The Edge

One of the main differences in the SM58 vs. SM57 is the difference in the mic grill. The SM58 grill has more space between the capsule and the grill than the SM57. So you can't get the capsule as close to the source.

With both mics place at an equal distance from the source, there is less proximity affect with an SM58. Pushing "into" the speaker grill cloth gets the mic capsule closer to an SM57 distance right on the speaker grill cloth.

Also the mic grill on the SM58 attenuates the frequencies around 8K and boosts them around <10K. With the SM57, the highs roll off less jagged.

The first part of this clip is using the JYC VX30 L 58-IN CLOTH IR. Kevin actually got it by counting the diamonds on Edge's grille cloth and shoving a 58 into my amp. I think it turned out great and it's actually one of my main Vox IRs I use.

That sounds really good. Any chance we could have a look at your preset, without the IR of course.

That sounds really good. Any chance we could have a look at your preset, without the IR of course.

Sure thing. There's nothing crazy going on in the preset, I just set the controls like I do on the actual amp and have a few minor advanced tweaks. The amp sim is the Class-A 30W TB. Input Drive-around 3 (or just when your guitar starts to break up), Bass 3-4, Mid 5, Treb 6, High Cut 2.5 - 3, Master 10. Power Amp Hardness 5, Speaker Drive 1.75, Output Comp around 0.75. Cab Block has Motor Drive around 2. The IR really does most of the work for that tone, as the 58 sounds very different than a 57 in the same spot (which is why we used at 58 for that particular IR). But at the end of the day, use whatever helps you get the tone you're after. :)

It really is so cool that Edge is a Fractal guy. I started playing with a textured pick because of him, and it's pretty amazing that we all get to share a common piece of gear with one of our guitar heroes.

So no comp., pre-amp, reverb or eq. block in there? Obviously there's delay, we're talking about Edge after all! :)

Agree 100% with your second paragraph. To think, the chimey pick tone is all because no one showed Edge how to hold the Herdim pick. Talk about capitalizing on a mistake. lol :)

So no comp., pre-amp, reverb or eq. block in there? Obviously there's delay, we're talking about Edge after all! :)

Agree 100% with your second paragraph. To think, the chimey pick tone is all because no one showed Edge how to hold the Herdim pick. Talk about capitalizing on a mistake. lol :)

No comp, pre-amp, or EQ blocks. I always use the Reverb Block (medium room) for a tiny bit of room ambience set to 14% at 0.40 sec decay. I used the mono tape delay for that clip, but I'm LOVING the new Deluxe Mind Guy delay as well.

Sure thing. There's nothing crazy going on in the preset, I just set the controls like I do on the actual amp and have a few minor advanced tweaks. The amp sim is the Class-A 30W TB. Input Drive-around 3 (or just when your guitar starts to break up), Bass 3-4, Mid 5, Treb 6, High Cut 2.5 - 3, Master 10. Power Amp Hardness 5, Speaker Drive 1.75, Output Comp around 0.75. Cab Block has Motor Drive around 2. The IR really does most of the work for that tone, as the 58 sounds very different than a 57 in the same spot (which is why we used at 58 for that particular IR). But at the end of the day, use whatever helps you get the tone you're after. :)

It really is so cool that Edge is a Fractal guy. I started playing with a textured pick because of him, and it's pretty amazing that we all get to share a common piece of gear with one of our guitar heroes.

That's interesting you set the tb bass and treble the opposite of the "typical" tb V eq..

Too bad these ir's need cablab and cannot be purchased separately.. One needs to buy 1200 ir's and a 70$ software to use a couple ir's..

That's interesting you set the tb bass and treble the opposite of the "typical" tb V eq..

When I'm playing the actual amp in a room, I tend to have the bass a little higher and the treble a little lower like what you're saying and it really sounds great! But when I used this amp on the road and heard it mic'd up, pulling the bass back a tad and boosting a little treble made it sound incredible in the mix. And since these IRs are so accurate, I just used my same amp settings and it sounds just like it did when I used the real amp mic'd up though IEMs. I'll try your EQ out as well next time I pull up an AC30 patch.

As for the IRs, think of it as buy one AC30, get two Mesa cabs free. :) Cliff mentioned that they were working on Cab Lab Lite which is a free converter. So for the price of a couple Papa John's pizzas, you get world class IRs to take your tones to the next level. But I digress. I'm not here to sell you IRs. Someone had mentioned wanting to hear a clip of the OwnHammer 58-IN CLOTH IR, so I posted the clip and shared some settings for anyone else on their Edge tone quest.

Back
Top Bottom