The Edge

A few IR makers have created a ID system to delineate mic placement in relation to the cone. 1, 2, 3

The photo of the Edge's mic placement is interesting. He is pushing the cloth inward, to get even closer to the speaker. Would that be "minus 1" ? LOL

This is so great!!! Congratulations to Fractal Audio!!!! This was the little big missing star in the fractal's sky. Thanks Edge for inspiring us with your amazing tones!! Happy to be the owner of such a magical unit.

In this case I think it is best for the artist to be in control of these details, though I know that others have already stated publicly that he is using amp models. I am hoping that the European press will do some kind of interview or run down at the end of the tour so all of these questions can be answered for the world.

Being a pro edge-nerd (that's my main gig) I've tried to study edge's 4 axe's and came to the conclusion that one is used for delay only (labeled 2290, replaces his old tc's) in series with main signal chain, one is used for shimmer (labeled shimmer, replaces the old ams) and is run in parallel / stereo to the main signal blended in and out via mission exp pedal, the other 2 (labeled fractal 2 and fractal xl) are used for full presets including amp sims, so i guess they're at the end of the fx chain like his amps - btw, he's still using 5 real amps for most of his patches, however some - especially the new tunes - use a combination of presets using axe amps and presets using real amps.
M@, i know you cant say anything, but u cohld blink if i'm on the right path!! lol

About time lol. This is just great news for Fractal Audio. It's official and so very well deserved. Keep being the best. 1.03 sounded absolutely beautiful at my gig last night.

Great news, thank you. Honestly I only picked up the Axe FX II XL to have the perfect gear to cover U2 songs, I am their greatest fan! Great honor that FA and the Axe is now officially Edge-approved :)

*thumbs up*

A few IR makers have created a ID system to delineate mic placement in relation to the cone. 1, 2, 3

The photo of the Edge's mic placement is interesting. He is pushing the cloth inward, to get even closer to the speaker. Would that be "minus 1" ? LOL

Check out the OH JY-VX30-212 L SM58 IN CLOTH.wav and OH JY-VX30-212 L SM58 ON CLOTH.wav IR's from the @ownhammer @JustinYork collection.

Similar concept to that picture of the Edge's live rig. An SM58 buried in the grill cloth.

This is awesome news.

I saw the current tour in London a few weeks ago - then again in Paris a couple of weeks ago (Yes!! that was not a fun week!) .

I thought he was using the AXE for FX only but wasn't sure - I could see that he still had a lot of pedals out front including a Whammy etc - but did indeed seem to be using a Mission for Shimmer.

Can we please PLEASE get some of his presets - especially for WTSHNN, ISHFWILF , Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Years Dat, Unforgettable Fire, Mysterious Ways etc etc etc etc

Being a pro edge-nerd (that's my main gig) I've tried to study edge's 4 axe's and came to the conclusion that one is used for delay only (labeled 2290, replaces his old tc's) in series with main signal chain, one is used for shimmer (labeled shimmer, replaces the old ams) and is run in parallel / stereo to the main signal blended in and out via mission exp pedal, the other 2 (labeled fractal 2 and fractal xl) are used for full presets including amp sims, so i guess they're at the end of the fx chain like his amps - btw, he's still using 5 real amps for most of his patches, however some - especially the new tunes - use a combination of presets using axe amps and presets using real amps.
M@, i know you cant say anything, but u cohld blink if i'm on the right path!! lol

Yes, congrats to the entire Fractal team! I knew the Edge would eventually simplify and go with the Axe. It was only a matter of time. ;-)

I have a question Matt!

WHY IS THIS AMAZING NEWS NOT PLASTERED ALL OVER THE INTERNET AND GUITAR RELATED MEDIA!!!????????

Could you imagine if the Edge switched over to Marshall amps? You wouldn't be able to move for Marshall PR and adverts!!! I really hope you are working on some stuff in the background to capitalise on this fantastic news!

IR wish list...please!? :)

2425d6c5d09f6a71298e79baf0e8a646.jpg
That's exactly the same mic position Cab Pack 18: ML Class-A (based on a 1964 Vox AC30 TB with original Alnico Blue speakers) SM57 A1 Ace is. Actually I even played with the inward distance and I found the sweetspot not to be pushed in which would actually mean that the capsule is at the same distance as in this picture because the 57 doesn't have the cup. This would mean the proximity effect is similar. The main difference between an SM57 and SM58 tonally is that the 57 has more brightness after 5000hz. I recommend compensating for that by tweaking the hicut to where it sounds best with your guitar. :)

I love the U2 SM58 love. Doesn't Bono use it in the studio for vocals as well?

That's exactly the same mic position Cab Pack 18: ML Class-A (based on a 1964 Vox AC30 TB with original Alnico Blue speakers) SM57 A1 Ace is. Actually I even played with the inward distance and I found the sweetspot not to be pushed in which would actually mean that the capsule is at the same distance as in this picture because the 57 doesn't have the cup. This would mean the proximity effect is similar. The main difference between an SM57 and SM58 tonally is that the 57 has more brightness after 5000hz. I recommend compensating for that by tweaking the hicut to where it sounds best with your guitar. :)

I love the U2 SM58 love. Doesn't Bono use it in the studio for vocals as well?

Yes indeed. Although i'd have to disagree on the 57/58 comparison as I find that the 58 is much brighter than the 57, especially in the 6000-6500 hz range - we're always talking beta 58, which is different than sm58

Yes indeed. Although i'd have to disagree on the 57/58 comparison as I find that the 58 is much brighter than the 57, especially in the 6000-6500 hz range - we're always talking beta 58, which is different than sm58
Sure. And I would kind of compare mics to heads. Just like two JCM800 heads side by side don't sound the same two SM57s compared to each other can sound surprisingly different. Finding "a good SM57" can take some time as well. I've shot SM58 IR's and I like them as well. The main reason there's no 58 in my collections is that it's almost exactly the same thing as the 57 and there's no way I'm not using a 57. I'd love to go on a Shure spree and have an SM7 in there as well but truth be told people will get more out of the pack with a dynamic option from another company like the E906 which is one of my favorite mics as well. :)

Reactions: edo
+1 on the sm7, I used it in a studio session a few years ago and was very impressed. Suddenly all my amps sounded great at any settings, it was like an ultimate tone shaper

+1 on the sm7, I used it in a studio session a few years ago and was very impressed. Suddenly all my amps sounded great at any settings, it was like an ultimate tone shaper
That's my go-to vocal mic right there. :) Definitely one of the harder mics to place on a guitar cab though but it's got such fat mids it sounds really pleasant in a mix.

Check out the OH JY-VX30-212 L SM58 IN CLOTH.wav and OH JY-VX30-212 L SM58 ON CLOTH.wav IR's from the @ownhammer @JustinYork collection.

Similar concept to that picture of the Edge's live rig. An SM58 buried in the grill cloth.

Not only the concept is similar, the sound aswell. Have the ac30 model a bit brighter. I tested this combo recently and it sounds a lot like current edges sound (playing all i want is you, bad etc)

Back
Top Bottom