True Bypass Details?

naka2112

Inspired
If using it in the 4cm, can the user true bypass the front end (effects before amp input), but keep the back end in the chain? Conversely, can the user true bypass the back end (effects after the tube preamp), but keep the front end in the chain?

Essentially, this would allow the user to eliminate one of the AD/DA conversions, which might be desirable, especially before the tube amp input.

Or, when they say true bypass, does it mean you would have to bypass the entire unit?

That is a great idea, I do not know if it is possible, it hasn't been stated. A great idea though.

That is a great idea, I do not know if it is possible, it hasn't been stated. A great idea though.

It would also allow you to eliminate the front end when using high gain patches (where people usually just use time based effects). This would help with hiss which seems to be a problem when running a digital device into a high gain channel.

When I used to have the g-system, I always wished you could do this.

Last edited:
In the line 6 m13 the true bypass works only for the entire unit! The hiss from the m13 send (no true bypass) is like the Axe Fx 2 mod out.
I hope FX8 will be better!

If the bypass is really tone neutral, it wont matter that you have not bypassed the whole unit (in front of the preamp)...

If the bypass is really tone neutral, it wont matter that you have not bypassed the whole unit (in front of the preamp)...

Not entirely true. Running any digital device before a tube amp input set to a higher gain channel introduces hiss (unavoidable I think). Being able to bypass the front end, might be able to eliminate the hiss completely.

The hardware is capable of doing this as there are independent bypass controls for the pre and post paths. The firmware does not currently support it but it shouldn't be too difficult to implement.

I tried to think of everything but that's a nearly impossible task.

The hardware is capable of doing this as there are independent bypass controls for the pre and post paths. The firmware does not currently support it but it shouldn't be too difficult to implement.

So if one were to bypass the front end on a higher gain channel, and only use the back end, would that be like plugging directly into the amp input? In other words, would it remove any residual hiss inherent with 4cm setups?

Last edited:

If it's possible to implement it would be great to have the possibility to bypass the preamp (out1/input2) so that the signal goes straight from input1 to out2.
And another idea could be the possibilty to choose between L or R or both to feed the post section so that we can use 2 different preamps and choose which one to use on a per-scene basis (EDIT: or even better having the possibility to treat post L+R as two independent stereo paths plus a mixer with level and pan control at the end of the chain)
Just suggesting :)

Last edited:

Being able to do this would be utterly amazing. I will buy it for this reason alone. Would cutting out the front end eliminate any residual hiss associated with digital gear in front of a distortion channel on a preamp?

The engineer got this working this afternoon. So now you can select whether True Bypass bypasses both the pre (before amp) and post (amp's loop) paths or just the pre path.

Honestly though the noise floor is so low that you'd be hard pressed to tell whether it was true bypass or DSP bypass.

The engineer got this working this afternoon. So now you can select whether True Bypass bypasses both the pre (before amp) and post (amp's loop) paths or just the pre path.

Honestly though the noise floor is so low that you'd be hard pressed to tell whether it was true bypass or DSP bypass.

That's so awesome. So bypassing the front end will be the same as plugging directly into the front of the amp. I am thinking this should remedy the residual hiss that you guys have noted is pretty much impossible to avoid because of those pesky laws of physics.

I used to get around this problem by using the g system with a gcx. I could remove the front end of the g system when using high gain tones. I would bring it back in for compression, or if I needed a wah.

You guys are great!

Last edited:
That's so awesome. So bypassing the front end will be the same as plugging directly into the front of the amp. I am thinking this should remedy the residual hiss that you guys have noted is pretty much impossible to avoid because of those pesky laws of physics. You guys are great!

The signal still goes through a buffer but bypasses the converters. I guess technically it should be called "Buffered True Bypass". The buffer has an extremely low self-noise.

Hi guys,

Does the Axe Fx have a True Bypass option?
no. but it's well-designed as is and should not cause any issue. the FX8 was made specifically to use with real amps, and was added in just to have it.

Yes, the True Bypass is a buffered bypass. As you've noted though it's really not needed. We put it in there for the purists but I don't use it.

i really don't think True Bypass on the Axe-Fx III would create any actual benefit.

Back
Top Bottom