ULTRA FIRMWARE 11.0 MAY 9 2011

Re: ULTRA FIRMWARE 7.15 & PRESETS UPDATED as of (7.13-15)

beagle said:
After downloading 3 .syx files(for bank A to C),I was open this file from MIDI-OX then send each file.
.syx file for bank A and C looks work but while sending data for bank B,Ultra dispaly shows "Back Cuecksum".
Anyone know how to fix this?

I download Ultra_BankB.syx then send this via MIDI-OX again then it wasn't show error message.
It looks success.
But when I was try to re-try same action,it shows "Bad Checksum" again.
I don't sure what is happen but my last Ultra_BankB.syx file transfer looks success,so I will try to check patches anyway.

thx.

joegold said:
It's really quite remarkably how often Cliff updates the firmware for this thing.

cuckoo...cuckoo...cuckoo

Thanks!

[How could you guys have even standed playing this thing back around version 4?
Your ears must really suck!!
:D ]

I got my AFX at the v3.18 and I immediately knew that it was a winner. I used Boss GT-8 at the time and I wasn't happy with them at all. Let me remind you - a lot of the known records were done with a Line6 POD which to my ears even on 3.18 AxeFX was much better in sound.

I was very happy to see how with every firmware revision it went from very good to amazing in v7

Mik.

mik said:
joegold said:
It's really quite remarkably how often Cliff updates the firmware for this thing.

cuckoo...cuckoo...cuckoo

Thanks!

[How could you guys have even standed playing this thing back around version 4?
Your ears must really suck!!
:D ]

I got my AFX at the v3.18 and I immediately knew that it was a winner. I used Boss GT-8 at the time and I wasn't happy with them at all. Let me remind you - a lot of the known records were done with a Line6 POD which to my ears even on 3.18 AxeFX was much better in sound.

I was very happy to see how with every firmware revision it went from very good to amazing in v7

Mik.

I think my Ultra had 6.08 in it when it shipped in November.
But I think that a few days later I updated to version 7. I didn't notice that big a difference in quality at the time. But i had to reprogram all my Amp blocks because there were so many new amp parameters.

I think one day I'll do an experiment and load version 6 back in just to see what it sounded like.

From the other thread:

"I've removed 7.15 from the server. After the complaints about the noise gate I totally rewrote the algorithm. It now uses basically the same algorithm as the Gate/Exp block and works much better. I also added an Attack control so you can set it how you like. The downside is it uses around 2% more CPU. If you set the Threshold to minimum the gate is bypassed and CPU usage is near zero."

JJ Rodriguez said:
Link to 7.15 is broken, Are there problems with it?

FractalAudio said:
I've removed 7.15 from the server. After the complaints about the noise gate I totally rewrote the algorithm. It now uses basically the same algorithm as the Gate/Exp block and works much better. I also added an Attack control so you can set it how you like. The downside is it uses around 2% more CPU. If you set the Threshold to minimum the gate is bypassed and CPU usage is near zero.

Thread locked until new Firmware gets posted.

Re: ULTRA FIRMWARE 7.16 & PRESETS UPDATED

Totally rewrote Noise Gate. New algorithm is based on Ultra Gate/Expander algorithm and is a true downward expander. Added Attack Time control.

Added Input1 and Input2 as possible Sidechain sources for Gate/Expander block.

Added Input1 and Input2 as possible Sidechain sources for Compressor block.

Changed maximum Release Rate of Multiband Compressor to match that of regular Compressor block. Existing presets should be auditioned.

I'm still a little confused on how to send the three banks. I open up SendSX, set the midi input and out as normal, open the Bank A file and click send. The program shows that it's sending the whole thing and even says it sent successfully when it's done but the Axe itself has zero change and the midi light doesn't even come on at any point in the transfer.

I have successfully sent Firmware updates and individual patches but these banks aren't doing jack squat for me.

What was in the banks previously? If they were factory banks already you shouldn't see much change. Usually there are only a couple of presets that are completely changed, some were tweaked a bit and most had no difference at all. Or just the additional/changed parameters adjusted.

In that case you don't see much change and hear only slight changes.

For reference, change a couple of presets before sending a bank and see what happened afterwards.

