Thoughts/advice on branding myself as an artists?

I've long had the opinion that it doesn't much matter what you name yourself if your music is really good. You could be "Booger Bubbles" and if they can't stop playing your music, the name will grow on them and they'll make excuses for how edgy you are. Name a band with music (not a one-hit wonder) that everyone loves and yet they hate the name?
Death Cab for Cutie

I've long had the opinion that it doesn't much matter what you name yourself if your music is really good. You could be "Booger Bubbles" and if they can't stop playing your music, the name will grow on them and they'll make excuses for how edgy you are. Name a band with music (not a one-hit wonder) that everyone loves and yet they hate the name?
Butthole Surfers.

iu
Tattoo probably hurts less....

Death Cab for Cutie
Really, all band names are dumb. I mean, look at the most well known. AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Cream, Beatles, Metallica. Any one of us would've criticized the name during it's creation, yet it doesn't matter because the music matters more.

I understand. It I think managing expectations is a euphemism for preparing to fail.
I believe that one has to be willing to go all out and rise above those “managing expectations”.
And as someone said, you have to shoot the moon just to clear the top of the trees.
The industry doesn't care if you go all out, never has. It's all about connections and how easy you are to sell.

We had connections with people who dealt with the big names of our style, we were published in Alternative Press multiple times and our last full length was on the same list as Slipknot - still didn't take off at all.

Manage expectations. If this is OP "going for it", we should be aware of that.

Tattoo probably hurts less....

I’ve been burned many times in restaurant kitchens and I have a ton of tattoos, I can definitely confirm that getting burned hurts worse, never mind when it’s being pushed into your skin for an extended period of time to ensure the brand is even and in there deep!

Last edited:
My 2 cents. The name that popped into my head after listening to a few seconds of "All The Time" is Elias Rane (song sounds great BTW). My first thought is Country music and the name "Elias Rane" with Elias as three syllables and Rane as one just flows well. You could pronounce Elias a few different ways but seems to fit IMO.

Back
Top Bottom