Things you regret selling. And a word about toilet paper.

Desmo808

Experienced
My very first guitar was a Kramer Focus. This was in the 80s. I scalloped the fretboard because I thought I was Yngwie Malmsteen (that didn't pan out). I shaved the back of the neck to give it a wizard profile, before wizard necks were even a thing. I changed the bridge pickup to a Gibson PAF, which my Sunday school teacher gave me. I thought it looked cool because the PAF had a gold cover.

I wish I still had that guitar. I sold it with the PAF. I'm an idiot. If I only knew what those things would be worth today. This is the only guitar I've ever sold. I don't even remember why I sold it. The neck is probably warped though, because of what I did to it.

Toilet paper.
On a bunch of other forums, I've heard that Steve Vai stuffs toilet paper in the tremolo spring cavity of his guitars to stop the sympathetic spring vibrations. I tried it to one of my Strats using Kleenex (too lazy to walk to bathroom), and placebo effect or not, I perceive that it gets rid of that internal spring reverb. I didn't really notice it was there until I actually dampened it.

BTW thought of the day--best tone TP? :nomouth:

I think he uses tissue if that matters...

With whammy bar tricks- I would get a lot of noise- so- i'd let go and the springs themselves would ring out- the tissue helps- so they don't ring on their own.

I really regret selling a wah pedal... At the offer I got I couldn't afford to not say no- I had a 1967 Clyde McCoy real deal holy grail wah- I sold it for like $1250 which is the highest I think they've ever gone for- but I still regret it- it sounded so good

Toilet paper.
On a bunch of other forums, I've heard that Steve Vai stuffs toilet paper in the tremolo spring cavity of his guitars to stop the sympathetic spring vibrations. I tried it to one of my Strats using Kleenex (too lazy to walk to bathroom), and placebo effect or not, I perceive that it gets rid of that internal spring reverb. I didn't really notice it was there until I actually dampened it.

BTW thought of the day--best tone TP? :nomouth:

I use either cotton balls stuffed under the claw end or a strip of foam from Seymour Duncan pick up boxes. Both do the job so whatever is easier to come by at the time.

Sold a Rocktron Prophecy II for $400.
I pad $2600 for it in Sydney.
Lost $2200 in two years. Should have kept it for the cleans.
*snif*

I have but one gear-selling regret: I sold my UV777GR -- the one with the maple board and disappearing neon pyramids -- just before I went to university.

Dearly regret that. Should have kept it. I haven't been able to buy in back 20 years later. :(

I have 2 regrets.

Regret 1 was selling my old Guild Thunderbird. It was burst and had the built in guitar stand in the back. It was, and remains the best looking guitar. Such a cool vibe. With all of the filters and stuff built in, it had a lot of different tonal possibilities.

Regret 2 was selling my 1965 Gibson SG. It was the rare cream color with gold hardware and the Maestro whammy bar. I sold it to buy a Martin D-41 which I still have. I was getting into finger-picking big time (ala Leo Kotke) and loved the sound of the Martin. It was back in my Kumbayah period.

I do not stuff my spring cavity with anything.

Last edited:
Oh the gear sale regrets, how they haunt me. Too many to list, but if I had to pick one, probably letting a 1983 Fender Strat Elite go. Not because it was worth a ton, but because it was unique. Only pic I have of it is from a work Halloween dress up day back in 90, or there about.

Attachments

• EJasSRV.jpg
    EJasSRV.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 35
My first bass, the mighty Ibanez Black Eagle, pure OTT '70's..sold it to fund my next bass, the mighty Maton JB4 Fretless, fantastic Aussie made, rare as hens teeth (serial number 399, so if anyone out there has it...)...sold it to fund my next guitar, the not terribly mighty but still quite interesting Casio PG 380, featuring onboard General Midi!...sold it to fund my current guitar, the mighty Parker Fly Deluxe, which has been my main guitar for nigh on 23 years now.

Then there was the Wurlitzer electric piano, sold it to fund my car rego back somewhere in the 80's....and so on and so forth...

*sigh.

I aint never selling nothing again.

My first bass, the mighty Ibanez Black Eagle, pure OTT '70's..sold it to fund my next bass, the mighty Maton JB4 Fretless, fantastic Aussie made, rare as hens teeth (serial number 399, so if anyone out there has it...)...sold it to fund my next guitar, the not terribly mighty but still quite interesting Casio PG 380, featuring onboard General Midi!...sold it to fund my current guitar, the mighty Parker Fly Deluxe, which has been my main guitar for nigh on 23 years now.

Then there was the Wurlitzer electric piano, sold it to fund my car rego back somewhere in the 80's....and so on and so forth...

*sigh.

I aint never selling nothing again.
I I have spent my life not selling any of my purchases..and have ended up with far too much gear for my needs..but I still have my PG -380! (And my Parker Fly Mojo..)

I I have spent my life not selling any of my purchases..and have ended up with far too much gear for my needs..but I still have my PG -380! (And my Parker Fly Mojo..)

