FX8 V1.02B Public Beta

I updated to 1.02b and am seeing some interesting behavior with drive pedals.
Pull up Mark Days HBE (not sitting at the unit right now). In the Global settings turn on Global True Bypass. Enable and disable the 2nd pedal (drive). When it goes on it is seamless. When turning it off all signal stops for a short time (< 1 second). If Global True Bypass is Off it works like it should.

Thanks
John

I'm guessing you mean "Mark Day's BE" (there is no HBE preset) and Auto True Bypass (there's no Global True Bypass).

With ATB on, when you bypass the second pedal in that preset, True Bypass engages. What you're hearing is the delay between bypassing the Drive block (which is digital and instantaneous) and engaging True Bypass (it takes a fraction of a second for the mechanical true-bypass relays to kick in).

I'm guessing you mean "Mark Day's BE" (there is no HBE preset) and Auto True Bypass (there's no Global True Bypass).

With ATB on, when you bypass the second pedal in that preset, True Bypass engages. What you're hearing is the delay between bypassing the Drive block (which is digital and instantaneous) and engaging True Bypass (it takes a fraction of a second for the mechanical true-bypass relays to kick in).

This happened to me too, once i figured it was the bypass relay kicking in out I started listening and A/B'ing. Conclusion: no need for true bypass!

CLIFF/ JOE- are the relays buffered for long cable runs? ( I assume they are). Regardless, A+!!!

This happened to me too, once i figured it was the bypass relay kicking in out I started listening and A/B'ing. Conclusion: no need for true bypass!

CLIFF/ JOE- are the relays buffered for long cable runs? ( I assume they are). Regardless, A+!!!

Yes, the True Bypass is a buffered bypass. As you've noted though it's really not needed. We put it in there for the purists but I don't use it.

Yes, the True Bypass is a buffered bypass. As you've noted though it's really not needed. We put it in there for the purists but I don't use it.
It's useful, though, for quickly checking preset levels against the dry amp.

It's useful, though, for quickly checking preset levels against the dry amp.

TIP: If you find yourself using True Bypass a lot when setting up your presets, AND you don't use the looper as much, there is a global setting that will allow you to swap the footswitch activation so that True Bypass is a Tap, and the Looper Hold.

TIP: If you find yourself using True Bypass a lot when setting up your presets, AND you don't use the looper as much, there is a global setting that will allow you to swap the footswitch activation so that True Bypass is a Tap, and the Looper Hold.

yep, that's how i have mine set. i never use the looper

All this true bypass stuff just cracks me up. I never even heard of it until I got on Internet guitar forums. It really is enlightening to get on the gear forums. You find out all your kick ass sounding gear is really junk and there's all this other stuff you're supposed to care about instead.

Here's a time saving tip. There's no need to scour the web to researching anything. If anything in your rig is readily available in just about any chain store in any city at a somewhat reasonable price, then it has to go. It doesn't matter if it plays and/or sounds great - it's simply wrong and has to go. The one caveat to this is if you spend too much. Then you are clearly a lawyer or a doctor and you automatically suck at playing. So you need to find that balance of overpriced and overhyped gear that doesn't blacklist you as a poseur. That sounds like it will require research. Not at all - I've got that solved too. When buying gear, simply go to the nearest boutique shop and by the 2nd or 3rd most expensive guitar/pedal/amp/etc. making sure that it cannot be purchased at Guitar Center or Sam Ash. You'll know you're in a boutique shop because you'll notice nobody is playing. When you go to a boutique shop you're supposed to talk about gear, not play it. Once in a while you will encounter someone playing at a boutique shop. Don't be alarmed. It's just a lawyer or doctor whos is playing it for it's one and only time before he purchases it and puts it on display.

I'm a trademark lawyer and suck at playing. I only bought an Axe-FX, and all my guitars, amps, synths, recording gear, and of course, boutique or vintage guitar pedals, just to make other people envious at my massive collection. I also built a home studio with all the money I made at being a trademark lawyer just to show all those weekend bar or pick up band players that money does buy talent and happiness.

In actuality, I know a lot of doctors and lawyers who could blow the frets off of many "professional" musicians. Perhaps they just weren't stupid enough to try to make music their professional life, but just enjoy it for what is, a hobby.

+1 Adinfinitum . . . I'm an pretty darn well paid engineer and while I'm no John Petrucci I'm not embarrased to play for real with real "musicians". The best guitarists that I personally know have the common sense not to try to make real money doing it. It's like being a PhD - if you haven't had a breakthrough by 30 then the chances are that you won't. No problem with folks out there chasing the dream but I do find it annoying when folks look down at my pro gear because I don't play professionally. Of course Vai and Satch aren't my buddies yet so there's that :)

Disconnector

+1 Adinfinitum . . . I'm an pretty darn well paid engineer and while I'm no John Petrucci I'm not embarrased to play for real with real "musicians". The best guitarists that I personally know have the common sense not to try to make real money doing it. It's like being a PhD - if you haven't had a breakthrough by 30 then the chances are that you won't. No problem with folks out there chasing the dream but I do find it annoying when folks look down at my pro gear because I don't play professionally. Of course Vai and Satch aren't my buddies yet so there's that :)

Disconnector

+1 right back at ya. I agree with the HipTim that being a gear snob is obnoxious and agree with you that everyone should "dream the dream" and go for it, whatever it is (as long as it doesn't hurt another person), but also dreamers should be prepared for disappointment, because we don't live in a talentocracy and those with the most talent sometimes sadly are the ones who end up with broken dreams.

Back
Top Bottom