1. We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

Wish True Multichannel Capability: One Amp sim per input channel

Discussion in 'Axe-Fx III Wish List' started by Leo Pedersen, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Leo Pedersen

Leo Pedersen
    Expand Collapse
    New here

With so much processing power compared to previous models, Fractal could capture the entire hexaphonic guitar market by simply adding more Amp sim blocks - enough for one for each string.

Even if the additional Amp blocks were of lower quality, AxeFX II or Ultra amps sims, that would still be fantastic for us multi-channel players.

2. lqdsnddist

lqdsnddist
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

I’d guess the total hexaphonic market is pretty small overall though.....?

Sturla likes this.
  3. AlexanderJ

AlexanderJ
    Expand Collapse
    New here

I'm guessing there's at least 6 of them...

bradlake likes this.
  4. Dr. Dipwad

Dr. Dipwad
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

There's already discussion of 3-Amps-At-Once being available, in another thread. The notion produced a fair bit of excitement and enthusiasm.

I grant that three is not the same as six. But depending on what you're trying to achieve (tonally), it might be enough.

Were the 3-Amps-At-Once to appear in an upcoming Firmware update, I would try running...
    - Strings 1 & 4 into Amp 1,
    - Strings 2 & 5 into Amp 2,
    - Strings 3 & 6 into Amp 3,
    ...and testing out the interactions.

By doing so, I think you'd get an effect not-very-different from One-Amp-Per-String.

After all, it isn't an ultra-clean amp that gives you a big difference between One-Amp-Per-String and All-Strings-Into-One-Amp.

On the contrary, it's the distortion and intermodulation that makes the difference. When 2 notes play through the same distortion circuit, their overtones clash. The more distortion there is, the more that the notes themselves become harder to distinguish. And the effect is worse, the closer-in-pitch those two notes are. (Excluding unisons, of course.)

But if your 3rd and 6th strings share an amp, I don't think the overtone clash would be particularly bad. The notes are certain to fall in different octaves; often they'll have more than an octave between them.

Certainly, with such an arrangement, any chord played on 3 adjacent strings would sound similar to the Boston-esque "guitar harmonies."

Is that what you were hoping to achieve?

Leo Pedersen likes this.
  5. yek

yek
    Expand Collapse

:cool:

brianv4 likes this.
  6. Leo Pedersen

Leo Pedersen
    Expand Collapse
    New here

Certainly. Traditional monophonic gear doesn't suit hexaphonic applications at all.

However the possibilities with an AxeFX III, with it's 7 inputs, and multichannel pickups like Cycfi are certainly tantalizing and could very much expand the hexaphonic market.

7. Leo Pedersen

Leo Pedersen
    Expand Collapse
    New here

The Boston-esque guitar harmonies are a huge part of the appeal for me, and I completely agree with your suggested strategy for anyone limited to three channels of amp simulation.

For me an equal priority is being able to adjust and optimize the tone of each string independently. So I need a separate channel for each string.

8. Leo Pedersen

Leo Pedersen
    Expand Collapse
    New here

Would it not be simple to add the Ultra amp sims back in as a relatively "lo rez" option?

This is assuming that there is still not enough processing power in the AxeFXIII for six native amp sims.

9. chris

chris
    Expand Collapse

To me this just sounds over the top. Is there any recording where this was done and it demonstrates the benefit? I’ve never heard it.

I personally wouldn’t want a low-anything in Fractal gear. And even so, why would it be simple?

10. brianv4

brianv4
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Hmmm, we currently have 2 amp blocks, why not just buy 2 more axefx3's? That'll get you there! See @yek the solution is quite simple ;-)

11. pauliusmm

pauliusmm
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

you can simulate the amp using a drive block into another cab block or into IR player.