The Edge

I sold mine a long time ago :)

I had the A3, sold it because the A2 had a switch on the output for +4 / -10. Then bought the A1. Still have it.

Installed it into my rack over the summer and left it in one of the GCX loops that is attached to my Axe FX loop. Just made everything noisy and "smaller", which is sort of interesting, as I always thought the effects themselves are really great. It just sucks the tone way too much to be worth the return.

Within a few weeks it was removed and back in the closet with the other stuff I never use, as it just made my rack heavier.

Managed to miss this.. As a dedicated fan and Edge-wannabe, this is just the coolest ever. And the icing on the cake? I get to say I started to use the Axe FX before The Edge did ;)

As I consider buying my first FAS gear, I love hearing/seeing the level to which The Edge is using one! I am a big fan and love those songs and sounds.

I would love to have all his actual presets!

As I consider buying my first FAS gear, I love hearing/seeing the level to which The Edge is using one! I am a big fan and love those songs and sounds.

I would love to have all his actual presets!
Some sounds from the latest album are actually factory presets.. That's a good starting point I guess! Lol

No internet misinformation Matt, just 100's of hours of extensive personal research and A/B'ing! I'm talking about the live tone of course, for example if I remember correctly the tune "raised by wolves" uses axe fx 2 patch 1 or 2 for the verse and patch "bassman about to explode" or something like that for the chorus. Then of course everything in between is boss sd1's, korg sdd3000 and combination of a real ac30 and a real fender deluxe + the axe fx "2290". "Iris" intro and prechorus is another axe fx2 factory preset with delay block on (defaults with delay block bypassed), can't remember the exact number, but it surely is. "cedarwood road" sounds like a slightly tweaked version of patch 305 (maybe with an analog fuzz in front of it in place of the treble booster that's in the factory preset). Trust me, I've done my homework!!

No internet misinformation Matt, just 100's of hours of extensive personal research and A/B'ing! I'm talking about the live tone of course, for example if I remember correctly the tune "raised by wolves" uses axe fx 2 patch 1 or 2 for the verse and patch "bassman about to explode" or something like that for the chorus. Then of course everything in between is boss sd1's, korg sdd3000 and combination of a real ac30 and a real fender deluxe + the axe fx "2290". "Iris" intro and prechorus is another axe fx2 factory preset with delay block on (defaults with delay block bypassed), can't remember the exact number, but it surely is. "cedarwood road" sounds like a slightly tweaked version of patch 305 (maybe with an analog fuzz in front of it in place of the treble booster that's in the factory preset). Trust me, I've done my homework!!

Wow man, this is amazing info! I'll try these sounds ASAP!

I wonder if there is some sort of "quid-pro-quo" with artists - whereby if they're getting AXE FXII's provided and assistance to get them set up and "matched"....then the artist, in return, allows Fractal to release some of their most iconic sounds/patches??

Would LOVE this if we could get some for Edge and Andy Summers!!

Do artists come to the forum for fw updates or is that part of your onboarding service? I'd assume they wouldn't want to update fw in the middle of a tour!

Do artists come to the forum for fw updates or is that part of your onboarding service? I'd assume they wouldn't want to update fw in the middle of a tour!

I wonder if Edge would even do any firmware updates on his live rig after an album release to retain the exact sounds as he has in the Studio. Firmware updates have been known to change the dynamics quite a bit and can introduce clipping or other issues with existing presets. I am sure he has several spares that he, and Dallas uses to experiment in the studio as time permits with later firmware. But if you have a hot line to Fractal to work through the issues, then the risk is minimal lol.

PS: I have been a fan of yours for a long time for your contributions to the Edge enthusiast community. Your body of work, studies, backtracks, covers, tone matching, and insight are very much appreciated and respected!

I've never seen U2 live but watched one of their recent concerts on STAN (Aussie Netflix). The Edge is a great guitarist and creates a big textured sound. Whether the 'U2 / Edge' patches are exact replicas of what he uses, or are merely in the ballpark doesn't matter that much does it. The important bit is that they are good enough to bring some joy when playing, and get peeps excited and inspired. If that happens, then as far as I'm concerned, job done! He is a great addition to the list of artists.

I know some of you "Fractal Spotters" have seen the green glow behind him for some time, but today we officially welcomed The Edge to the list of artists using our products. I've been working with him and his tech Dallas for several years. Our projects have spanned the album "Songs of Innocence," for which we received a thank you in the liner notes, the rig for the promo tour behind that record, the rig for U2's 2015 world tour, and more. We've even had some amazing "jams" where he'd play and I'd operate Axe-Edit. Most memorable may have been "Bullet the Blue Sky" at S.I.R. where we set up individual pan, reverb send, volume, and wah pedals (with the power amp literally on "ten"). Though there was also an epic filter sequence in Dublin once... and that time we listened together to the stems of New Year's Day... :) Anyway, here is definitely a guy who can give your sound design chops the ultimate workout. We at Fractal Audio Systems are proud of this day, of the work we've put in together with Edge and Dallas, and that we've become friends through the process. Here's looking forward to many more sessions, innovations, and inspirations together.

artist-the-edge.567797d1ce7b92673a02c66a9be9caf73.jpg

Perhaps more widely than any other guitarist in history, the Edge is known for his signature sound—a combination of musical elegance, an exquisite core tone, and innovative effects—especially echo. For him to trust this illustrious sonic asset to the Axe-Fx II expresses that it meets his exacting needs, but also demonstrates that this guitarist is a veritable force at the forefront of both music and technology. We're proud that he chose to be listed here. www.u2.com
That's awesome

Back
Top Bottom