Things you regret selling. And a word about toilet paper.

I keep thinking if there's a guitar that I sold that I loved in hindsight, but I can't think of any. There are things that I lost that I bitterly regret, including my favorite guitar. But as far as the OP is concerned the only thing that comes to mind is selling one of those 80's Boss pedal cases full of pedals for €200 to the singer of a former band of mine. With all 80's Boss pedals in them. Including a MIJ BF-2 and DD-2. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

As for toilet paper, the university where I work switched toilet paper supplier a year ago, which meant different dispensers. And I scored a free box full of old rolls. I'm still wiping my botty with them.

I had a Martin DCX1E (with the HPL back and sides and spruce top) I loved that I regret selling. It was one of the ones made in Nazareth (before they moved production of lower end models to Mexico). Rent was due, though, and that was the only way I could keep a roof over my head. I also had a Mesa DC5 combo I regretted selling, until I got an Axe FX II.

Oh yeah, and I use the TP trick in the springs of my PRS. Right now I have a dryer sheet in there. Better toanz, better smell. Well, better smell at least.

Two guitars that i sold I regret now:

1989 spruce top and squarish headstock Fender Gemini-II-E acoustic guitar with rosewood finger board & built in contact pickup. I sold it to a friend I later lost touch with, because he lusted after that guitar as the one that would inspire him to learn how to play. It ended up not doing so. That built in contact pickup sounded so much better than any piezo I ever heard and it was really Gibson like in its comfort.

1990 Yamaha RGX-611 in blue sparkle with maple satin neck, jumbo frets, coil tappable humbucker and neck single coil. It was a real stunt guitar and was really fun to play. The Yamaha locking tremolo was a nightmare to keep in tune & change strings. I should have just invested in locking tuners for it and toughed it out rather than selling it over that pain point. What a great feeling and sounding guitar. And I had the matching rotoform hard shell case for it.

Ah the folly of youth

Last edited:
I had a 76 Les Paul Deluxe, natural.
On a whim, at a guitar show, I traded for a Warrior double cut. (traded directly with Warrior).
The Warrior is a really nice guitar....but it's not a Les Paul :(

Biggest gear selling regret? Back in the early 90s I sent a Jackson neck through Tele w/Floyd & pink snakeskin finish to Europe. Never seen another like it before or since. So what I'm saying is I guess I have no real regrets. :D

A Marshall JCM800 2210 that I bought in Europe. There was something about that specific amp that was almost as though the sounds came out before I actually hit the strings. It was freaking massive sounding.

I sold it to fund something else figuring I'd just buy another Marshall that would sound and feel exactly the same. Youth and inexperience did not save the day.....

I regret selling my dark purple Jackson Soloist over 20 years ago. It was one of the first few guitars I had bought but one of the pickups stopped working in it, so I brought it to get repaired and the salesmen clearly knew I didn't know anything about guitars and told me the guitar wasn't repairable and offered me $100 towards another guitar, so I ended up with a Samick!

I regret selling my Triaxis and 290 to @Brock because I took really good care of it and it was practically new but it got damaged during shipping. USPS paid for the repair but Mesa Boogie took over a month to repair it and didn't fix it the first time, so it had to go back a second time. Thankfully Brock was really patient and was able to get the Phat Mod removed during the repair, so it worked out in his favor.

I regret not buying a friends Marshall JCM 900 DSL 100 amp that had gotten damaged and needed major repair, so once it was fixed it no longer sounded like the amp but it sounded amazing. I'm sure I can get the sound in the Axe-Fx II but I wish I would have bought it as a reference.

I still have 11 7 string guitars in almost new condition that I should sell because I never use them but I 'm afraid I'll regret it and I'd have a hard time finding them again in the condition they're in. When I find something I like, I have a habit of buying 2, so I have a backup. I bought most of the guitars below as NOS in the early 2000's because they were on eBay and I was the only person that bid on them, so I sometimes won 4 guitars at once when I only wanted one :rolleyes:

Epiphone Les Paul Classic 7 Transparent Black with EMG 707 and 781 active pickups
Epiphone Les Paul Classic 7 Transparent Black
Epiphone Les Paul Classic 7 Sunburst
Epiphone Les Paul Classic 7 Sunburst
Epiphone Korina Flying V 7 Black
Dean ML X7 Metallic Charcoal
ESP LTD H-207 Transparent Red
ESP LTD H-207 Transparent Black
Schecter Jazz 7 Sunburst - I had a red one too but I sold it to a friend who really wanted it but I haven't regretted it yet

I tend to buy guitars but not sell them. Of all the ones I no longer own, the two biggest regrets were losses due to theft. I had a '67 Les Paul Custom and a '77 ES-335 stolen out of my van after a gig one night. But as a silver lining, I replaced the two of them with a BC Rich Mockingbird. It was one of the very first ones Bernie Rico built...a prototype of the Mockingbird model line.

I did trade a late '80s Ibanez RG550 in mint condition for a new MIM Strat a few years ago. I probably got the short end of that stick monetarily, but for my current needs, the Strat has gotten a lot more use, so no real regrets.

If I didn't pass all my old gear along(sell), I would have never been able to experience owning the hundreds of guitars, amps and effects over the years! I get a kick out of sending them along on their journey.

I regret trading awan an Engl e530 preamp. I don't need it for my rig, but it's nice to have options.

I really regret selling my mint condition 1999 Ibanez rg7620. It had the original receipt in the case for $1100 and I got it for $300. I didn't really play it much, but they are rare and it was a cool collector piece.

Back
Top Bottom