benvigil

Experienced
Finally decided to record/post the obligatory... Unchained (excerpt)

I tried posting the full version but Sound Cloud content protection removed it. Here's an MP3 on DropBox, full song, remixed:
Unchained (full song)

Just a quick demo excerpt using the "Brit Brown" amp in the Fractal Audio Systems AX8 paired with the new Celestion Plus G12M Greenback 4x12C IR. The flanger stabs were done in real time on the AX8. It's still a little too tight in the low end, but eh...

The guitar is a custom "modern" Swamp Ash Tele with a Seymour Duncan JB (circa 1985 "JBJ") in the bridge (and the bridge is all that matters for Van Halen, right?).

Compression/Reverb/EQ (slight boosts to sit in the mix) were added in Studio One 3.

Feedback?

Last edited:
Finally decided to record/post the obligatory... Unchained (excerpt)

Just a quick demo excerpt using the "Brit Brown" amp in the Fractal Audio Systems AX8 paired with the new Celestion Plus G12M Greenback 4x12C IR. The flanger stabs were done in real time on the AX8. It's still a little too tight in the low end, but eh...

The guitar is a custom "modern" Swamp Ash Tele with a Seymour Duncan JB (circa 1985 "JBJ") in the bridge (and the bridge is all that matters for Van Halen, right?).

Compression/Reverb/EQ (slight boosts to sit in the mix) were added in Studio One 3.

Feedback?

Sounds great too me
Those Celestion IRs are really
Nice too IMO

Sounds great too me
Those Celestion IRs are really
Nice too IMO
I agree. For this use they were perfect. The only thing I did in the cab was add 1.76 Proximity, Low Cut at 88Hz and High Cut at 10.5k, though the proximity is the only one that affected the sound much.

Hmmmm, I'll have to give those IRs a try again. I tried a couple and found them a bit lacking in bass.

Hmmmm, I'll have to give those IRs a try again. I tried a couple and found them a bit lacking in bass.
Oh, I definitely agree that they are bass shy... compared to the Ownhammers and stock IRs. I'm running that amp Bass straight up at 5 and the bumping 125Hz in the amp GEQ by 2.64.

Love the celestion IRs. But yeah they do lack a bit of bass. I find and nice hicut while leaving lowcut at it default of 20hz and using the proximity to dial in some lows, is the ticket!

The Celestion IRs are a touch harsh in some mid freqs for my tastes with my usual dialing approach/settings but TBH, I do appreciate their not being overloaded w/ Bass. Overall, I was satisfied/impressed enough to buy at least one of each and they are really nice either as a main IR or mixed with CL3.

There are so many overly dark IRs out there. I find myself constantly adjusting bass low on most amp models with standard IR fare. I find almost all the stock FAS IRs dark.

I started listening and forgot I was listening to a cover and got confused when the song cut out. So I'd say that's a great job!

I started listening and forgot I was listening to a cover and got confused when the song cut out. So I'd say that's a great job!
I updated the first post with a link to the full song with new guitar parts and a remix. It sounds a lot better than the SoundCloud version.

It's obvious I'm no Eddie Van Halen when you hear the solo tho... o_O

patch please?
Here's the AX8 patch...

The amp settings are VERY simple:
MV on 10
Drive on 5
Tone Stack dialed in
Mild GEQ
PA Hardness: 0
Variac: 76%

If you want a more flubby low end breakup (like the recording), dial down the Bass in the tone stack, and bring the Speaker Drive up to 0.50 or so. Speaker Drive was the missing piece for me.

If you have a high output pickup, bring down the input trim.

Attachments

• EVH - Fair Warning.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
I thought it sounded great ! The only sniffy thing I would have to say is the Flanger sounded a little strange o_O but that tone sounded spot on through my computer speakers, great job man! ;).

Here's the AX8 patch...

The amp settings are VERY simple:
MV on 10
Drive on 5
Tone Stack dialed in
Mild GEQ
PA Hardness: 0
Variac: 76%

If you want a more flubby low end breakup (like the recording), dial down the Bass in the tone stack, and bring the Speaker Drive up to 0.50 or so. Speaker Drive was the missing piece for me.

If you have a high output pickup, bring down the input trim.
Sounds so good, could you try to make a patch for Trey from Phish? I think his tone is amazing.

This patch is so nice + I was able to use some of your settings in my main patch which drastically improved it. Thanks a lot

Back
Top Bottom