The EUs AFX2s are HERE! Cliff! Everyone!

The 48% price increase for us in the EU covers the 20% import tax duty + postage and packing and then some. If they were selling them here for the equivalent of the US price then yes I could understand them not wanting to make a loss but that just isnt the case.

Just to make it clear - as G66 is a company, they dont have to really pay the 20% (or is it 19% in germany? Dont matter, you get the idea) import-VAT. A few yeras ago, a company would have had to pay it at the moment of import, but get it back later form the financial revenue office. Nowadays, especcially if you work with one import-forwarder all the time, you usually file an "Import-VAT-New"-authority, so the forwarder automatically debits your account at the revenue office (companys have an "EORI"-number for that), and the rev.office equals it. Either way -> case closed.

Of course, G66 still has to pay CUSTOMS, but this will be somewhere between 3-4% (I would have to look up the customs tariff code for the exact percentage) instead of 20+%, packaging and freight costs. And, as he has to offer in EURO, he has to include exchange-rate-fluctuations. And last but not least: A business must make profit, otherwise its not a good business. ;)

Sure - the price difference is still bigger (imho) as it should be - considering that usually a distributor doesnt buy for the full price.

Another thing: Price for a "buy it now" Axe-II is not too far from the actual EU price. What would stop me, or any other, to have a friend buy it for us and ship it to Europe as "used electronic gear" with a declared value for customs of $99?

Becauss customs officers aren't idiots (contrary to the common believe ;) ), and they have internet access and know how to use google. You have to present an official invoice or a printout of the ebay auction as a proof - ebay wont work with the 99,- method, so it will be an invoice most likely, even then: they look up the common street price for the product. If the difference is too big, you are automatically accused of tax fraud. Not a fun situation. Not recommended!

I'm no expert on this matter but I believe this to be correct and I don't even think 'legally imported/duty paid' makes any difference!

US warranty =/= EU warranty.

In Europe, there are 2 different versions of "warranty". The first one, on which every customer has a legal right on (but not in this case, I'll explain shortly below), means more like "Ensuring the function"; "Gewährleistung" in german. This lasts per law for 2 years, BUT only for products bought as "new", and you can only claim it from the seller - not from the manufacturer, and of course NOT from the distributor if you havent bought it from him. (And after the first 6 months, YOU would have to proof that the defect is not selfmade)

The second one, the original meaning of warranty ("Garantie" in german) Contrary to the common believe, a customer has no legal right on "warranty". Warranty is given on good will by the seller. If you dont have a written confirmation from the company you bought the product from (!!) stating "Warranty: 2 years from the date of invoice" (or something like that; just as an example) - you dont have any.

In the US, this is all covered under "warranty".

Oh, and just to make it sure - NO, I'm not working @ G66 :D I just thought these things needed to be clarified a bit (at least I hope I did).
I myself have ordered an Ultra beginning of the year, late Jan, early Feb or something like that - I cant even remember... - and now waiting for the II. And I am very dis-satisfied with the situation. Its not that my life would depend on it, but we have been fed with false informations since day one, and thats unacceptable.

for those interested, I spoke to HMRC in the UK and he import duty on an Axe-FX into the UK is 3.7% of unit price + Shipping.....then you calculate 20% VAT on top of that

Plus £10 'Advancement Fee' for preparing the Duty Invoice if FedEx is used :evil

I REALLY don't agree with this charge....in fact it really grips my shit....it should be a transparent fee ie in the cost of shipping in the first place.

BUT they all seem to do it, so I don't know what the other options are....at least FedEx is trackable and pretty quick.

USPS is a no go due to lack of insurance and they hold on to your item and write you a letter asking you to pay the fees before they will release the item... this adds days to the delivery time.

Dont know about UPS, TNT or DHL...not used them.

I
Dont know about UPS, TNT or DHL...not used them.

More or less all of the charge it - "advancement fee", "customs clearance fee",...many names, same shit. Sometimes its included in a different fee, but you pay it anyway.

Tough, the costs are different from company to company...mostly around 10,- to 12,-..

hi guys,

as the situation is how it (very very probably, next to certainty) is
(--cliff and the rest of the fas team (thank you guys for the hard (over-)time you are probably putting into this thing over the last 4 months!) doing their very best to produce as many units as possible (why wouldn't they?),
--certainly no conspiracies going on. if fas had enough units they would sell them to anybody who would want one (no matter whether european or australian or russian or from whereever).
--fas waiting for parts and having no real information considering delivery dates from their suppliers,
--g66 being absolutely polite and helpful and telling what they know / what they can safely say (from a business tactics perspective) and cannot do much about their situation)

and how it probably is (considering all the contributions in the forum and elsewhere weighted with an estimated credibility score for the respective contributors)
(--fas probably providing slightly more units for the us web-shop for 2599 usd than for g66 and other overseas distributors (because presumably fas earn more from a unit sold for 2599 usd than from a unit going overseas, since they probably made delivery contracts BEFORE the frenzy at considerably lower prices per unit for the distributors),
--cliff still being unnerved by all the criticism and unwanted advice (which probably is partly due to the severe stress he is / was exposed to)
--fas providing any info they have concerning delivery prospects to their distributors (why wouldn't they?)
--g66 and the other distributors providing any positive info they have to their cutomers (why should they hold back that positive info?))