And there is indeed no visual feedback of banks being received by the Axe-FX midi-led or lcd screen. The only thing is the tempo led stops bleeping. With my sendsx it usually takes about 1 1/2 minutes. When it starts again the bank has been received, and by scrolling with the big knob you will see the newly received presets.

Johnny Two Tone said:
I'm still a little confused on how to send the three banks. I open up SendSX, set the midi input and out as normal, open the Bank A file and click send. The program shows that it's sending the whole thing and even says it sent successfully when it's done but the Axe itself has zero change and the midi light doesn't even come on at any point in the transfer.

I have successfully sent Firmware updates and individual patches but these banks aren't doing jack squat for me.

Try a different MIDI interface.

GuitarDojo said:

Totally rewrote Noise Gate. New algorithm is based on Ultra Gate/Expander algorithm and is a true downward expander. Added Attack Time control.

Added Input1 and Input2 as possible Sidechain sources for Gate/Expander block.

Added Input1 and Input2 as possible Sidechain sources for Compressor block.

Changed maximum Release Rate of Multiband Compressor to match that of regular Compressor block. Existing presets should be auditioned.

Big improvement on the Noise Gate indeed !!! :)

Re: ULTRA FIRMWARE 7.18 & PRESETS UPDATED

Added “Pres/Depth Type” parameter to amp block. “Passive” sets the Presence and Depth controls to behave like a real tube amplifier. “Active” sets the controls to behave like idealized versions. This setting defaults to Passive when the amp block is initialized but retains its setting across amp type changes. For pre-7.17 behavior set this to “Active”. “Active Pres” sets the Depth to passive and the Presence to Active. “Active Depth” sets the Depth to active and the Presence to passive.

Added support for new OEM LCD driver chip.

NOTE: This release will likely alter the sound of your presets slightly. It is highly recommended that you audition your presets after installing this update.

Reworked Presence and Depth modeling algorithms. The Presence and Depth (formerly Deep) parameters in the amp block now responds like an actual amp’s Presence and Depth (sometimes called Resonance) controls rather than idealized ones. The Depth control in particular has a more noticable effect on the tone than before.

Added Bypass Mode and modifier to Volume block.

Changed “Corncob R100” model to account for new Depth algorithm.

Increased the Transformer Match range slightly. Setting Transformer Match to 5.0 is now equivalent to setting it to 5.5 with earlier firmware.

Added “Air” parameter to cabinet block. This control modifies the impulse response to provide a more present sound and gives more bite and body to the tone. The effect is most noticable when using high gain. The “Air Freq” parameter determines the critical frequency of the Air effect. Experiment with both controls to determine the best settings.

mitch236 said:
What is the OEM LCD chip? It sounds like the display.

That's what I would put my money on, it's the only liquid crystal display I see on the unit... Might be for a new type of LCD for new units.

In other news, holy crap! I don't know if my ears are messing with me but my patches are sounding AWESOME after the update! I've had to drop the level on a couple but damn they sound good!

Thanks Cliff!

supahd01 said:
That's what I would put my money on, it's the only liquid crystal display I see on the unit... Might be for a new type of LCD for new units.

That would SUCK! I waited months to save up for my Ultra, finally just bought it and now there's going to be new, better models?! AARRGGG! ;)

Johnny Two Tone said:
supahd01 said:

That would SUCK! I waited months to save up for my Ultra, finally just bought it and now there's going to be new, better models?! AARRGGG! ;)

Good thing you bought it for the sound then eh? :lol:

I'm purely speculating anyway.

brettllingle said:
How do you restore the factory presets?

Go to the "The Ultra Zone" forum and click on the "Ultra Firmware 7.18 & Presets Update" thread. The first post has links for the firmware and the three individual preset banks. Next open your midi-transfer program (I use Bome's SendSX), and send each bank one after another. Make sure that if you are loading preset bank A that you aren't on a number, in your Axe-Fx, that is in bank A. In other words if you are loading bank A set the dial on the Axe to, say, preset 200 or whatever. After the program has successfully sent the bank don't touch anything before pressing "store; enter; enter" on you Axe-Fx to set the bank. Move the dial to the now loaded presets to see that they are there and then load the next bank.

The reason I wrote that out so thoroughly is that I had to ask several times before I got a complete answer myself. ;)

Back
Top Bottom