ULTRA FIRMWARE 11.0 MAY 9 2011

Re: ULTRA FIRMWARE 7.18 & PRESETS UPDATED

You don't have to be on a certain preset or press anything on the Axe-FX to load banks. Sending the sysex data is all that's required. As soon as one bank is received the tempo button resumes blinking and you can send the next bank.

Bakerman said:
You don't have to be on a certain preset or press anything on the Axe-FX to load banks. Sending the sysex data is all that's required. As soon as one bank is received the tempo button resumes blinking and you can send the next bank.

You may not need to press store/enter/enter after each bank but you do have to press store/enter/enter after you finish sending all the thing you are sending before you can rotate the knob or it just disregards what you sent.

In another thread someone told me that that's not true but unless my unit works differently from other units I definitely know that I need to press store/enter/enter after sending a bank or it doesn't do anything. I don't have to press store/enter/enter for the firmware to work. Plus, I don't have to press store/enter/enter to hear a new patch I just loaded but I do have to press store/enter/enter to keep the patch I just loaded or that number will default back to what it was if I shut the unit off (which I believe is normal).

On my Ultra, I *don't* have to press Store, Enter, Enter when uploading banks.

Chad said:
On my Ultra, I *don't* have to press Store, Enter, Enter when uploading banks.

Weird. I can't see there being a difference in units, though I just got mine recently and it had firmware 7.16 loaded into it already so who knows.

Store, enter, enter is for saving a single preset (in its current location if you don't wheel to another). You need to do that if you edit or transmit a single preset and want to store it. It has no function related to storing an entire bank, which happens automatically when you send the data.

what settings do you suggest for amp block ac30 and 2x12 british cabinet block with the new firmware?

Wow.....I'm speechless...best version yet Cliff...I really like the Air param ( I was on 7.12 ) and LOVE the new Passive presence. This really nails it for me...on my 1 year Axe Fx anniversary....thank you.

-Mike

P.S. my wife recently asked me why I haven't bought and sold any amps this year...

Ok, now refresh my memory...how the heck do I install this update? I'm running Windows Vista 32-bit version. It doesn't look like Midi-Ox supports Vista. I would be very upset if I lost any presets doing this incorrectly. Will the old editor be able to save my presets if I currently have Ultra v7.12?

SendSX works on Vista. Never heard of Midi-OX not working on Vista, but then again I'm not using it anyway. SendSX is much simpler.

Turn down the volume on your Axe's amplification, it will reboot at the end using some fun noises. Loud.

Backup first: connect the Axe, fire up SendSX (or Midi-OX sysex window), press utility on the Axe's front panel, page right. choose which bank to send an press enter. When the in-window is done filling up save it to file.
Then clear the out (left) window and open the firmware file. Press Utility again and page to the end, press enter and press send on SendSX.
Go for coffee.

I've never lost any preset on updating yet.

I'm running Windows 7 RC1 (64 bit) and the official Axe editor is working great for me for updating the firmware.

Re: ULTRA FIRMWARE 8.01 8/5/09

8.01 Ultra up!
http://www.fractalaudio.com/Documents/V ... ra8_01.zip

NOTE: This firmware release does not support presets created with firmware prior to Version 6.10. If you are upgrading from 6.09 or earlier upgrade to 7.18 first and run the “Update All Presets” function in the utility menu to convert your presets to the latest protocol.

Fixed bug in sending presets to edit buffer.

Fixed pitch detector locking on false octave at C#6.

Added “MIDI PC OFFSET” to I/O menu. This parameter adds a fixed offset to all incoming MIDI Program Change messages. For example, setting this to 10 would recall preset 13 when receving a MIDI PC value of 3. This parameter is irrelavent if mapping is on. NOTE: THIS VALUE MAY NOT BE ZERO AFTER UPDATING THE FIRMWARE. TO ENSURE PROPER PRESET RECALL BE SURE TO CHECK THIS VALUE.

Added HICUT FREQ parameter to Chorus and Flanger blocks. This parameter, in the Advanced menu, allows you to control the corner frequency of a lowpass filter on the wet signal. This can be used to replicate the limited frequency response of analog chorus/flanger units.

Changed taper of input and output volume controls to standard “15A” audio taper.

