u2 - Where The Streets Have No Name

mark_melling

Power User
A great patch made by "fremen"

Just a quick (and very rough) recording to let you hear how it sounds.

Played through a Bare Knuckle nailbomb humbucker..NOT a good pickup for the song, but it will have to do! :)

Updated:

As Mike at RW says..i can't give you "official permission" (legal aspect) but i won't call the cops!

Nice guys!! :)

Makes a big difference to the patch!

Attachments

• Streets have no name.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 676
  • 01 TDR vox mix.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 326
  • u2 - Bad.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
Glad to hear it working with other guitars :) it's a pity I can't share my user IR for this

The patch is the best i have ever heard for this song..to be honest it's unbelievable good!!

Fractal should exchange the one on the Ax with this, it hands down destroys it!

It even works well with my nailbomb humbucker which is about as far as you can get from his original Strat pickups!
I would love to play the patch with some nice single coils pickups..my next guitar purchase i guess!!

It is a real pity you don't remember the RW mix..it still sounds good with the stock cab i added..but your mix makes a noticeable difference..
I wonder if i email RW and ask them to let it be released as a "holiday present"

I think i have "stolen" 6 likes that really belong to you!! ;)

"update"

I have just emailed RW about sharing the IR so hopefully they will be cool with it..if not they can sue me!! :mrgreen

Last edited:
Can you tell me what the user ir is?
"it's a redwirez vox mix, unfortunately I didn't write the recipe "

Thanks, I have them, so I will experiment. I think I once got a mix from you after I showed you that I did in fact own the Redwirez.
So far, the Axe-fx II seems much better at sharing presets than the Ultra was. I still get some horrible sounding presets from shares, but the majority are useable.

Original post updated to include "fremen's" excellent RW Vox IR mix and an added u2 - "Bad" patch.

Last edited:
Nice tone, but you should check your delay time. It sounds like your using two delays, and your throwing yourself off trying to play in time with the delay and the song at the same time... I don't have my Axe II here but I think 357ms is the right time for that backing track. Really nice tone though considering you say your using humbuckers!

That is not a problem with the patch..just my rushed demo!

When played completely in time the two delays sound more authentic to me than a single delay.

In my humble opinion, you don't need a special IR for Streets. Just a good AC30 model that is slightly overdriven (just on the verge of breakup) and dotted 8th note delay (354ms at 127 BPM). And of course to get closest to Edge's tone, use a Strat in quack position. The amp on the verge of breakup is important.

Here is my Axe2 patch:

View attachment 8292

I recently updated the amp model slightly. Depending on your pup output, you may need to turn the amp model drive down a little or the drive in the FET boost. The FET boost is my model of the Korg SDD3000 preamp. You can either set the amp model on the verge of breakup, or you can set it a little cleaner and let the FET boost drive the amp model. The amp model is slightly brighter without the FET boost SDD3k model in front of it because I have the highs cut off more in the FET boost. So you can adjust to your liking. With the FET in front you get more of the Slane tone (less highs and more mids), like this:

You can just tell how the tone is gritty but not distorted.

Here is one more reference for how important your base AC30 tone is for U2 stuff. This is a link to a recent clip Mick put up. He plays his Strat into his real AC30. Hear how it's on the verge of drive breakup:

my Vox ac30 base tone

Mick always has a great tone coming through his Vox, i am going to try to replicate something similar with my AC15 HW1..maybe start with some JJ's then the blue.

In my humble opinion, you don't need a special IR for Streets. Just a good AC30 model that is slightly overdriven (just on the verge of breakup) and dotted 8th note delay (354ms at 127 BPM).
Of course you don’t need a special IR for U2 tones :) I made one for the Axe gen 1 because I like experimenting, and when the experiment was over I liked mine better than the stock IRs. I just converted that IR for the Axe II.
Note that I’m not trying to achieve the perfect replica of The Edge’s tone ; I’m trying to find a tone that suits me and my guitar, which is not a Strat but an Ibanez, with a H/SC/H pickup configuration. For example, I like delays in stereo, but for Streets the first delay should be in the center, that’s why I used two delay blocks. I also like more low end content than the AC30 is normally capable of.
I think anyone pluging on any guitar hero’s amp would feel the need to adjust the settings, and The Edge is no exception ;)

we might be doing this tune in my covers band soon. i have the whole delay thing sorted, but the tone still eludes me slightly. i'm using an ultra, so i can't have a look at the patch that axeman posted. any help would be much appreciated in terms of amp settings / fet boost settings / and cab types. i know it's a pain, sorry...!

we might be doing this tune in my covers band soon. i have the whole delay thing sorted, but the tone still eludes me slightly. i'm using an ultra, so i can't have a look at the patch that axeman posted. any help would be much appreciated in terms of amp settings / fet boost settings / and cab types. i know it's a pain, sorry...!

If you open the patches in Edit in the AX ll configuration, you will have all the settings there for you.

Last edited:
If you open the patches in Edit in the AX ll configuration, you will have all the settings there for you.

tried that already. dunno if it's the patch, or the new version of AE, but it doesn't work....it says it's the wrong asset type

i really need to figure out how to run two instances of AE, so i can do side by side comparisons....

tried that already. dunno if it's the patch, or the new version of AE, but it doesn't work....it says it's the wrong asset type

i really need to figure out how to run two instances of AE, so i can do side by side comparisons....

Strange!

I have done a screen recording of all the settings for Michael's patch.

If you want me to do another for the other patch let me know, there is alot more going on in Thibault's patch.

*Uploaded* again using full screen..so you can see the settings!! :D

Dec 28, 2011 12:44pm | Facebook

Last edited:
I can also send you the preset I used with the Standard if you can wait, or Mark can, I'm at work right now

Back
Top Bottom