Treading Carefully - Standard v Ultra

Is the standard enough for running just rhythm and lead for live?

• Yes - get the standard its got all your needs. Its got the same tone quality and your use is minimal

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No - the ultra is the way you should go.

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Lenny Mac

Hi everyone,

Looking to make my first venture into this world.

Basically i need the AxeFx solution.

However I only need two tones.

Heavy, gated rhythm and delay drenched, non gated lead.

(i have an ongoing injury and cant carry my bulky 5150 w/rack rig around anymore.

Am I right in my understanding that the Ultra might be a bit of overkill for what i will be using this for? it is just as a live solution. I dont need bells and whistles or 1000s of fx at my disposal.

I am very thankful for any advice people can give me.

Either one will happily do what you want.. However, they are BOTH discontinued and unsupported models. NO new firmware updates, and you will need to run an OLD AxeEdit version with NO USB support, etc.
From what I'm seeing on evilbay pricing on Std/UIltra, you'd be better off saving up a little bit extra $$ and getting a brand new AX8 !!
My $0.02. YMMV

Thanks s0c9 - really appreciate the advice. The AX8 looks like a great way to go.

How long has the AX8 been around? do i have a fair amount of time before that too becomes obsolete?

It's available for about a year now. Owning a AxeFx Standard and the AX8 I recommend you to go the AX8 route as well.

And honestly nobody can tell you when it will become obsolete...

Last edited:
It's available for about a year now. Owning a AxeFx Standard and the AX8 I recommend you to go the AX8 route as well.

And honestly nobody can tell you when it will become obsolete...
I bought an Ultra about a year ago and upgraded to the AX8 in December, definitely worth the extra $.

Thanks s0c9 - really appreciate the advice. The AX8 looks like a great way to go.

How long has the AX8 been around? do i have a fair amount of time before that too becomes obsolete?
As stated above.. when the AX8 becomes obsolete is up to Cliff !!
There maybe new "models" of the AX8 line that come out - as has happened with the Axe Fx 2 - with the XL and XL+ and the various MFC models. .However, they ALL use the same [basic] firmware and those are free upgrades to owners, and Cliff is pretty darn prolific with those releases.
I don't think you have to worry about obsolescence when buying an AX8 !!

Back
Top Bottom