This is the Saddest Picture I've Seen All Year

Everything comes to an end someday.
I still have an LG2 in excellent condition and with a new display. Not using it actually having an FM3 with a Voes MX5 added, but waiting for the day I can find and pay me an Axe Fx 3, or maybe if my band will be playing more often (actually 5-6 gigs a year 😂) I will program it for stage use so not to have all that cables running on stage on front of my feet but just one power over midi cable to the fm3 in backline.
These are IMHO the best serial product midi controllers ever produced. It can do anything up to time or midiclock based sequencing sending scene change or controllers values.
As much setlist as you want, with additional midi commands per song (like tempo settings, scene settings etc etc). You can have the tuner onboard.
The tiny box is made for FCB1010 which is a controller I have had for years but getting old, oversized dimensions and onboard expression pedals that I don't like anymore.

I've been following the Tiny Box. I really dislike the Behringer controller.
When I needed something better than the Ground Control for Axe Fx II, I started looking and found the Gordius stuff... But finding one for sale was a challenge.

I learned about the UnO chip and found an FCB-1010 with one installed for under $100.

I didn't think I'd like the switches or the built-in expression pedals, but I really wanted to learn about the programming to see if it would work.

I was wrong about the switches, and actually found the expression pedals were fine except I kept accidentally moving both because they're too close together.

I liked that it uses a standard IEC power cable, too.

The programming capability was amazing!

I was considering creating some form of "fence" between the 2 pedals to allow me to prevent accidental misfires when a used LGX-2 became available and I snatched that up.

For the money, they can't be beat and they are very durable. Add a better brain (which is what the Gordius originally was - a separately contained brain for the FCB like Tinybox) and it's a powerful solution for a decent price.

Funny story:

While I was learning some of the complexities of the Gordius programming, I was trading emails with Xavier. In one email I mentioned that with the included capabilities, I could actually use the Gordius to do what (then fairly new feature of the Axe Fx II) scenes provided.

Xavier intimated that Cliff had basically "appropriated" scenes based off of this...

Edit:

See my post below of the actual email. My wording above was my own interpretation and based on memory from 10 years ago

Last edited:
When I needed something better than the Ground Control for Axe Fx II, I started looking and found the Gordius stuff... But finding one for sale was a challenge.

I learned about the UnO chip and found an FCB-1010 with one installed for under $100.

I didn't think I'd like the switches or the built-in expression pedals, but I really wanted to learn about the programming to see if it would work.

I was wrong about the switches, and actually found the expression pedals were fine except I kept accidentally moving both because they're too close together.

I was considering creating some form of "fence" between the 2 pedals to allow me to prevent accidental misfires when a used LGX-2 became available and I snatched that up.

For the money, they can't be beat and they are very durable. Add a better brain (which is what the Gordius originally was - a separately contained brain for the FCB like Tinybox) and it's a powerful solution for a decent price.

Funny story:

While I was learning some of the complexities of the Gordius programming, I was trading emails with Xavier. In one email I mentioned that with the included capabilities, I could actually use the Gordius to do what (then fairly new feature of the Axe Fx II) scenes provided.

Xavier intimated that Cliff had basically "appropriated" scenes based off of this...
Since I've never used or even seen a Gordius that's quite the accusation.

Not that you need defending, but yeah, that guy's claim seems a bit preposterous. I really wished that Scenes were a thing when I had my Standard and had to bang out CC settings via the footswitches on my el cheapo Peak FCB4N MIDI controller; the concept of a "preset within a preset" is hardly novel.

Last edited:
Happy LG2 owner/user here, too. Since 2008 if memory serves me right. Had to get a new display 1,5 years ago. Service by and communication with Xavier was as great and immediate as ever. Top notch.
Really sad to see him quit Gordius officially.

I didn't give it much credence, but the comment has stuck with me...

And after years of interaction with you here, I am very confident you're not the type of person who does that type of thing.

I just found the email exchange from 2013:
I could in effect implement "scenes" with LG-FCB even if the Axe FX did not support that
Indeed, that's what I read on the fractal forum too :
"No need for scenes with the Gordius as a scene is a preset with certain IAs activated and a level for each scene. Since you don't have a limit on the number of presets in the Gordius, you can create as many combinations as you like."
( although you will never hear that from Fractal, their scenes were based on the capabilities of the LG2, which used to be popular for Axe-FX control before the own floorboard was released )

Edit:

To be fair, he did say "Fractal" and not "Cliff". I guess I took that as implied...

Very sad indeed....
The Gordius programming capabilities are still unsurpassed.
The dynamic memory alone....brilliant
If it only had the little screens like the GT22 I would've kept it.

"based on" is a little less accusatory than "appropriated", even though the LG2 wasn't an influence for scenes in the Axe. His intent may have been misinterpreted. He may have meant "similar too", as Belgian and US expressions and language habits may differ. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Emails can be tricky, as I've learned the hard way. To be fair, the LG2 is so powerful and flexible that I can't think of a feature that it offers that isn't reflected in any other controller in existence (aside from UI). Its functionality is completely over the top, as is the memory. Many fine controllers exist, including Fractal and RJM, but the LG2 was the perfect fit for me. I'm so entrenched in it that I can't realistically see me reprogramming a new unit from scratch, otherwise, I'd go with a Fractal. I think it was too complicated for its own good and support became a problem. And the screen problem was a real issue. I bought four spare screens. The major bummer is that the setlist function is broken in the final firmware and will never be fixed.

Seems that the majority of my gear is always out of production. Finding spare units and parts is a never-ending process.

@voes I am sure you been mentioned here... Seems to be popular product, couldnt you pick it up... a fund me page of sorts... I havent used it but I gladly put in 100 bux just to see it survive.

"based on" is a little less accusatory than "appropriated", even though the LG2 wasn't an influence for scenes in the Axe. His intent may have been misinterpreted. He may have meant "similar too", as Belgian and US expressions and language habits may differ. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Emails can be tricky, as I've learned the hard way.
True, that was my own choice of words... And my own interpretation of what was said.

Perhaps not but apparently Matt had a LG2 and had been contacted by Xavier of Gordius on several occasions

Funny story:

Edit:

See my post below of the actual email. My wording above was my own interpretation and based on memory from 10 years ago
Except the part of Xavier suggesting scenes came from Gordius (genious ! :D) I can only confirm your experience; By the time i guess I got close to expert level with theFCB1010 and with the editor where you can actually monitor the midi data flow in HEX code it's a great way to get acquainted with the midi functions. Also Xavier has always been readily available and took time to get into more complex issues. I guess he needed to turn that page and after such a long period it's normal IMHO.

Xavier is a stand-up guy so I'm sure there's some miscommunication somewhere. Let's not blow this out of proportion.

I hate to see anyone with a quality and innovative product go belly up. Sorry to hear about this one, even though I’ve never used anything from Gordius.

Let’s not let the original of “Scenes” get out of hand. Scenes have been available in venue lighting for decades, ever since midi control was introduced. It’s the same concept, with saved states of on/off and such. The application of this to any midi foot controller is an evolution, not an invention someone could have appropriated. Cliff’s use of it in the Axe Fx was genius because of how he did it, it’s “built into the unit” presentation, and it’s application to us. Scene Controllers and Channels took it even farther. I’m sure the Gordius guy had some of his own innovations to the concept that made it something people loved using. But “scenes” as a concept and application existed before either the Axe Fx or Gordius were invented, and were called ”Scenes” long ago.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom