The new MATRIX GT800FX. THE amp for THE Axe-Fx

Is it safe to use the GT800FX in bridged mode with an Orange PPC412 which is rated at 240W RMS at 16 ohms?
Yes if your maximum peak is at -3dB. You'd have blood spilling from your hears running the amp that loud.

The custom cable has to connect only to the two hot terminals on the speaker outs, it's clearly described in the manual.

Indeed. To use bridged mode you need to take one tap from each side of the O/P.

On the Art SLA for instance, you connect ti the two centre posts (the neg from each side I think) - however with the GT because it has single wired O/Ps you cant do that. #

Using the speakons you can, because they have 4 poles - jut with jacks only having two you cant. What you need to do is disconnect the jack plug from one end of you speaker cable, and connect a Speakon plug to it - with the two wirs connected as per the Matrix manual. Its not a difficult job as long as your OK with an iron.

I did suggest that they add a 3rd jack o/p pre-wired fo bridged mode, however they said no - because they have to assume everyone is stupid. If your fumbling in the dark - and connect your 120W cab to the wrong socket it WILL go bang with the same settings you'd normally use mono. Aldo the power the single o/p is capable of pushing, isnt really good on a jack plug. There not designed to take that power - and could actually melt. Its why speakons are used for higher power applications.

And yes - the matrix will give you around 500W into 16 Ohms when bridged - which is about right in to a 240W cab (gives you headroom).

I have an ART SLA-2. I am interested in this amp but what can I expect by purchasing a GT800FX over my ART which sounds pretty good already.

I have an ART SLA-2. I am interested in this amp but what can I expect by purchasing a GT800FX over my ART which sounds pretty good already.

I also had the SLA ART 2 before the GT800FX. Just read the beginning of this thread and the mentioned links there. You will have to do some reading :)

Cheers

I know Dada and Mr Friendly both have the ART and Matrix and PaulMapp had the ART before the VHT. The diffenence my be subtle in sound until a lot of volume is used but purely from a non-sound perspective, there's reduced weight, better connectivity and increased power. IIRC someone mentioned a "blanket" being removed when switching from ART to Matrix. Hopefully the owners of both amps can chime in!

Former Velocity300 owner here, I was sold to the Matrix pretty much in a few hours thanks to this introductory thread, and a big thanks to DADA on being active with this one :) already paid for the amp, now a waiting man!

-Tuukka

Former Velocity300 owner here, I was sold to the Matrix pretty much in a few hours thanks to this introductory thread, and a big thanks to DADA on being active with this one :) already paid for the amp, now a waiting man!

-Tuukka

Thanks tuux0rz!

Please share your opinion of the GT800FX after you tested it, here and the whole world. Please inform us which cab and drivers you are using with it.

And also YOU are welcomed to the "no need for tubes" club.

Cheers

Just a quick hint/tip/tweek to try.

It has been noted that the Matrix is a little stiffer in response compare to a valve amp like the VHT. Well for some styles thats actually good - but for clean, and that old school low/mid gain rock/blues that needs some roundness and bounce - change the B+ value in the advanced pages. Lowering it adds some bounce and roundness/looseness back. Raising it makes it tighter and more presice.

Hadnt really thought of that parameter until recently - Ive been using damp/sag/HF and LF freqs to "taylor" the SS amp to being a little more like my old VHT. The B+ values have more effect to my ears than any other single tweek for this purpose.

Thanks guys. I will definitely be doing loads more reading and research on the specs and capabilities of the Matrix. I really appreciate your advice and input.

@KevHo. I know Deathassasin was discussing an interest (on a separate thread) in the Matrix with the passive Atomics. I'm also interested to hear how they sound together so by all means share your findings! :)

John, dont you have an atomic? I thought you could bypass the amp module in them and use an external power amp. Can you not try them that way? surlely thats the same as running the GT with passive atomics.

Yes Paul, but it's the older 112 18 with the docking station thingy. Already got it hooked for an external amp if needed. But obviously it's not the newer FRFR version with the tweeter. It's a great little amp to be honest. Use it with my GT5 for teaching, does the job and picked it up for £75!!! Bonus!!

Thought to share this review from the facebook site:

Ian H Barber
Tried the GT 800FX a couple of weeks ago on a 4x10 Hartke cab with/without bass pedal by a local metal band. One channel only and less than rated power( 400 for one channel ) we had the cab dancing across the floor. Very clean sound, detailed and amazing power. Kit drummer( full rock kit ) even asked that it be turned down, as he could not hear his drums!.
Tried it again last week the same way , as a replacement for Marshall Valvestate 2000, into a Marshall 4x10 cab for lead guitar with the same band. Result was similar, with the guitarist complaining that his distortion setting was 'too clean' and, yes, the drummer still complained. Awesome sound quality and power. The Hi-Fi at home has been transformed with this little amp too. Andy, you have a winner.

Hope i am not going to regret this..GT ordered! Now to sell my Vox AC15 and figure out the cab(s) i want to go with it and the Ax II whenever that arrives!

Anyone given it a run with the Vox amp on the Ax?

Mark,

I am sure you gonna like the GT800FX. Will need some axe-fx redailing though because of the amp its sound quality. Welcome to the Matrix community.

Regards

lol this is DeathaSSIAN ,,,thats my cover band's name ...and yes I am waiting for some review on the atomics and the matrix from @Kevho

Hi friends!

Currently, I'm using a Rocktron velocity valve .... anyone has compared these two units? Matrix vs velocity tube valve power amp ...?...i'm very happy with te rocktron...but i wanna switch to a decent ss solution.....

Hi friends!

Currently, I'm using a Rocktron velocity valve .... anyone has compared these two units? Matrix vs velocity tube valve power amp ...?...i'm very happy with te rocktron...but i wanna switch to a decent ss solution.....

Javi, which Rocktron, the 300 (old or new) or the 100?

I have a Velocity 100 (mates amp I was using as a backup). Decent sounding at low volumes but certainly has that blanket feel to it's sound. The Matrix IMHO is a lot more transparent and obviously has lots more power in abundance. I gigged the Velocity once at 55w a side @4ohms....it was like playing in Braille! Not loud enough by a long stretch and really couldn't handle any bottom end at that volume. Haven't tried the 300, although the other guitarist had an older 300 model which did well sound and volume wise but he still wanted the Matrix when I got that!!
IMO Even if soundwise they were similar, the Matrix outshines the Rocktron on it's other specs alone.

lol this is DeathaSSIAN ,,,thats my cover band's name ...and yes I am waiting for some review on the atomics and the matrix from @Kevho

I just received my Matrix a couple of days ago but I haven't had a proper chance to test it out with my Atomic passive cab. I had practice yesterday and ran it through my Mesa 2x12 and it sounded killer but I had to crank the level of the Matrix way up to keep up with my other guitarist - nearly maxed. I'm sure I have some tweaking to do to remedy this but work has been incredibly demanding lately. I'm hoping to have a full report for you and anyone else who may be interested by the end of this weekend - but we'll see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom