The new MATRIX GT800FX. THE amp for THE Axe-Fx

It's always nerve wracking getting a new piece of gear based on just reviews or youtube vids. I felt the same way about the Axe FX and even my H&K Switchblade amp. Both were excellent purchases as it turned out. The smile I had on my face when I first tried the GT800 was immense. Just like when I first plugged the Axe FX in. Now to just find the perfect FRFR speaker!

Any idea of the price range for the TT 1x12 cabs with the EVM's?

Mark,
That depends on a lot of choices you need to make. For example which 112, what Tolex, what colour, what hardware, what grill cloth and what colour, what Ohm you want the speaker, etc etc.

So better just send your inquiry to Dirk get yourself informed about the choises and what you want. Take your time for this. And Dirk will certainly help you out. TT-cabs customer orientation is in the same leage as Matrix Amplification and G66.

Enjoy the ride.

Due to a reluctant FAS server here it is again.

Any idea of the price range for the TT 1x12 cabs with the EVM's?

Mark,
That depends on a lot of choices you need to make. For example which 112, what Tolex, what colour, what hardware, what grill cloth and what colour, what Ohm you want the speaker, etc etc.

So better just send your inquiry to Dirk get yourself informed about the choises and what you want. Take your time for this. And Dirk will certainly help you out. TT-cabs customer orientation is in the same leage as Matrix Amplification and G66.

Enjoy the ride.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I got my Matrix a few weeks ago and I've been messing about with it and the Axe (not had that long either), however I'm finding the Axe/Matrix combination seems a bit lifeless compared to my Valve head (Mesa Stiletto), as much as I'm trying to like the combination, it's just not sounding good to me. Are there any tweaks people recommend to add some life into it?

Yes, power amps on, Cab sims off (I'm going through a standard Guitar 2x12 cab).

Compared to my Mesa, it sounds like it's got a blanket over the cab, very dull..

:(

Last edited:
Yes, power amps on, Cab sims off (I'm going through a standard Guitar 2x12 cab).

Compared to my Mesa, it sounds like it's got a blanket over the cab, very dull..

:(

Si,

At last someone who does not like it. Man I was waiting for this for a long time :)

It is clear that we need some tuning tips here. So the help of Smilefan and Yek or Claxor is needed here. Can not help you my self yet because my big retweak will start tomorrow. Also sharing some patches would be cool.

There are some tips at the thread called "EVM12L and GT800FX"

Hope you will solve this.

Greetings

I think most people that have used Mesa power stages have had to do some re-tweaking when going to SS as the Mesa colours the sound somewhat. Maybe best starting with a patch from scratch if you haven't already done so, or as DADA says, drop a patch by so that those of us with Matrix's can point you in the right tweaking direction.

I just picked up a Carvin HD1500 and love it. I had the same issue for the most part as I was coming from a Carvin TS-100 Tube amp. The TS just seems to sound fuller right out of the gate. With a very small amount of tweeking it comes to life. SS amps just color the sound a little different is all.

Or rather SS amps dont colour the sound but tube ones do :)

Anyway si, is it the tone, or the response?

i have been re-writing my patches using a flat EQ with the Matrix, BUT when I was trying to A/B the VHT power amp with the Matrix, my patches were designed on the VHT.

it wont be the same as the Mesa, but will be similar.

Try: on the global,

63 hx +0.5bd
125hz +1.0bd
250hz +0.3db
500hz -0.3db
2k +0.5db
4k +1db
8k +0.5db

Then, increase the Sag for patches with high master. if you want more openness, increase the damp - if you want it more compressed decrease the damp

raise the prescence in the amp sim slighty (a full point or so) and look at the B+. increasing it will make it tighter and more defined, decreasing will add roundness and bounce.

Ultimately, any patch designed with one method will always sound worse with another. its not the amp itself, but the patch design. i know thats often spoken but it is true.

Really wish we could hook up and go through this in person, but location location location. The patches you sent me I found hard to like, but more beacuse it was a typical cutting, middy marshall tone which isnt me. If it was that one I could take a lok and try and give it some sizzle. if not send me the patch and I ll have a play. Were using differnt cabs - mine having a bass port and a V30/G12h aniv combo - BUt i should be able to get some tweeks in the right direction. Trying to describe whats right and wrong isnt easy either - we all have different views of the same descriptions.

I finally found the bottom end I'd been looking for (but which was missing) last night using a parametric EQ as opposed to a graphic. Hope that might help someone.

Or rather SS amps dont colour the sound but tube ones do :)

Anyway si, is it the tone, or the response?

i have been re-writing my patches using a flat EQ with the Matrix, BUT when I was trying to A/B the VHT power amp with the Matrix, my patches were designed on the VHT.

it wont be the same as the Mesa, but will be similar.

Try: on the global,

63 hx +0.5bd
125hz +1.0bd
250hz +0.3db
500hz -0.3db
2k +0.5db
4k +1db
8k +0.5db

Then, increase the Sag for patches with high master. if you want more openness, increase the damp - if you want it more compressed decrease the damp

raise the prescence in the amp sim slighty (a full point or so) and look at the B+. increasing it will make it tighter and more defined, decreasing will add roundness and bounce.

Ultimately, any patch designed with one method will always sound worse with another. its not the amp itself, but the patch design. i know thats often spoken but it is true.

Really wish we could hook up and go through this in person, but location location location. The patches you sent me I found hard to like, but more beacuse it was a typical cutting, middy marshall tone which isnt me. If it was that one I could take a lok and try and give it some sizzle. if not send me the patch and I ll have a play. Were using differnt cabs - mine having a bass port and a V30/G12h aniv combo - BUt i should be able to get some tweeks in the right direction. Trying to describe whats right and wrong isnt easy either - we all have different views of the same descriptions.

I'll try those settings, thanks.

I've given up on that patch I sent you a while ago, didn't really like it myself either :) so I've started on a new one..

Just be aware, that I have cab sims disabled globally as I use a real 2x12. While there are cab sims in the patch - I put them there for a couple af recordings I have done. It has not been tried through anything other than 5" monitors and phones. You may have to tweek the settings or cabs in general to your tastes.

Also be aware the gain in the amp sim is set up to "toggle" with a modifyer (set to cc 39) - so if you want to play with gain levels to taste you'll need to disable the modifyer.

all the FX bar ther everb are off by default. Again I use a psudo pedalboard setup, so you can play with the blocks as you wish.

Back
Top Bottom