USB cable maximum length?

KenH

Inspired
What is the maximum USB length recommended for using the AxeFX as audio interface with computer? Any recommended brands?

Thanks,
Ken

According to the USB standard, the longest cable length run for high-speed USB 2.0 is 5 metres or 16.4 feet. I cannot speak for the AXE III (yet) but I run full length on my Helix with no issues to date. I did purchase premium quality cables.

There is also active USB cables with runs much longer runs, but I have not tested any of those.

Last edited:
I asked this same question a few months ago here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/anyone-using-a-15ft-4-6m-usb-2-0-cable-that-works.163050/

I bought "Cable Matters 3-Pack Long USB 2.0 A to B USB Printer Cable - 15 ft" for $14.99 from Amazon. Search Amazon for B00UNZ9QI4

Also, if you have issues with long USB cables, make sure you're actually plugging into a USB 2 port on your computer and not USB 3 bc USB 3 can only be a max length of 9.8 Feet = 3 Meters. Most USB 3 ports are colored blue but my old PC's front USB ports were black and one was USB 2 and the other USB 3.0. Once I figured that out, I made sure to plug into the USB 2 port and haven't had issues since and I've used those 15ft USB 2 cables with my Axe-Fx II, Axe-Fx III, Helix Floor, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 1st gen and Pyle PTED01 Drum Pads.

Not sure if it makes a difference but my 2 desktop PC's have Windows 10 64bit and use the ASRock motherboard's integrated Intel chipset for USB 2 and 3 and not a 3rd party controller chipset.

I'm currently running 15' with mine using a cheap Hosa cable. I use it with Edit with no issues. I haven't tried it with the Axe III USB audio yet.

I also have my Focusrite audio interface and an 8x8 MIDI port on 15' USB cables with no issues.

Back
Top Bottom