the only thing that is left to us in europe and other non-us countries from my perspective is
--wait
--PERHAPS take the freedom to POLITELY ask cliff in this forum to SOONER deliver MORE units overseas once the parts that are currently missing arrive

asking g66 or fas to also freely provide the "negative" info they possibly have is probably a bit naive from a business perspective. although i can understand the urgent need for information and the deep frustration expressed :-/: i've been waiting since march 2011 and (realistically) expect my unit to be ready by december.
-->(*EXTREMELY POLITE* (accompanied by small japanese bows and neatly folded hands): dear cliff, once the parts have arrived: could you please (if possible) send us overseas folks a slightly larger share of the new units than before?)

nice greetings
dumbleg.

Last edited:
:)))))))))
*arghhh*
yes shurely! you are absolutely right!
i am also severly stressed out (not only by the waiting :-D), so my brain is sometimes malfunctioning when it comes to names. if there is dyscalculia and dyslexia, there probably is also something like "dysnomia" :)
i am satisfied if i can safely remember the name of my girlfriend (which i also sometimes don't) :-DDD
greetz and thanks!

for those interested, I spoke to HMRC in the UK and he import duty on an Axe-FX into the UK is 3.7% of unit price + Shipping.....then you calculate 20% VAT on top of that

So its roughly £2500ish I should have ready. £2027 (current conversion) for the Axe FX and £400+ for Import and Tax?

So its roughly £2500ish I should have ready. £2027 (current conversion) for the Axe FX and £400+ for Import and Tax?

Huh? Are you importing it yourself or waiting for G66? If waiting for G66 then you will already have a pro-forma invoice telling you how much it is - there's no extra duty to pay - its a standard EU price - just convert the euros to quids on it.

The quote from BMF you have was concerning buying an Axe in the US and paying duty on it when coming back to the UK - so the cost would be $2600 (£1630) - then apply the formula

Huh? Are you importing it yourself or waiting for G66? If waiting for G66 then you will already have a pro-forma invoice telling you how much it is - there's no extra duty to pay - its a standard EU price - just convert the euros to quids on it.

The quote from BMF you have was concerning buying an Axe in the US and paying duty on it when coming back to the UK - so the cost would be $2600 (£1630) - then apply the formula

D'oh, ok. I was reading that out of context :D
I currently have no invoice, just the emails saying when I ordered etc and that if the numbers are high enough I will be in next shipment.... Should cost around £2027.

FWIW, 20% of the units we have received have been shipped to EU. 60% have been allocated to US. The remaining 20% are being shipped to Japan, Australia, Russia, etc. Historically we have sold roughly three times as many units domestically as in EU therefore we have allocated the units accordingly.

I know it's fashionable to think there is some sort of conspiracy and insult me and make disparaging comments at every opportunity but I don't believe I deserve the treatment I'm getting.

Fair enough Cliff. Thats the kind of information I (and hopefully we) wanted - and you didnt have to give it. if thats actually the case I personally take all my grumblings back. I know G66 only received their first proper batch (and that less than expected) this week. I am aware of the issues you have with parts, and I presume the less than expected Qty is due to that. I also understand you need to send a minimum number to get decent shipping costs (whether you or G66 pay that is irrelevant). it did seem odd to us EU patrons that units had been available in the Us for some time while none were available in the EU - but it seems there are valid reaons for that.

Once again Cliff - thanks for the info and an apology for any bad feelings I may have caused (I did start this thread after all, and we need you feeling good to continue the great job you do actually innovating and creating your sonic masterpieces). It appears the unit numbers are perfectly reasonable given the % splits you have quoted. My wait may be longer, but Ill feel better about it.

Last edited:
FWIW, 20% of the units we have received have been shipped to EU. 60% have been allocated to US. The remaining 20% are being shipped to Japan, Australia, Russia, etc. Historically we have sold roughly three times as many units domestically as in EU therefore we have allocated the units accordingly.

I know it's fashionable to think there is some sort of conspiracy and insult me and make disparaging comments at every opportunity but I don't believe I deserve the treatment I'm getting.

Thanks Cliff, info like this reallllllllly helps. This sort of info helps ease frustrations.
I'm sure the compliments out way the insults ;)

Back
Top Bottom