User Reviews of ATOMIC FRs

Re: User Reviews of ATOMIC FRs?

dk_ace said:
If a properly designed FRFR amplification device doesn't sound good it's generally due to: User error. There I said it, flame on.

I've heard terrible mixes in good rooms with good equipment. Why? The sound engineer didn't know what he was doing.

I'm not saying that those who aren't getting good sounds right now are incompetent, but if the Fratomic is properly designed you should be able to make it faithfully amplify whatever you put into it.

:lol:
Yes!!! ;)

Hmm ... all this confusion over properly designed presets could be eliminated if Fractal Audio would generate a set of Factory Presets that are Reactor Specific and make them available for download to replace the generic factory presets that we have now ... this would make for a far better starting point for Reactor owners than the current set of presets ... plus they would have been generated by experts who know both the Axe and the Reactor and how they interact with each other ... ( doesn't even have to be a full set to start off with ).

One of the pluses that I saw with getting a Reactor was that there would be a community of musicians using the same equipment ( Axe+Reactor ) which would make sharing presets much easier and interesting.

I think it is kind of erroneous thinking to assume that the Reactor FRs are plug n' play and will automatically sound great just because they were designed for the Axe-FX.

They haven't been out for a year so that means people are using different amplification/monitoring solutions and those people have adapted their presets to that specific solution.

You are introducing a new variable with the Reactor FRs. Simply plugging them in isn't going to make your presets sound the same or better.

IMO its up to the individual to critically listen to the differences they are hearing and make the appropriate adjustments whether that be the tweeter level or global changes in the Axe-FX EQ or preset level changes.

Related to this is that people have been living with their solutions for some degree of time so you have a perception of what your presets should sound like. You need to live with the Reactor FRs for a while to get some objectivity. Case in point... I used to have a G-System with a SansAmp PSA1 in the loop. I used to love playing through that. When I got the Axe-FX I didn't immediately like what I heard but I can to realize that my presets with the G-System/PSA1 had way to much gain in them. At that point I had a choice to make and I went with the Axe-FX. Since then I have been using the Axe-FX with the QSC. Now I have the Reactor FRs. My initial impression was that the Reactor FRs were too bright. But after continuing to play I realize that what I once thought was perfect, the QSCs, were darker than what I actually like. After coming to that realization I think my "perfect" sound is going to be with the Reactor FR EQ in a way that take some brightness away but still more than what I had with the QSCs.

I just think sometime we get used to hearing something a particular way and think "this is it." We get caught up in that. Its easy to do that but you risk dismissing the "new" just because it is different. Give yourself some time to live with the "new." In the end I think you'll be able to make a more objective decision.

That's my 2 cents. Keep the change.

quark said:
Hmm ... all this confusion over properly designed presets could be eliminated if Fractal Audio would generate a set of Factory Presets that are Reactor Specific and make them available for download to replace the generic factory presets that we have now ... this would make for a far better starting point for Reactor owners than the current set of presets ... plus they would have been generated by experts who know both the Axe and the Reactor and how they interact with each other ... ( doesn't even have to be a full set to start off with ).

One of the pluses that I saw with getting a Reactor was that there would be a community of musicians using the same equipment ( Axe+Reactor ) which would make sharing presets much easier and interesting.

I don't agree. Not everybody will use the Reactor FR. There are plenty of solutions available and Fractal can't build presets for all of them.

Presets are the responsibility of the individual to build/tailor to their own situation.

And even if Fractal did do a set or presets you are ignoring the fact that we all have are own ears that shape what we hear and we all like different things. Nobody would be happy.

Presets are the responsibility of the individual.

quark said:

What you are suggesting would never work the way you think because you can't eliminate some of the biggest variables: the player's style, picks, strings, guitar, and most importantly each person's ears and preferences. Those are the reasons that sharing presets doesn't work as many think it will.

All that the Fratomic should do is faithfully reproduce what you put into it. That's what reference monitors strive to do, which is what the factory presets were created on. The reality is that Axe users will never amplify the same way or even use the Axe-FX in the same way. That would be about as likely as the entire guitar community just deciding to play identical strats with the same setup, picks, and strings. It just won't happen. The presets are just for ideas and examples.

Cliff could make a preset that he loves on the Fratomic. He could send it to me to use with my Fratomic (if I had one), and even though we're using the same amplification I still might hate the preset.

D

The guitar type, pickup type, etc. has a substantial effect when using the Axe-FX. I can hear differences in two types of humbucking pickups I was never able to hear before.
The Atomic FR monitors are not designed to add anything to the tone - while they are probably not completely flat there should not be a substantial difference with these versus other quality monitors.
There are not universal settings on amps, which have very simple controls when compared to the possibilities present in the Axe-FX, and I don't believe it would ever be possible to create a group of presets that everyone liked. I think the presets are good to show you the possibilities that can be created. Personally, I have never downloaded a preset where the creator had posted a clip that I thought sounded as good without tweaking when I played it.
This is where the uniqueness of the Axe comes in - everyone sounds a bit different through it.
All IMO, of course.

