UltraRes vs NormalRes

Which one UltraRes?

• 0:00-0:17 is UltraRes

Votes: 114 69.1%
  • 0:18-0:36 is UltraRes

Votes: 51 30.9%

• Total voters
the differences between the two are so subtle that it's almost non-existent.maybe i hear a touch more bass in the 1st clip,only because i'm listening for it.so close,might just be psycho acoustical phenom.:)

i vote neither,both the same.

in a mix or live with a band,nobody would know the difference.not even other AXE FX players.

Last edited:
ultimately I would not kick either out of bed...sorry ....mix.

both sound great.

I think 1 is UltraRes.

but it is kinda confusing as the riff builds and becomes thicker just before it changes ... lulling you in to a false sense.

Last edited:
I'm fairly certain #1 is UltraRes. It's bigger, more dynamic. (You can see the differences, too.) I do wonder, though, which one would actually sound better in a mix with bass, drums, vocals, etc? (I'm sure you could EQ the first one to sound like the second, but not necessarily the other way around.)

I think your going to get another sig quote out of this thread!

I went back and forth on this, and was second guessing myself. Ultimately the hi end stuck out less on the first one, I didn't like it on the second as much. Interesting thing is you're so good at creating sounds that it really comes down to what we like better, the technology plays way less of a part. Me on the other hand, I have a hard time getting anything to sound good! I'd like to see more of these comparisons though.

One thing I'm noticing on Ultrares vs. hires is it sounds like the room parameter is turned up. I'm not very familiar with tweaking the cabs so maybe I'm wrong. Can someone straighten me out on this??

Take another listen to the muting part and the low end. UltraRes is the second clip. While I'm posting this result almost 80% guessed wrong
I should have guessed with my ears, not my eyes, I admit I looked at the waveforms and saw the bigger spikes, so... lol.

So this raises questions. Don't shoot the messenger. :)

Although there is a difference is it worth the hype?
Really, the original file which were converted to an ultrares IR is not long enough for these kind of blind test, it's just 28 ms against 21 ms... So even if there's a difference it is too subtle to matter, it would get completely lost in a mix/live playing situation. Out of curiosity I also tested those two GuitarHack IRs myself and it's so subtle it doesn't matter. I'm waiting for much longer IRs which would really uses ultra res to its full capacity. On some of the provided ultrares Ownhammer there is a bigger difference (not in all of them ; I couldn't really hear a difference on the Fane one with a clean amp)

Using the Axe as a sound card on a pretty decent monitors had to listen for ages to find a difference.
Although I did get it right it (I honestly did :)) kinda bums me when someone can hear a difference on an Ipad or something like that and I have to struggle forever to notice something.

The low end seems a little fuller. Pretty sure you could tweak the normal res clip to sound exactly like the ultra res one.

You used the same IR on both clips right and just changed it from Normal Res to UltraRes in the cab block right? It does sound like the 2nd one is UltraRes. It is clearer if that makes sense.

:) maybe its time to stop for asking more, just bug fixes and be done with fw13.
We have allready all in the box to get any tone we want...than we all can just focus on playing, writing music and creating guitar tones
instead of update chasing and amp replicating...all is already possible with this box, isnt it?

note: i will keep updating anyway :)

Take another listen to the muting part and the low end. UltraRes is the second clip. While I'm posting this result almost 80% guessed wrong.

I can't believe, what i'm reading... and hearing! If there is one thing i can't trust, it seems to be my ears.

Great blindtest!

I hear in the second part definitely more breathing. And it´s more well defind. So I think the second part is ultra res.

But you really need good monitors to hear that. I have Neumann KH120 here..

Take another listen to the muting part and the low end. UltraRes is the second clip. While I'm posting this result almost 80% guessed wrong.

people just don't know what to listen for yet. actually, your clip prooved exactly what we heard during beta phase...

But that's the thing. We shouldn't need to learn what to listen to since we all have that "tone in our head" that we want. Is that UltraRes tight low end a good thing? 80% didn't think so based on this comparison.

It's always a bit weird when we get an "update" since it's really hard to show proof that it's actually better somehow. Yes I do feel like the UltraRes is better but how can I really prove it? Is it all in my head? If someone put me to a blind test would I even hear/feel the difference?

Another thing people might not realize here is that this was not UltraRes vs HighRes. This was UltraRes vs LowRes/NormalRes. (Correct me if I'm wrong but that's how I understood "NormalRes".) So there really should be a big difference there. I think I feel it. I think the UltraRes is a bit faster... but then again I know when I'm playing with UltraRes because I'm turning it on so it could be all psychological.

Also now I know what to listen for. It's the low end tightness. But does it make me sound better? F.ex. I feel that some amps like the Mark IV f.ex. is already tighter than the real life counterpart (I use more gain and trim to make it looser) so would I want it to be even tighter? Not sure... and in a mix that low end is buried with bass, snare and kick competing for that 125hz-500hz range.

Whatever this UltraRes thing is it's welcome and I probably will be using it since it's scientifically more accurate. Knowing this forum we will get at least two dozen threads about how amazing the UltraRes is compared to what the Axe-Fx was before and how "the Axe-Fx is finally getting me the tones that I want jadda jadda jadda". That's fine and I hope that it is the case to as many people as possible. I was able to get amazing tones before UltraRes and I'll be able to do so after it. :)

Back
Top Bottom