Dude!

AND you're a Zappa fan! (as all should be..)

The PG-380...actually not too bad a guitar if memory serves me. That guitar got me my first real money gig..

Yeah...i must admit my "collection" has grown somewhat, actually am thinking about thinning it a little...I mean, i love the Grafton alto sax i've had for the last 20 years, and used maybe 5 times...likewise the Yamaha WX 7... a Roland Paraphonic...vintage mono reel to reel... the complete set of batucada drums that my GF bought because...well i'm actually still not sure of the because ...stuff in that big pile in storage that i can't even remember what's in there anymore...

Last edited:
Dude!

AND you're a Zappa fan! (as all should be..)

The PG-380...actually not too bad a guitar if memory serves me. That guitar got me my first real money gig..

Yeah...i must admit my "collection" has grown somewhat, actually am thinking about thinning it a little...I mean, i love the Grafton alto sax i've had for the last 20 years, and used maybe 5 times...likewise the Yamaha WX 7... a Roland Paraphonic...vintage mono reel to reel... the complete set of batucada drums that my GF bought because...well i'm actually still not sure of the because ...stuff in that big pile in storage that i can't even remember what's in there anymore...
Yes pg 380 Is an axe ahead of its time to be sure, and a quality superstrat made in the same Ibanez factory at the same time as the earliest Jems....

This thread makes me question my recent chain of thought regarding selling a guitar.

I'm thinking of selling my explorer - it's a GOTM model from 2008, only 1000 made.
I just don't play it and has GAS for a PRS 594, which this sale would help fund (and keep the wife somewhat happy that my collection isn't growing..)

This isn't my exact guitar, but looks the same.

What to do....

DSX50BRGH1_Explorer_g4.jpg

no trem, toilet paper not required...

Back in the early '90s I traded an original tweed Champ (plus $200 cash) for a used Ibanez RG665 with a repaired neck.

Years later, I realized that I should have been able to get the guitar plus cash for that amp!

However, the guitar is really rare and was a Japan-only model (didn't know at the time)... And it hooked me for life on Ibanez guitars!

It has the absolute thinnest of the Wizard necks I have ever played and it's a bit narrower at the nut.

So... Sort of a regret sale :)

It would have been nice to keep it all, but for most of my life buying something new meant something had to go. I don't necessarily regret it because I normally got something great in the trade. I did have a nice 72 Gibson SG Deluxe, which had an LP style pickguard and rear mounted controls (not the hideous half moon cover), and the embossed pickups, which sell for more than the guitar these days. I've had a lot of nice ones, but it's all good. I had great fun and made a lot of music. it's almost funny how there aren't many pictures from those days ever showing the same guitar twice!

More recently, I've been keeping things and that's resulted in 20-odd guitars, a dozen amps, and assorted other music gear in the room. It's still great to play all of it, and musicians coming over always have something to jam on. 41 years after picking up the guitar, I still am glad I did, even after all the departed guitars I once shared a stage with.

(Julio Inglesias voice) "to all the guitars I've loved before..."

Oh yeah... no TP in my guitars. If I recall B&B, that is for my bunghole

Last edited:
It would have been nice to keep it all, but for most of my life buying something new meant something had to go. I don't necessarily regret it because I normally got something great in the trade. I did have a nice 72 Gibson SG Deluxe, which had an LP style pickguard and rear mounted controls (not the hideous half moon cover), and the embossed pickups, which sell for more than the guitar these days. I've had a lot of nice ones, but it's all good. I had great fun and made a lot of music. it's almost funny how there aren't many pictures from those days ever showing the same guitar twice!

More recently, I've been keeping things and that's resulted in 20-odd guitars, a dozen amps, and assorted other music gear in the room. It's still great to play all of it, and musicians coming over always have something to jam on. 41 years after picking up the guitar, I still am glad I did, even after all the departed guitars I once shared a stage with.

(Julio Inglesias voice) "to all the guitars I've loved before..."

Oh yeah... no TP in my guitars. If I recall B&B, that is for my bunghole

Heh heh.....bunghole ...huh huh....

This thread makes me question my recent chain of thought regarding selling a guitar.

I'm thinking of selling my explorer - it's a GOTM model from 2008, only 1000 made.
I just don't play it and has GAS for a PRS 594, which this sale would help fund (and keep the wife somewhat happy that my collection isn't growing..)

This isn't my exact guitar, but looks the same.

What to do....

DSX50BRGH1_Explorer_g4.jpg

no trem, toilet paper not required...

That is sweet! Little devil on shoulder: :smilingimp: Play it a bit tonight, and I'm sure you'll remember why you bought it in the first place. Unless you're in a situation where one must go to make room for another, think it over some more before selling. At least for me, post-mortem regret from selling lasts longer than the time it would take to save up to buy a new guitar outright.

Only if you're the great cornholio ;)
Last name, Munch... First name, Rodney.... uh-huh-huh-huh... Rod Munch.

Back
Top Bottom