Urgent Help Needed: Mysterious Electrical Noise When Guitar Sound Fades Out – AX8 Setup

kamopeter

Hello,
This might be a silly question, but I'm fairly new to recording guitars through an AX8.
My question and problem is that when I record guitar and the sound starts to fade out (decay), I hear some sort of electrical noise relatively quietly alongside the guitar sound. This happens with both high gain presets and clean tones. I've tried using noise gates, which catch the basic noise but don't eliminate this phenomenon. I've tried going out from XLR into the sound card's line input, tried from the unbalanced output, tried the unbalanced output and a separate DI box, even tried the unbalanced output --> DI box --> microphone input combo. In every case, that little noise remains when the sound fades out.
There are some presets where this is less or almost not present at all (USA IIC++), and there is for example a preset with a Tweed Deluxe that's just a bit crunchy, where it's very prominent.
So, the essence is that this noise appears dominantly when the guitar sound fades out.
I set the main output volume slightly higher than the midpoint and try to aim for around -6dB on the sound card.
My setup: Fender Stratocaster --> AX8 --> Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 4th gen --> Logic Pro X
Please help!
Thank you,
Peter

turn off the Noise gate in the Input block by setting the Threshold completely counter clockwise.

have your guitar plugged in and turned up and hold it without muting the strings.

is that same noise there constantly now?

if so, that's the noise floor and you'll have to clean that up somehow outside of the AX8.

noise gates do not eliminate noise. they mute the signal at a certain threshold so no sound comes through. the noise is still present while you play guitar, you just can't hear it because the guitar is louder.

as a note fades, it is quieter, and the noise can start to be heard. then the gate kicks in and mutes the input.

Thanks for your replies. I try to record something today, where you can here this noise.
And I also try to change cables, if it's solve this issue.
Thanks again!

Unfortunatly I can't upload file, but I think I figured out, that this noise is from my start single coil pickup.
Maybe there is an interference between my Mac mini and my guitar?

single coils will pick up interference from computers and monitors. it's a common problem. google it and you'll see!

Back
Top Bottom