The Slash Tone

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor

I don't currently have a Les Paul so my PRS had to do. :)

There are the settings I used:

afd_settings.jpg

And I used the SM57 A4 IR from this collection: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-user-cabs-irs/86371-clark-kents-teh-dollar-sound-irs.html

Nice. Very spacious. Double tracked nicely.

Off the top of my head the vibe of Sweet child would do nicely.
Direct comparison shows a bit more sizzle in the original and some midscoopage. And way more ambiance. Still, amp seems goooooood.

Sounding awesome superman! Can't wait to play with the new models this weekend!

As for the manual for the real amp saying Slash's settings are all at 6, I'm not really sure if its his live setting or not, but its possible because he uses his volume & tone pots a lot when playing live to change up the sound a good bit. I do the same thing even with all the options in the Axe Fx XL. Roll the volume back a lil bit when making a patch so that when I need a lil more boost in the mix, just roll it forward. Same thing with the tone pot, if I need a lil more top end, roll it up, if its too bright for something, roll it back just a hair. Call me old school I guess, but it really helps more than you think, if you know how to use the controls on the guitar properly ;) Its crazy how well the guitar's volume and tone clean up in the axe just like a real tube amp! No other digital modeler I've ever tried even comes close. :D

you got to get a Les Paul Clark, nice tones, but still sounds like a PRS. :) and that is not a bad thing at all, just not the correct depth in Slash Tones.

you got to get a Les Paul Clark, nice tones, but still sounds like a PRS. :) and that is not a bad thing at all, just not the correct depth in Slash Tones.

I wonder if my new custom singlecut with PRS trem & 24 3/4" scale will get me close because a lot of the Les Paul tone comes from the shorter scale length and the vibration pattern of the strings due to the short scale :geek

I dunno man, that preset looks pretty complicated :)

After my latest comparisons with real life counterparts (Mark IV, EVH, Orange...) I have no reason to have more complicated patches than this. :D

I didn't actually compare my sound to the original at all. I just took Slash's latest live amp settings and they sounded good... pressed record and done.

No need to complicate things when it sounds this good out of the box. ;)

I wonder if my new custom singlecut with PRS trem & 24 3/4" scale will get me close because a lot of the Les Paul tone comes from the shorter scale length and the vibration pattern of the strings due to the short scale :geek

If it has the same pickups as Slash it will most likely sound close. I don't think the PRS neck pickup is meant to sound like a Les Paul. Personally I owned a Gibson Traditional Les Paul 6 months ago that I traded for the PRS that I used in this clip. I simply would never gig with a Les Paul since it's so unergonomic and heavy. Anyways Slash's sound (especially lead sound) is all about the Les Paul neck pickup sustain. And sure... it was the 80's when AFD came out so a crazy amount of reverb and no low end for guitars is how it's done. :D

Did a lot of jamming with the AFS 1 model yesterday and recorded a little bit of noodling to hear how it tracks. I'm using a PRS too, late 90's Custom 22, neck pickup. I wasn't trying to match Slash's tone in particular, just trying to dial in my own idea of a nice pushed Marshal tone. I think this one is my favorite Marshal model in the Axe right now, really like it.

Cheers,
Brian

If it has the same pickups as Slash it will most likely sound close. I don't think the PRS neck pickup is meant to sound like a Les Paul. Personally I owned a Gibson Traditional Les Paul 6 months ago that I traded for the PRS that I used in this clip. I simply would never gig with a Les Paul since it's so unergonomic and heavy. Anyways Slash's sound (especially lead sound) is all about the Les Paul neck pickup sustain. And sure... it was the 80's when AFD came out so a crazy amount of reverb and no low end for guitars is how it's done. :D

It won't be PRS pickups for sure on this one. DiMarzio AT-1 Bridge & PAF 36th Anniversary neck. Also, its not a PRS, I just prefer their bridges (actually its a Mann Made USA one piece bridge) and pots as apposed to the rest of the offerings on the market lol.

It won't be PRS pickups for sure on this one. DiMarzio AT-1 Bridge & PAF 36th Anniversary neck. Also, its not a PRS, I just prefer their bridges (actually its a Mann Made USA one piece bridge) and pots as apposed to the rest of the offerings on the market lol.

I got both pups... 36th is fatter than the Slash pups... Sounds great though.

AT-1 in an alder/rosewood guitar. My favourite bridge along with Suhr Aldrich.

Last edited:
Just checked the track. Really cool sounding Clark!!
The first tones remind me of the opening "Man on the Silver Mountain" with Rainbow.
Try the same sound and play the opening riff there ;)
Man what a band.... :D

Back
Top Bottom