Kevin

(echoing what was said above, posted while I was typing)

I don't agree. Not everybody will use the Reactor FR. There are plenty of solutions available and Fractal can't build presets for all of them.

Presets are the responsibility of the individual to build/tailor to their own situation.

Agreed that not everyone will be using the Reactors and that ultimately presets are the responsibility of and should reflect the musical tastes of each person. And yes there are many solutions out there and Fractal can't generate presets for all of them but there's no denying that there is a unique relationship between the Reactor and the Axe that no other combination has and Fractal could demonstrate the power of that combination by making a set of presets available that highlight the pluses of that combination.

I mean they currently provide a set of generic presets that have been developed with some unknown amp/cab combination ... why not provide a set that has been developed based on their own product line i.e. the Axe+Reactor combination.

But I guess ultimately that's their call ... just a thought ...

In reading back over the last few pages of this thread, it seems like most people who don't like the Atomics have just plugged in and tried their old presets. They are used to the why their presets sounded before, and now they sound "different."
Of course, there is going to need to be some tweaking. I don't think you can compare the exact same preset through two different monitor systems and say you like one sound better than the other, therefore that is the best monitor for your needs.
I am going to have to spend a lot of time with these before I get a real handle around them. My initial impression is I am really digging the sounds I am getting.

Kevin

quark said:

Agreed that not everyone will be using the Reactors and that ultimately presets are the responsibility of and should reflect the musical tastes of each person. And yes there are many solutions out there and Fractal can't generate presets for all of them but there's no denying that there is a unique relationship between the Reactor and the Axe that no other combination has and Fractal could demonstrate the power of that combination by making a set of presets available that highlight the pluses of that combination.

I mean they currently provide a set of generic presets that have been developed with some unknown amp/cab combination ... why not provide a set that has been developed based on their own product line i.e. the Axe+Reactor combination.

But I guess ultimately that's their call ... just a thought ...

What part of this are you missing? The Atomic is a FRFR device. It isn't a special amb/cab. The factory presets were created on reference monitors. That is a FRFR system as well, not an amp/cab rig.

The unique thing about the Atomic is that it doesn't use DSP to achieve it's response and that it looks more like a traditional guitar cab. That's it. Other than that it's an active FRFR box. The power section is tube, but not at all like a tube guitar amp power section.

The bottom line is that it attempts to have NO sound. That is the same goal of every other FRFR device. It's what Cliff's reference monitors try to do, it's what mine try to do, it's what the FBT monitors try to do, and what the QSCs try to do as well as every other FRFR box. The degree to which they achieve it varies. The other issue is that the room you use them in has a sound. The exact same rig can sound quite different from one room to the next.

Presets created in as flat an environment as possible are the best anyone can hope for. They'll never translate with all players and all guitars in all rooms. What they are now is about as good as they could ever be.

D

KG MD said:
In reading back over the last few pages of this thread, it seems like most people who don't like the Atomics have just plugged in and tried their old presets.
Not me. Since I was previously going the amp+cab route and not using the cab sims I was resigned to the fact that I was going to have to do some hard tweaking. However, quite why it's SOOO hard to get a balanced sound that I'm happy with, I don't know.

mworkman said:
quark said:

Sure. But Fractal could have at least included a few presets that make the FRFR shine. I mean as long as this thing was delayed, I would have expected they'd have time to break out the audio analyzers, etc. to replicate the sounds of a few basic amps (e.g. JCM800, Bogner, Boogie Mark IV). I don't expect them to buy one of every amp/cab combo out there and produce presets for them all. But they seem to have a few amps laying around, why not model them and include the presets so that the FRFR guys can at least enjoy a better out-of-the-box experience? Even 3 or 4 of the most basic amp/cab combos would go a long way.

So sure, presets are the "responsibility" of the individual, but I for one are disappointed that there isn't a single preset that I can immediately fire up to feel good about my purchase without spending hours tweaking new presets from scratch.

So sure, presets are the "responsibility" of the individual, but I for one are disappointed that there isn't a single preset that I can immediately fire up to feel good about my purchase without spending hours tweaking new presets from scratch.

And what would that preset be? What if Cliff made one preset tailored to a humbucker based guitar and maybe you are a Strat tone type of guy. Or vice versa.

No single preset or even of set of presets is going to make everybody happy.

