with 10.0.

Actually I would be leaving out a significant win if I didn't mention how awesome the new banks and patches are. It is so much rewarding to audition patches now. I know this was a lot of work but this player is grateful for the combined efforts of the beta team.

Thanks guys.

Last night was a plexi night for me! as a big boogie fan, i tried a change last night and boy it was fun! marshall plexi paired with rat sounded awesome!

I've been mainly a Marshall guy my whole life. The Plexis and JCM 800 in V10 are the BEST Marshalls that Fractal has released. All the nuances of those amps are there. Dial up the bright Plexi and it's Marshall heaven!

Back
Top Bottom