Tube Drive?

Yep, I have one. It is a great pedal.

+1
I used to have one too (unfortunately one "so called chandler" in a 19" 1HE rack unit ) back the years, sold it together with my boogie amp back then....(around 1999 or so). I always loved the tone - also used to dial in some of these stuff with my old standard ->
Paulatest - YouTube

it's a low voltage circuit - but in the axefx you can experiment with different clipping characteristics which is damn cool!

Bk butler or chandler tube driver.
Two different versions but very similar. It's one of my favorite overdrive pedals.

For those who are interested I have a new original Butler Tubedrive pedal for sale with Yugo tubes. Exactly the same one as Gilmour and Eric Johnson are using. Ordered it two years ago from Butler. It is a great pedal. The Tube drive in the Axe fx sounds different (worse in my opinion) than the original one. I Don't use the Butler pedal anymore since I have been selling all my hardware pedals one by one to be replaced by the Axe fx. The Butler is the last pedal I have. Had some doubt selling it but now is the time.

Last edited:
EJ and Gilmour, probably thousands of others too!

Yup, Satch used one for a good while, and not to forget Andy Timmons. The tones he manages to get with just the BK and a CM compressor straight into his amps is just mind-boggling :) Even tho my setup is near the exact same as his (well, bar the fingers and incredible skill he has), I still don't feel that I get anywhere near to his tones. But then again, I rarely get the chance to really crank that Stiletto up to where it should be, that's probably what's missing for me. Thankfully I have the Axe where I can do that at reasonable volumes :D

I'd love to mess around with the drive pedals, but the ability to get the natural gain from the amp models at low volume has always ended up sounding better to me. Being able to crank these amps to 11 and not blow your ears out is a real treat.

I'd love to mess around with the drive pedals, but the ability to get the natural gain from the amp models at low volume has always ended up sounding better to me. Being able to crank these amps to 11 and not blow your ears out is a real treat.

I've noticed that since the introduction of scenes and the volume control for each scene, I have preferred to setup a basic amp on x and then a higher gain of the same amp, or a different one on y, and I've used the overdrive pedals less frequently.

The Tube drive in the Axe fx sounds different (worse in my opinion) than the original one.

I have not been able to nail that one in the Axe either (I will attribute to user error before I say it sucks) - that being said I think the pedals overall need a bit of love.

Any suggested settings to get an Eric Johnson vibe going with the Butler?

Any suggested settings to get an Eric Johnson vibe going with the Butler?

Would love to help, but I can´t make the thing work properly.

In a real one, Eric uses:

the Hi and Lo controls almost off.

The Drive and Master control is about 1/3 on only (About 10 o’clock position)

The Bias control is set at about 3 o’clock position.

With this settings in the pedal you have the Violin Tone right away.

TubeDriver.jpg

Reactions: LVC
The model in the Axe-Fx is based on the 3-knob version. The 3-knob version sounds very different than the 4-knob version.

Then I would love to have the 4 knob versión modeled.

Pleeeeeeaaaassseeee!!!!!

LOL

The one I bought from BK himself a few years ago have 5 Knobs (the 4 that appear in the photo, plus the BIAS knob), and for my taste it´s the most amazing overdrive pedal I have heard. (And it´s the one Eric Johnson has been using lately)

Then I would love to have the 4 knob versión modeled.

Pleeeeeeaaaassseeee!!!!!

LOL

The one I bought from BK himself a few years ago have 5 Knobs (the 4 that appear in the photo, plus the BIAS knob), and for my taste it´s the most amazing overdrive pedal I have heard. (And it´s the one Eric Johnson has been using lately)

Send it to Fractal.

Yes. If someone has the orginal 4-button, or maybe the one Siddhartha have. Please send it to Cliff.

Yes. If someone has the orginal 4-button, or maybe the one Siddhartha have. Please send it to Cliff.

Too bad just sold my recent Butler 4 knob Tube Driver two weeks ago. And Yes +1 for a 4 or 5 knob with BIAS Tube Driver model. Don't understand why they modeled the 3 knob version since it's the 4 knob version 'everybody' is after.

Back
Top Bottom