IMO, it would be a waste of time to go through that exercise because of all the variables out there - ears (individual tastes), pickups, strings, picks, hands, amps/monitors, etc.

What you (and I and all of us) have spent a lot of money on is a box with a tremendous amount of capability. Its on us to get what we want out of it. That includes how we build presets and how we amplify and monitor those presets.

hdtv4me said:
mworkman said:
quark said:

Sure. But Fractal could have at least included a few presets that make the FRFR shine. I mean as long as this thing was delayed, I would have expected they'd have time to break out the audio analyzers, etc. to replicate the sounds of a few basic amps (e.g. JCM800, Bogner, Boogie Mark IV). I don't expect them to buy one of every amp/cab combo out there and produce presets for them all. But they seem to have a few amps laying around, why not model them and include the presets so that the FRFR guys can at least enjoy a better out-of-the-box experience? Even 3 or 4 of the most basic amp/cab combos would go a long way.

All the presets were created with, and are for use with FRFR equipment. Whether or not they "shine" in your eyes is extremely subjective. They probably "shine" in the hands of their creator with his guitar, but that's all you can really be assured of. They may not sound good at all with your guitars, hands, and playing style.

There are hundreds of patches created for you to fire up with the FRFR gear of your choice (be it QSC, FBT, Atomic, etc). Whether or not you'll like any of them is different altogether.

You'll probably find, like the rest of us, that you ultimately prefer to just make your own and use the presets for ideas and reference.

D

Stringtheorist said:
KG MD said:
In reading back over the last few pages of this thread, it seems like most people who don't like the Atomics have just plugged in and tried their old presets.
Not me. Since I was previously going the amp+cab route and not using the cab sims I was resigned to the fact that I was going to have to do some hard tweaking. However, quite why it's SOOO hard to get a balanced sound that I'm happy with, I don't know.

Probably an overgeneralization on my part. All my statements, of course, are opinions only.

KG

Man, I know I have some serious tweaking to do - but I have been playing with my FR Atomics the whole day with my guitar arsenal, solid body, acoustic and jazz guitar and these babies sound great without the tweaking! For my purposes, they are loud enough - man, they can get really loud!
I think this combination rocks!

Ok, where's the MFC?

For the record, I haven't said the FR sounds bad with the Axe. It just sounds like it is missing some of the upper frequencies. My main concern is with pre-recorded music and vocals. If it was a properly designed box as one person said, I would think that vocals and pre-recorded music (vs the axe) should eliminate a lot of the user error if it is run direct into a mixer to the Fr.

I am just wondering if mine is missing some top end compared to other users.

Ringleader said:
For the record, I haven't said the FR sounds bad with the Axe. It just sounds like it is missing some of the upper frequencies. My main concern is with pre-recorded music and vocals. If it was a properly designed box as one person said, I would think that vocals and pre-recorded music (vs the axe) should eliminate a lot of the user error if it is run direct into a mixer to the Fr.

The most basic way to test a FRFR box is to play music you know very well (basically meaning extensive listening on a variety of systems) through it and see if it sounds as it should. If it doesn't, there may be a problem with either the systems you're used to or the one you're testing speaking very generally.

D

Ringleader said:

To continue the discussion... the pre-recorded music is "missing" upper frequencies compared to... ?

You may want to check the travel of the tweeter pot to see if Noon is really Noon. I have an issue with the volume pot on one of my two FRs where the travel ends at 4 o'clock on one representing max volume and the other has to be at 6 o'clock to represent max as if the pot was installed in a different orientation. So far my case is the only one I have heard about. I wonder if the same thing could happen to the tweeter pot and if you did as the manual suggest... tweeter at Noon for flat high-end response... and you had that pot issue I described could that be the cause of the missing frequencies.

And again it would be helpful to know what you are comparing to.

hdtv4me said:
mworkman said:
quark said:

Well having unpacked my standard when it arrived, I ran it up and could not find a selection
of preset patches that I could gig' right away, my needs are quite simple, a good clean tone with sparkle, a couple of good country patches lead/rythm and a some driving rock-lead sounds.These were fine but the others not so :( it sat in the test rack for a week before I got to were I was able to use it live .

dk_ace said:
You'll probably find, like the rest of us, that you ultimately prefer to just make your own and use the presets for ideas and reference.

D

Interesting. So in making my own, should I go out and buy all of the different amp/cabs and match up the Axe-Fx/FRFR combo on my own then? In essence, it seems that is what you are suggesting.

I thought the whole point of modeling is so that I can reasonably recreate the sound of various amp/cabs. Or is the Axe-FX/FRFR only designed for the pro who wants replace their old amp/cab combos (only after building their own presets of course....since everybody's ears, guitars, rooms, etc. differ)?

Back
Top Bottom