Tuner isn't helping to tune at all.

I trigger the tuner from the MFC but use the Axe display to tune. Using harmonics on the 12th fret are helpful for the B and E lower strings. The Axe is VERY accurate.

I have zero issues with the tuner. Sure it is not as fast as the AF2......it's midi driven.

QUOTE=Morphosis;922233]... OMG ... the never ending Tuner debate. I tune my guitars using the neck Pickup - more stable in general! The tuner response on the MFC has increased much in the past. A year ago ihad said: Yes: difficult to use on the MFC. Nowdays i find the Tuner response absolutely usable. Not as fast and responding like on the Axe-Fx itself - sure, but absolutely ok for quick checking between songs... IMHO.[/QUOTE]

I find the tuner display on the MFC unusable - the Axe front panel is fine. I suspect sluggish MIDI communications. Scene change indication is also sluggish. This is a shame in a $750 foot controller. I'm thinking of selling mine once I look into alternatives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Neck pickup works for me too, I read something in an earlier post about the neck pickup not working for him because it pulls the strings, The magnetic pull from the pickup is the same whether selected or not, so if that's the case it would still pull if Bridge is selected! Pickups are set too close to strings!!!

For some reason the MFC is much less responsive than my Axe and I don't really trust it. I always go to the Axe - it's faster

same here! Tuner on the MFC is worthless to me. I always use the tuner on the Axe fx itself. Stopped trying with the MFC.

Neck pickup works for me too, I read something in an earlier post about the neck pickup not working for him because it pulls the strings, The magnetic pull from the pickup is the same whether selected or not, so if that's the case it would still pull if Bridge is selected! Pickups are set too close to strings!!!
I understand why you may be incredulous ;). Still, these are electronic tuners. The signal they receive is a result of the electronic signal sent from the pickup. That electronic signal (vibration pattern and magnetic field pattern) sent and received changes depending on the selected pickup. Pickup 'position' has complete relevance on the type of signal received. If you re-read the post, the 'string pull' comment was an 'in addition to' possible challenge. Its as common and relevant as where you pluck the string on the guitar is for tuning. Its useful that we have different ways to get the tuning job done right and efficiently This is mine and I recommend it as a starting point. I don't challenge anybody's experience, I have been at this too long to know better. My own experience includes working for Seymour Duncan in house as their technical for years and hired independently out of house for many specialized projects for them as well as consulting for many guitar brands/builders... and setting up countless guitars for working known professionals in my specialized wiring shop in So.Ca. It doesn't make it right, but it is a relevant working process and I don't use neck pickup for tuning. Both points are valid and this 'best way approach' is as old as the hills and can be found in forums, magazines, books etc for years. It really is preference and approach. The physics don't change either way and the goal is always the same.

I use neck pickup also, but doesn't work. Never tried to look at AXE2's display, cause I generally put axe laying horizontal to the ground, so I can't look at it down.

The tuner doesnt even come up on my MFC anymore. I hit tuner and it shows up on the front panel, but not on the MFC. I have a tuner on my pedal board anyway so I could care less, but it used to show up on the MFC I am pretty sure. FW 11.03 and latest MFC FW.

The tuner doesnt even come up on my MFC anymore. I hit tuner and it shows up on the front panel, but not on the MFC. I have a tuner on my pedal board anyway so I could care less, but it used to show up on the MFC I am pretty sure. FW 11.03 and latest MFC FW.
https://soundcloud.com/celestialflesh/04-remembrance

-Off topic, sorry...

Bitch'n track Eric M! Some cool sounds going on in there, a really nice progy-production.

I understand why you may be incredulous ;). Still, these are electronic tuners. The signal they receive is a result of the electronic signal sent from the pickup. That electronic signal (vibration pattern and magnetic field pattern) sent and received changes depending on the selected pickup. Pickup 'position' has complete relevance on the type of signal received. If you re-read the post, the 'string pull' comment was an 'in addition to' possible challenge. Its as common and relevant as where you pluck the string on the guitar is for tuning. Its useful that we have different ways to get the tuning job done right and efficiently This is mine and I recommend it as a starting point. I don't challenge anybody's experience, I have been at this too long to know better. My own experience includes working for Seymour Duncan in house as their technical for years and hired independently out of house for many specialized projects for them as well as consulting for many guitar brands/builders... and setting up countless guitars for working known professionals in my specialized wiring shop in So.Ca. It doesn't make it right, but it is a relevant working process and I don't use neck pickup for tuning. Both points are valid and this 'best way approach' is as old as the hills and can be found in forums, magazines, books etc for years. It really is preference and approach. The physics don't change either way and the goal is always the same.

