This is one of the most elusive tone -especially if you've actually played through a real EVH 5150 III 1/2 stack. Yes I know that's not what he used for the record but the clarity with power in the riffage so to speak in that amp has always been the benchmark tone to try for in the Axe

Currently the FAS brown amp does it for me with a custom IR from Freman. I will try your pre set when home,...thanks for sharing!!

I am always trying to get that tone: To me it's a mix of clarity having the right amount of gain with a punch you in the chest feel that is the hardest part to get while keeping the flub to a minimal.

The only sniffy thing I would have to say is the Flanger sounded a little strange
The flanger is a tough cookie because you have to get the timing perfect. I can't tell you how many times I had to start the intro over because the flanger was in the wrong part of the cycle when I was recording. Ugh!

This patch is so nice + I was able to use some of your settings in my main patch which drastically improved it. Thanks a lot
Awesome! See the new patch below...

This is one of the most elusive tone -especially if you've actually played through a real EVH 5150 III 1/2 stack. Yes I know that's not what he used for the record but the clarity with power in the riffage so to speak in that amp has always been the benchmark tone to try for in the Axe.
Yeah those amps are awesome. It's like the best growl of a Marshall and the smooth thump of a Boogie combined.

Currently the FAS brown amp does it for me with a custom IR from Freman.
I was determined to the use the Brit Brown. I mean, if you can't do EVH with that amp, we're lost. ;)

I am always trying to get that tone: To me it's a mix of clarity having the right amount of gain with a punch you in the chest feel that is the hardest part to get while keeping the flub to a minimal.

The song version in DropBox right now is much better than the one on SoundCloud and has the latest patch. I redid the rhythm guitars with the new patch. When you listen really critically to the low end on the intro, there is a ton of low end body in there, but it's not tight at all -- EVH is pushing the amp/speakers SO HARD they're about to die!! I was originally trying to get this by overloading the preamp with low end, but realized backing off on the low end keeps it chunky, and then introducing the Speaker Drive really creates that breakup.

The guitar makes a huge difference too. With my swamp ash tele w/JB, the distortion character is really open and growly. I have a jabon SUB AX4 w/Custom Custom and it sounds completely different. The distortion character is silky smooth and a bit brighter, and you have to trim it down to get closer to the ash/JB combo.

Here's the latest version:
Unchained (full song)

Final patch is attached.

Attachments

• EVH - Fair Warning (final).syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 15
Once again I put it on and forgot it wasn't EVH including the solo! If anything I'd say the final mix guitar should be a touch louder and brighter like in your first clip. Great job!

Once again I put it on and forgot it wasn't EVH including the solo! If anything I'd say the final mix guitar should be a touch louder and brighter like in your first clip. Great job!

I agree on all counts. Sounded like EVH to me! And I would also raise the guitar up in the mix just a tad. And Great job! Thanks for the presets!

@benvigil psyched to her the pre set tonight! I agree the guitars are important I have 2 USA Wolfies and a Suhr with a Frankenstein pup in the bridge!
Love the wood combo in the Wolgangs. I have 1 with a Floyd and the HT in the other- the one with the Floyd actually sounds fatter in a very noticeable way believe or not.

Sounds so good, could you try to make a patch for Trey from Phish? I think his tone is amazing.
Totally not in my wheelhouse. Have seen these two videos?
Code:
https://youtu.be/nG-jXPQe1ak
(there's a part 2 also)

Last edited:
The flanger is a tough cookie because you have to get the timing perfect. I can't tell you how many times I had to start the intro over because the flanger was in the wrong part of the cycle when I was recording. Ugh!

The Axe FX has a way to time this or may be start and stop the sweep through the cycle I'm not sure if the AX8 has this feature.

Actually my comment was directed more at the timber of the flanger through the sweep it sounds little edgy in the upper end of the cycle. I messed with the flanger settings your preset! For giggles load it up next to yours and see if you can hear what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• EVH - Fair Warning.syx
    23.3 KB · Views: 6
Actually my comment was directed more at the timber of the flanger through the sweep it sounds little edgy in the upper end of the cycle. I messed with the flanger settings your preset! For giggles load it up next to yours and see if you can hear what I'm talking about.
I took a listen. First, the cab I'm using is much, MUCH brighter than the ownhammer you loaded up (which I also have).

Flanger... the one in your preset sounds like the phaser in the beginning of Atomic Punk: a slow mild sweep. Whereas the flanger EVH uses is much stronger, super "sweepy". You can hear it at 0:50 just before the first verse starts in Mean Street or the opening seconds of And The Cradle Will Rock. EVH only punches it in for a few seconds here and there and it's super obvious.

Last edited:
The Axe FX has a way to time this or may be start and stop the sweep through the cycle I'm not sure if the AX8 has this feature.
You can set the rate to the tempo, and maybe it starts over when you set the tempo? But other than that I don't see a way to start the sweep over.

I went to the original track and can hear what you are talking about! If you listen to the way your flanger is set you can tell something is still not quite there not sure how to describe it... maybe it's the difference in the mix on the original track vers your demo but there is something a little different. On the cab I just ran what I normally use as a default, the preset you posted didn't have a cab when I downloaded it. I also changed the flanger to the Analog mono as well!

Sorry not trying micro analyze your preset it's just that you did such a great job of coping the guitar tone thought it would be cool to tweak the flanger the rest of the way there ;).

Back
Top Bottom