Thoughts/advice on branding myself as an artists?

My vote would be Elias Rane.

It's always good to have a bit of your birth name mixed in with your pro name. When friends visit your gigs and call you by your name, you don't have others scratching their heads making a connection, rather everything seems to connect.

Reactions: JES
$.02 incoming... "Volt Elias", or "Rane Volt" Both sound to me like they could be a person or a band/thing that somehow seem(to me)to 'encompass' the stuff that you are doing so far...? "Rane" also seems good.

Honestly, your forum handle "Rane" is pretty good, in my opinion.

Again, you've got the possible spelling challenge, but likely a lot less potential conflict with other artists.
My first thought also

Rane and volt combo takes me back to my "get no sleep as a kid" mortal combat era ;)

Rane is a good artist name..

Cheers

I pronounced Volte as vol-tay, and Rane the same as the word 'rain' at first glance. But I'm American, and only speak English. Other nationalities might possibly not automatically pronounce it that way.

I think the reason people would tend to sound the 'e' is because we already have the word 'volt', so a person sees it spelled with the additional vowel at the end, they think it's there for a reason.

I do think Rane is catchy.

Appreciate the feedback! That makes sense. The character is a bit generic/lifeless at the moment. Elias Miller would have 4 syllables, though. Two to three syllables is generally considered best practice.
Eli Mill?

Hi guys! I'm working on some upcoming releases and I'm struggling to commit to my artist persona/brand. My thinking so far has been that my real name (Sean Miller) is too common to secure branding assets (urls and such). Sean Miller is also really saturated on streaming services, resulting in confusion in searches and with release attribution. I sketched out a branding concept for myself under the alias Elias Volte, but I'm hesitant to commit to it and personal friends seem to have a hard time giving unbiased feedback. I also considered just using "Volte" but there's multiple artists in that name space as well.

A few questions I'd like love to get some unfiltered and honest input on:

• How much of an issue do you think the uniqueness of an artist name is for discoverability and recognizability (also not getting sued)?
  • Do you think using my real name, Sean Miller, would be a hinderance for me?
  • Is my proposed alias, Elias Volte, believable? Cringe? Don't hold back.
  • The E in Volte is silent. Is that confusing?

Here's a screenshot of my artist concept page. Link: eliasvolte.com

View attachment 109845

I super appreciate advice, feedback or criticism of any kind!
Pic reminds me of Graham Bonnet. Seems dated and smacks of a big ego.

1665850392193.jpeg

Album names,
Rane all night
Rane like cats’n’dogs
Have you ever seen the Rane
Non stop Rane
Rane Rane go away
Wind and Rane
[Edit]
Some Rane must fall
Rane or shine
Right as Rane
Rane check
Rane on your parade
Make it Rane
Rane dance
Etc

Last edited:
Metalcore?

Saturated subgenre, so my suggestion is manage expectations accordingly. Do you expect to tour or get paid with this project?

iu

Are you sharing intimate marketing knowledge or personal opinion?
Just been following the genre for 15 years and spent years in a diy touring band in a somewhat adjacent genre.

Managing expectations is key, even before the pandemic made things worse.

Just been following the genre for 15 years and spent years in a diy touring band in a somewhat adjacent genre.

Managing expectations is key, even before the pandemic made things worse.
I understand. It I think managing expectations is a euphemism for preparing to fail.
I believe that one has to be willing to go all out and rise above those “managing expectations”.
And as someone said, you have to shoot the moon just to clear the top of the trees.

I think Elias Rane is prety good. For one thing, it passes the Spotify test (There's no one with that name on Spotify but there's already an artist on there named Rane) and it has a good ring to it.

I've long had the opinion that it doesn't much matter what you name yourself if your music is really good. You could be "Booger Bubbles" and if they can't stop playing your music, the name will grow on them and they'll make excuses for how edgy you are. Name a band with music (not a one-hit wonder) that everyone loves and yet they hate the name?

Back
Top Bottom