Hey, Rock on Brother!! if it works for you I think that's Awesome!!!!!! No need to defend yourself, I do what works for me also!!! Stated your opinion, I stated Mine!

I would be very interested in your review on this, do you plan on doing it in the immediate future? Also what guitar is going to be the test subject?

Not immediate future but hopefully within the next 2-3 months Ill get the evertune installed.. I use the Epiphone BBKing Lucille Guitar.

Hey, Rock on Brother!! if it works for you I think that's Awesome!!!!!! No need to defend yourself, I do what works for me also!!! Stated your opinion, I stated Mine!

Rock on yourself brother and cheers!

Its 100% good here. Clarification is just clarification. I find clarification useful as a reference point and to understand perspective or experience, never for defense (gee I certainly hope not about the method used to tune a guitar) :lol. Also physics are just physics. The existence of string vibration,standing wave patterns (with nodes and anti-nodes) and magnetic field patterns from pickup position are beyond opinion. What is my 'preference' however, is using the bridge pickup to tune. I still find it the most effective with the least degree of distortion.

There is a lot of latency to the MFC side of the tuner display, but I've found the only time I need/use that one is for quick checks. If I need accurate and fast, there's the display on the Axe. It's fine enough to do intonation setups with.

But, back up the thread somebody mentioned how expensive the little Snark tuners are, which surprised me. Maybe if you go to GC or some retail place like that, they are. I've seen places like that charge upward of $30 for them, which is outrageous. But, they're so inexpensive online that I buy them by the half-dozen or so, and give them away as "thank you for the business" premiums when I do guitar work. You can find them as low as $8, with free shipping if you buy enough of them. They're not the sturdiest little rascals I've ever used, but they're surprisingly fast and accurate, plus they're easy to see.

Call me crazy, but because I don't have/need/want an MFC and don't want to turn around all the time on stage, I use a PolyTune. Not only is it great for checking all my strings quickly to see if I need to tune anything, but it also allows me to use two cables for more room to move around on stage. Works great for me. If you really want peace of mind you can always grab a buffer or buffered tuner as well, but I have no issues with my tone doing this!

Rock on yourself brother and cheers!

Its 100% good here. Clarification is just clarification. I find clarification useful as a reference point and to understand perspective or experience, never for defense (gee I certainly hope not about the method used to tune a guitar) :lol. Also physics are just physics. The existence of string vibration,standing wave patterns (with nodes and anti-nodes) and magnetic field patterns from pickup position are beyond opinion. What is my 'preference' however, is using the bridge pickup to tune. I still find it the most effective with the least degree of distortion.

Waste Of time , Stated My thoughts as you did , Time to let it go!!

Waste Of time , Stated My thoughts as you did , Time to let it go!!
??? My apologies if I have offended you with perspective and experiences, there is no flame here and there is certainly nothing personal in any of my posts. That said, why would that change how often I can post here? LOL! Like others, I enjoy sharing my experiences and I may have more to contribute to this thread. We are all free to come and go, read or reply or not but either way there is only benevolence here. :encouragement: Be well!

BTW, I setup my 89' Telecaster today with 9's for a studio session tomorrow (9s are slinky and hard to intonate well on this guitar). I put my history aside and tried multiple combinations for intonating the guitar, just as an exercise in personal expansion. I finally had success with the bridge pickup full and tone control set to 'no load'. It may be that I am just overly used to that method. Its hard to say. Either way I have learned what works well for me. We generally teach what we know.
Cheers.

??? My apologies if I have offended you with perspective and experiences, there is no flame here and there is certainly nothing personal in any of my posts. That said, why would that change how often I can post here? LOL! Like others, I enjoy sharing my experiences and I may have more to contribute to this thread. We are all free to come and go, read or reply or not but either way there is only benevolence here. :encouragement: Be well!

BTW, I setup my 89' Telecaster today with 9's for a studio session tomorrow (9s are slinky and hard to intonate well on this guitar). I put my history aside and tried multiple combinations for intonating the guitar, just as an exercise in personal expansion. I finally had success with the bridge pickup full and tone control set to 'no load'. It may be that I am just overly used to that method. Its hard to say. Either way I have learned what works well for me. We generally teach what we know.
Cheers.

No offense ! Just better things to do!

Back
Top Bottom