Tuner isn't helping to tune at all.

Cem

Experienced
I don't get it, how can the tuner of a SUCH great unit which makes me fly every single gig can't work properly?

Am I doing something wrong? It just doesn't tune for me, It takes 5 minutes according to MFC to tune my guitar each song ( the problem is IT IS TUNED ALREADY!)

I will go for a clip tuner I guess, and remove TUNER button from MFC... really.

11.01 and latest on MFC.

It works more than perfect on Axe Edit. But on mfc. Nope!

I will go for a clip tuner I guess, and remove TUNER button from MFC... really.

I ordered a Snark and it arrived yesterday in time for tonight's gig. Hadn't heard of one until someone on here mentioned it

I opted for one because my AxeII tuner becomes un-usably jumpy and stutters in use as soon as I fire PC, CC & MIDI Clock commands to it from the sequencer

So tonight was the first time I've ever used a clip-on and it was just great not having to turn the axe on and off each time I want to check the tuning :encouragement:

Not only that, I broke a string mid-set, so grabbed a spare 4th, poked it through the trem hole and we went into a song that I didn't need to play on so that I could get it up and running again. I still had to sing the song, but with the Snark to hand, I was back in and playing again by the time we'd finished the 2nd verse - bonus! It wasn't a particularly loud gig / venue tonight, but the Snark's vibration sensor worked a treat even mid-song

I'd heartily recommend bagging one - they're cheap too :)

Not using the MFC, but I find nothing at all wrong with the tuner on the Axe FX.

Works like....well.... a tuner.

Thinking you have to be doing something wrong.

While I don't have first-hand experience with the MFC, I've seen what you're talking about. I took my daughter to see a metal show. A guitarist for one of the acts had an Ultra and an MFC. He'd kick on his tuner and watch his MFC as he tuned. But he kept looking back at his rack to confirm. I talked to him later, and yes, he kept going back to the front panel on his Ultra to make sure his tuning was right.

I totally agree, the MFC tuner is pretty bad, the AxeII is more stable but still it isn’t that good like a normal tuner.
I used to run a Korg DTR1000 in my rack and feed it from out 2 which had a direct signal bypassing the volume block on the grid meaning when I take to volume pedal back to heel position, the sound from the Axe is muted but still there is a feed going to the tuner.
Then from the Korg there was a feed running to the pedal board where I had an Ibanez LU20 tuner pedal so basically no matter what, I had both tuners ON all the time and ready for action.

Both tuners (Korg and Ibanez) were working perfect and very accurate and stable but it was a setup I had in the days of the ULTRA and Voodoo GCP and when I switched to the II+MFC I thought I can skip these tuners for the sake of space weight and complexity but unfortunately I was dead wrong!

I'm thinking now to bring these tuners back into the chain, however the Korg was sold so I'll have to get a new one, luckily I still have the Ibanez.

BTW, these SNARK clips are VERY expensive compared to any other clip tuner out there and I had a few and they are working 100%, I can't find something special in the SNARK specs to justify the high price of it.

... OMG ... the never ending Tuner debate. I tune my guitars using the neck Pickup - more stable in general! The tuner response on the MFC has increased much in the past. A year ago ihad said: Yes: difficult to use on the MFC. Nowdays i find the Tuner response absolutely usable. Not as fast and responding like on the Axe-Fx itself - sure, but absolutely ok for quick checking between songs... IMHO.

For some reason the MFC is much less responsive than my Axe and I don't really trust it. I always go to the Axe - it's faster

The MFC's LCD is lo-res compared to the Axe-Fx's. That's why it's more coarse.

I read somewhere that using the neck pickup and back the tone knob down stabilizes tuning .. I didn't read it here or in relation to FAS, I think it was a tuner manual .. and using your thump instead of a pick could also make it smoother ..

Now I don't know about the thumb tip, but the neck pickup and back down the tone sure works on some strobe tuners I've tried
(especially on humbuckers) .. don't ask me why ..

just my 2 cents, I'm not an expert or professional by any means ..
but maybe it helps ..

:)

I use the tuner on the MFC every single week. Not one complaint and I don't use any special tricks, I mostly tune on the bridge pickup. I can't look at the front panel because my axe is tucked away so I use MFC display exclusively.

I ordered a Snark and it arrived yesterday in time for tonight's gig. Hadn't heard of one until someone on here mentioned it

I opted for one because my AxeII tuner becomes un-usably jumpy and stutters in use as soon as I fire PC, CC & MIDI Clock commands to it from the sequencer

So tonight was the first time I've ever used a clip-on and it was just great not having to turn the axe on and off each time I want to check the tuning :encouragement:

Not only that, I broke a string mid-set, so grabbed a spare 4th, poked it through the trem hole and we went into a song that I didn't need to play on so that I could get it up and running again. I still had to sing the song, but with the Snark to hand, I was back in and playing again by the time we'd finished the 2nd verse - bonus! It wasn't a particularly loud gig / venue tonight, but the Snark's vibration sensor worked a treat even mid-song

I'd heartily recommend bagging one - they're cheap too :)

As much as I love the Snark, they're not sturdy. Both I, my other guitarist, and bass player used them during rehearsals and live, and we pretty much gave up on them. The battery life is poor, there are times in which it doesn't turn on, and the screen sometimes is too dim.

It's a great concept, but I wish they would be a bit more reliable.

I also agree that the MFC tuner can be suspect at times. I rely on the front panel only.

I Don't have the MFC. When I'm at home the Axe2 tuner is fine. However at a gig in a noisy environment the tuner is less stable. My theory is that the tuner is so good that its picking up noisy environment nuances from other strings that are not the focus of the tuning. Try muting the other 5 strings.

I am looking into outfitting my guitar with an EVERTUNE tuner. From what I have seen there is nothing like it in the world. It keeps a tension on the strings so the guitarist only needs to tune one time between string changes. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to tuning so I was quite skeptical about this technology. But the more videos I watch convinced me to make the investment. I hope to have this installed soon as im growing tired of tuning between every song.

I tune my guitars using the neck Pickup - more stable in general!
It is preference and approach. In my 25 year experience, neck pickups are too sporadic and unstable due to the increased string vibration and low end transfer being picked-up. The bass side of neck pickups can 'pull' your strings out of tune when plucked even a little too hard. Or pickups that use ceramic magnets or that are too close to the strings can cause tuner challenges. I personally use the bridge pickup and recommend it for those having tuner stability issues. I find it difficult get accurate harmonic/fretted note consistency using the neck pickup for intonation. I suspect it is the way in which different players strike the strings. FWIW I use strobe tuners, always have.

I read somewhere that using the neck pickup and back the tone knob down stabilizes tuning .. I didn't read it here or in relation to FAS, I think it was a tuner manual .. and using your thump instead of a pick could also make it smoother ..

Now I don't know about the thumb tip, but the neck pickup and back down the tone sure works on some strobe tuners I've tried
(especially on humbuckers) .. don't ask me why ..

just my 2 cents, I'm not an expert or professional by any means ..
but maybe it helps ..

:)

Yep. What you want to do when tuning is reducing the overtones as much as possible, because a sensitive will pick those up and start to jitter.
Hitting a string with your thump makes sure that the attack is soft, reducing string vibration. Switchng to neck pickup reduces the upper frequencies, as does turning down the tone knob. All this helps the tuner to focus on the basic note.

Hitting with your thumb or another fleshy soft object will also decrease the amount of overtones.

Make sure you pick as hard as you use to do.
The harder you pick a string the sharper the onset of the string vibration. More for thicker strings.

Back
Top Bottom