Volume block now has four tapers: Linear and three log tapers. The number in the log taper represents the percentage at midpoint, i.e. 15A is 15% when the control is at noon. “Log 30A” is the same as LogA before and “Log 10A” is the same as LogB before.

Added selectable Delay and/or Reverb spillover. You can now select whether Delay or Reverb or both spill over on patch change.

Added 3-band EQ to Drive block with semi-parametric Midrange control. This can be used to fine-tune the Drive tones.

Reworked Drive models. The Drive models are now very accurate in terms of gain, frequency response and output level. Most of the models were completely reworked and may sound different. You should audition any presets using the Drive block and adjust as necessary. Note that the Drive control in the Drive block has a range of 40 dB irrespective of the model. Many actual drive pedals have less range than this so there isn’t necessarily a one-to-one correspondence to the knob position on the model and the knob position on the actual pedal. Furthermore, the models all have a log taper for the Drive and Level controls. Some pedals have linear pots for one or both of these controls. For example, the Boss SD-1 has 30 dB of range for the drive and a linear output pot.

Increased gain of Treble Boost Drive model by 10. The original Dallas Rangemaster, on which this model is based, had no Drive control, only an Output level control. Set the Drive control to 5.0 to replicate the original (previously the Drive had to be set to 10 to replicate the original).

Added “4558/DIODE” clip type to Drive block. This clipping type models diodes in the feedback path of a JRC4558 op-amp. The JRC4558 is a really lousy op-amp that produces a lot of distortion even when operated in its linear region. This new clip type reproduces that distortion as well as the clipping of the diodes.

Added “Bender Fuzz” Drive model. Based on a 1967 Vox Tonebender.

Changed Clip Type of Super OD model to “4558/DIODE” type (see above).

i haven't read all the way through but did the 8.01 get taken down as well? It's saying not found now.

There appears to still be a problem downloading. Not Found

The requested URL http:// was not found on this server.

dan7 said:

The update has been pulled.

javajunkie said:
dan7 said:

The update has been pulled.

Yeah, but I really wanted it - :D

~ J

Re: ULTRA FIRMWARE 8.02 Updated Presets 8/5/09

8.02 Ultra up!
http://www.fractalaudio.com/Documents/V ... ra8_02.zip

New factory presets as well:

http://www.fractalaudio.com/Documents/V ... _BankA.syx
http://www.fractalaudio.com/Documents/V ... _BankB.syx
http://www.fractalaudio.com/Documents/V ... _BankC.syx

Added back support for presets created before 6.10.

Increased Gate Threshold to –100 dB.

Added HICUT FREQ parameter to QuadChorus block. This parameter, in the Advanced menu, allows you to control the corner frequency of a lowpass filter on the wet signal. This can be used to replicate the limited frequency response of analog chorus/flanger units.

Fixed clicking in Pitch block when modifier connected to Master Pitch.

NOTE: This firmware release does not support presets created with firmware prior to Version 6.10. If you are upgrading from 6.09 or earlier upgrade to 7.18 first and run the “Update All Presets” function in the utility menu to convert your presets to the latest protocol.

Fixed bug in sending presets to edit buffer.

Fixed pitch detector locking on false octave at C#6.

Added “MIDI PC OFFSET” to I/O menu. This parameter adds a fixed offset to all incoming MIDI Program Change messages. For example, setting this to 10 would recall preset 13 when receving a MIDI PC value of 3. This parameter is irrelavent if mapping is on. NOTE: THIS VALUE MAY NOT BE ZERO AFTER UPDATING THE FIRMWARE. TO ENSURE PROPER PRESET RECALL BE SURE TO CHECK THIS VALUE.

Added HICUT FREQ parameter to Chorus and Flanger blocks. This parameter, in the Advanced menu, allows you to control the corner frequency of a lowpass filter on the wet signal. This can be used to replicate the limited frequency response of analog chorus/flanger units.

Changed taper of input and output volume controls to standard “15A” audio taper.

Volume block now has four tapers: Linear and three log tapers. The number in the log taper represents the percentage at midpoint, i.e. 15A is 15% when the control is at noon. “Log 30A” is the same as LogA before and “Log 10A” is the same as LogB before.

Added selectable Delay and/or Reverb spillover. You can now select whether Delay or Reverb or both spill over on patch change.

Added 3-band EQ to Drive block with semi-parametric Midrange control. This can be used to fine-tune the Drive tones.

Reworked Drive models. The Drive models are now very accurate in terms of gain, frequency response and output level. Most of the models were completely reworked and may sound different. You should audition any presets using the Drive block and adjust as necessary. Note that the Drive control in the Drive block has a range of 40 dB irrespective of the model. Many actual drive pedals have less range than this so there isn’t necessarily a one-to-one correspondence to the knob position on the model and the knob position on the actual pedal. Furthermore, the models all have a log taper for the Drive and Level controls. Some pedals have linear pots for one or both of these controls. For example, the Boss SD-1 has 30 dB of range for the drive and a linear output pot.

Increased gain of Treble Boost Drive model by 10. The original Dallas Rangemaster, on which this model is based, had no Drive control, only an Output level control. Set the Drive control to 5.0 to replicate the original (previously the Drive had to be set to 10 to replicate the original).

Added “4558/DIODE” clip type to Drive block. This clipping type models diodes in the feedback path of a JRC4558 op-amp. The JRC4558 is a really lousy op-amp that produces a lot of distortion even when operated in its linear region. This new clip type reproduces that distortion as well as the clipping of the diodes.

Added “Bender Fuzz” Drive model. Based on a 1967 Vox Tonebender.

Changed Clip Type of Super OD model to “4558/DIODE” type (see above).

Re: ULTRA FIRMWARE 8.02 Updated Presets 8/5/09

I had a little trouble getting 8.02 to take on my Ultra, not sure why, but I am in absolute amazement at the patch I just dialed in in 40 seconds with a Brownface with a Rat in front of it. All the beautiful drive I wanted and still a sparkling spongy and WAY responsive edge on it. I've never heard myself sound any better through my studio monitors. I haven't even gotten into the advanced eq, cause I'm using the editor, but already I'm just in awe.

The combination of improved power amp modeling and now drive pedal modeling have improved my Axe exponentially since 7.00 which is what I started with. It's getting really really good here.

Happy...gratitude...Thanks for the work....it just keeps getting better.

Mike

Re: ULTRA FIRMWARE 8.05 Updated Presets 8/5/09

8.05 Ultra up!
http://www.fractalaudio.com/Documents/V ... ra8_05.zip

New factory presets as well:

http://www.fractalaudio.com/Documents/V ... _BankA.syx
http://www.fractalaudio.com/Documents/V ... _BankB.syx
http://www.fractalaudio.com/Documents/V ... _BankC.syx

Increased range of Intelligent Pitch to +/- 15 scale degrees. This allows up to two octaves of shift for standard Western scales.

Fixed Intelligent Pitch not calculating proper shift for negative harmonies.

Fixed incorrect modifier range for Drive parameter in Drive block.

Changed Continuous Controller defaults to defined values for use with MFC-101.

Improved Intelligent Pitch algorithm so that it interpolates between harmonies rather than jumping when using Smooth Tracking Mode, i.e. if the current harmony is a minor 3rd and a half-step above would result in a major 3rd the shifter will gradually increase the amount of shifting as the note is bent up rather than suddenly jumping from a minor to major 3rd.

Improved Drive modeling for some models.

External Controllers now default to maximum on power-up as opposed to zero. If assigned to a MIDI CC and no MIDI data incoming then value will remain at maximum. This allows using unit with no MIDI controller attached more easily, i.e. Volume block has External Controller assigned to Volume parameter.

Improved pitch shifter algorithm. Improved algorithm reduces echo on notes, especially when using small shift amounts.

Improved pitch detector algorithm when using Local Poly for the Pitch Source. New predictive algorithm has better stability which improves clarity of shifted notes.

Changed Drive block Drive control to replicate range of modeled device. Previously the Drive control had a range of 40 dB irrespective of the model. Now the Drive control range varies from 20 dB to 40 dB depending on the model. NOTE: exisiting presets will likely sound different and should be auditioned.
The following models are affected by this change:
- SUPER OD
- TS808 OD
- TS808 MOD
- FULL OD
- SHRED DIST
- BENDER FUZZ

Re: ULTRA FIRMWARE 8.05 Updated Presets 8/5/09

Maybe this has been asked before but do I have to upload the new banks? The last time I uploaded new banks, I didn't notice any difference. Is there a difference between the last banks and these new ones?

Back
Top Bottom